Just wait ...

pilot602

If specified, this will replace the title that
Well SDL has some fighters doing ops in and out all day.

Wonder how long it will take this time to "upset" the neighbors.

BTW anyone nearby they just took off @ about 10 to 10 a.m. 'bout five of 'em.

[ QUOTE ]
Well SDL has some fighters doing ops in and out all day.

Wonder how long it will take this time to "upset" the neighbors.

BTW anyone nearby they just took off @ about 10 to 10 a.m. 'bout five of 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

What types?

I don't know. I ran outside to see 'em but they were already gone. (They've not been back yet today).

My coworker said she saw a story on the news last night saying they'd be in and out today. So far they've just been out. I do know they were parked overnight on the ramp (or so the story aluded to .. according to my coworker. Gotta love secondhand info, eh?)
grin.gif

I hope they didn't use the self-serve pump before they went!
shocked.gif
cool.gif

Here we go......Wonder what the City Council (Ecton) has to say this time? A lynching?

Wonder how full their 1-800 complaint line was?

Military jets shake things up in Scottsdale

Diana Balazs
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 16, 2003 12:20 PM

SCOTTSDALE - Four military fighter jets roared out of the Scottsdale Airport today, shaking buildings, jolting some employees of nearby businesses and setting off car alarms.

If you missed the free air show, the U.S. Marine Corps F-18 Hornets will be back sometime tonight - the exact time is a military secret - for a thunderous encore.

Pilots from California's Marine Corps Air Station Miramar near San Diego flew into the airport about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday to refuel following a training mission, said city of Scottsdale spokesman Jim McIntyre. The pilots stayed overnight and left shortly before 10 a.m. today.

McIntyre said the pilots popped up in Arizona because their base is preparing for the Miramar Air Show this weekend.

They are expected to return later today to the Scottsdale Airport to refuel, he added. The city does not provide the fuel for the military jets.

"The military contracts with a private company that's based at the Scottsdale Airport for their refueling," McIntyre said.

Some residents who live near the airport have complained about the noise from fighter jets that have occasionally landed there in recent weeks.

Today's takeoff was music to about 40 spectators' ears who parked near the general aviation airport in north Scottsdale to watch the fighters take off.

"It actually gathered a crowd when they did take off," McIntyre said.

While many enjoyed the experience, it also sent startled employees of businesses in the surrounding Scottsdale Airpark to their office windows or outside to figure out what was happening or to get a glimpse of the jets.

"Is that what it was? I was outside and I heard the largest noise. I saw the people across the street that were looking up at the sky as well," said Alicia Henley, manager of Delicious Sandwiches, a restaurant near the airport.

"I figured it was a plane, but man it was definitely loud," she said.

McIntyre said airport noise abatement reprensentative spoke to the pilots Wednesday night about being considerate to residents' concerns about jet noise and to try and avoid residential areas when taking off.

McIntyre said the jets followed the normal takeoff pattern today, but the pilots did redirect their flight path over the Loop 101 Pima Freeway and Bell Road to avoid residential areas, including Ironwood Village, the source of past noise complaints.

[ QUOTE ]
Pilots from California's Marine Corps Air Station Miramar near San Diego flew into the airport about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if one of them was TomCatter?

shocked.gif
laugh.gif

*ducking for cover*

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pilots from California's Marine Corps Air Station Miramar near San Diego flew into the airport about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
laugh.gif

*ducking for cover*

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice shot.......
cool.gif

Sbe ...1
TomCatter ... - 5,678

You know what. I'm so sick and damn tired of these whiny little peons aroundthis airport. Shut it down. DO IT.

Then when sales tax, property tax, education bonds etc. start popping up I'll be the first one to trot out the "I told you so" sign. Laugh. And, then leave.

I soooo hope you get to do your last flight Mike. Let me know if its gonna happen and I'll take pictures.
grin.gif
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
laugh.gif

*ducking for cover*

[/ QUOTE ]

Rim shot for Sarah!

Actually, you definitely know when the military planes fly out from Miramar. When I was a little kid, my dad told me that I was the only one in my family happy to see the F-4s (that is not a typo, folks, I am that old) fly out to sea. I would scream, look, dad, airplane, airplane, airplane.

And in one of my former jobs, I was meeting with a client for lunch outside and we saw a couple of planes heading out to sea.

Wanna know how you can tell that San Diego still retains its military roots? Those planes flew right over La Jolla, which is a very upscale area. Yet nobody complained.

Well that's the last time I go to the so called "Delicous Sandwich shop." What did that lady think the noise was, terrorists? Pretty soon, we'll be doing right 270s after taking off both runways for noise abatement.

Every day, if you want to go east or southeast after taking off from runway 21, it's a right 270 for noise abatement! Now I wonder what would happen if I was on upwind and just started turning east right then. What would they do, file a noise complaint on me? Even the controllers have said on the frequency, "I can only suggest noise abatement, I can't make you comply."

One of these days on upwind it's gonna be:

Scottsdale Tower: "Cessna blah blah make right 270 for noise abatement!"

Cesnna blah blah: "Naw, don't feel like it today, turning east."

