Just hired by Delta...

jimday1982

I'm not sure if I should be excited or nervous being as they're on the verge of filing bankruptcy. I'm not coming on as a pilot, but as a web developer/marketing professional. I'm wondering if anyone has any inside informaiton about Delta's financial well-being right now or any other related information that will help ease my mind. Do you see Delta going under anytime soon? Thank you for your thoughts!

Welcome to the biz.

Lesson #1: Any airline is a bad week away from filing bankruptcy. Was certainly that way in 1926, certainly this way in 2005.

Lesson #2: If we've got serious marketing people asking a bunch of pilots on an internet forum about airline viability, we're doomed.
sarcasm.gif

Have a nice day!
smile.gif

Bankrupt, probably. Out of existence, unlikely. Involved in a merger in which some departments will see layoffs, 60/40. Big changes in the next year or two, definitely.

Good luck. Enjoy.

DAL Balance Sheet

Here's a stupid but interesting thought, what would happen if all the legacy carriers united as one big carrier? What would this do to the industry? Wouldn't they be making some good money as there would be little competition?

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a stupid but interesting thought, what would happen if all the legacy carriers united as one big carrier? What would this do to the industry? Wouldn't they be making some good money as there would be little competition?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a strong feeling that the FTC wouldnt let that happen.

I agree. Unless Southwest et al get majorly huge and there's competition on int'l routes from foreign carriers, I doubt the trade comission would approve a large scale merger like that. They nixed the United/US Air deal a couple of years ago, even though I don't think that was even a serious offer. Now, if the industry went back into regulation, we'd see a series of shotgun mergers ala 1936 (or whenever the Brown Act went into effect). I don't see that happening in the near future, though.

[ QUOTE ]
. They nixed the United/US Air deal a couple of years ago, even though I don't think that was even a serious offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

yet they approved the TWA/ AA merger.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They nixed the United/US Air deal a couple of years ago

[/ QUOTE ]

so that begs a question that has been in my mind for a while. Do you guys think that would have been 2 bad things put together=really bad, or two negatives=a positive.

Welcome to the big Widget. I work in ACS in ATL. Like Doug said we are a few weeks or months from filing. There is so much change going on that its hard to keep up with it all. Mtc seems to be the new cuts for now. They have probably already cut the area were hired for. Just try to keep an open mind and head on a swivel...and good luck..

I never mentioned anything specific, nor do I know, nor am I going to presume things of which I do not know. Nor am I going to play the 'squeeze the creditors' game the way some folks wanted me to help them play 'squeeze the pilot contract' game either.

But I'm certainly not going to willingly play 'financial market pawn' and 'viral advertising' for anyone.

blee... sorry, i got your PM, but, it says that i CANT PM you... that your thing is not accepting PM's.

Whats your total time and multi-time that you got hired with? I know their looking for 1000tt and 100multi i believe.

Thanks,
Ivan

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Monopoly. Just like Microsoft.

If all the legacies became one big carrier, then ticket prices would jump and loads would go down. You'd hear a lot of passengers complaining about "those greedy airlines" and how they can't fly to see grandma for under $100 anymore. Yet, Disney can jack ticket prices another $20 a person, and no one would flinch.....

Delta...as in the Major airline...not Delta Connection the regional...hiring again??? When did that happen??

SA dude...

I've been wanting to say that for awhile now.. lemme do it again!

SA dude!!
nana2.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
how they can't fly to see grandma for under $100 anymore. Yet, Disney can jack ticket prices another $20 a person, and no one would flinch.....

[/ QUOTE ]
The ever important desire of staying in touch