[ QUOTE ]

Wanna know how you can tell that San Diego still retains its military roots? Those planes flew right over La Jolla, which is a very upscale area. Yet nobody complained.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't, or at least wasn't at one time, Miramar MCAS getting noise complaints about the noise from the Marine helo traffic around the base?

WOW, that article you put up Mike was amazing. Where is the unbiased jornalistic intergrity in that one? I am really amazed at the punches thrown in the writing.

Touché Sarah!

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't, or at least wasn't at one time, Miramar MCAS getting noise complaints about the noise from the Marine helo traffic around the base?

[/ QUOTE ]

They might be. I don't know, I don't live there anymore.

But if I were to make a scientific wild ass guess, I think that might be because while the planes go out to sea and don't stick around long enough to make much noise, the helos go from Miramar to Camp Pendleton, thus remaining over land much longer. On top of that, they fly lower and slower which increases their noise profile.

It's a scientific wild ass guess so don't hold me to that.

Wow, whoodathunkit, a loud jet noise near an airport.

What could it be?

Did Santa Claus go TURBOJET?

Is it the new Sigfried and Roy UBERTIGER?

A UFO?

I'd like them to come back this weekend when I'm at home doing my lawn so I can enjoy the sound of that F/A-18! Screw my neighbors!
smile.gif

Actually they were supposed to land at SDL again last night at 5:30. I don't know if they're still there or not but they might be.

I tihnk we should write a letter to their CO and have 'em come back Christmas night and do a few hours worth of T&Gs around .. oh 3 a.m.

cool.gif

More reason why on my fini flight, I'm heading to SDL to get some "pattern practice".......Fu%king stupid, ungreatful civilians........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airport adviser criticized for calls

Military jet fighters landing at airport

Thomas Ropp
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 4, 2003 12:00 AM

SCOTTSDALE - A Scottsdale Airport Advisory Commission member who took it upon himself to investigate recent fighter jet landings at Scottsdale Municipal Airport is in trouble with his commission chairman.

Don Maxwell, head of the seven-member advisory commission, said it was inappropriate for Phil Vickers to call up military bases and inquire about F/A-18 landings at the airport.

"I object to any individual on our commission doing it on their own," Maxwell said. "That's not our job."

Maxwell said there wouldn't have been a problem if Vickers had made the inquiries as a private citizen. But, according to Maxwell, feedback from the military bases indicates that Vickers identified himself as an Airport Advisory Commission member appointed by Scottsdale Mayor Mary Manross.

"I'm not happy with him using the name of the mayor and implying that she has given him authority to ask about the landings," Maxwell said. "Besides, commissioners are appointed by council majority, not the mayor alone."

Vickers admits making the phone calls to Luke Air Force Base and the Miramar Naval Air Station near San Diego. But he denies identifying himself other than as a citizen and a Scottsdale Municipal Airport advisory commissioner.

"I made the calls because of concerns in the community about whether or not there's an actual need for military jets to come into this airport," Vickers said.

Based on his inquiries, Vickers believes the military generally discourages pilots from landing at general aviation airports like Scottsdale unless there's an emergency.

"It might be more of a show-and-tell exercise for friends and relatives," Vickers said, referring to at least one pilot who has family near the airport.

It's not known if disciplinary action will or even can be taken against Vickers.

Scottsdale Municipal Airport director Scott Gray said there have been an inordinate number of F/A-18 Navy and Marine aircraft landings at the airport over the past two months, including two Marine fighter jets that landed late afternoon on Oct. 28. Although many residents near the airport have enjoyed the free air shows, others have expressed dismay over the noise levels of the double-engine F/A-18s, which shake windows and set off car alarms as they power up over the nearby Airpark and residents.

It's still unclear why there have been so many recent landings.

The Airport Advisory Commission advises the City Council on policy matters relating to the operation of the airport, proposals for development, airport area land use, fees and safety concerns

I don't understand why people get so mad!?!? I live by some farms-I don't complain when I can smell the manure even though it bugs me. I also live by railroad tracks and was told before we built the house that the tracks were not used any more. Well, guess what, they are used oh 5-10 times a freaking day! Sure it bugs me, but it was my choice and my fault that I didn't verify what the contractor said. And we have several, I mean SEVERAL planes go over our house everyday, I think because it's where they kind of turn towards SLC?? Anyway, I think it's cool-we go out and watch them. My son can point to them before I even see them sometimes and he says "wowwww!" I can't believe how intolerant every one is becoming.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why people get so mad!?!? I live by some farms-I don't complain when I can smell the manure even though it bugs me. I also live by railroad tracks and was told before we built the house that the tracks were not used any more. Well, guess what, they are used oh 5-10 times a freaking day! Sure it bugs me, but it was my choice and my fault that I didn't verify what the contractor said. And we have several, I mean SEVERAL planes go over our house everyday, I think because it's where they kind of turn towards SLC?? Anyway, I think it's cool-we go out and watch them. My son can point to them before I even see them sometimes and he says "wowwww!" I can't believe how intolerant every one is becoming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Idiots from Scottsdale with their mansions and tennis courts and BMWs seem to forget where their ability to live that lifestyle comes from.

Beyond the borders of Scottsdale, few of these idiots seem to know what's going on........actually no even know what's going outside the walls of their gated community.

Makes me sick to claim that I came from Scottsdale.

Back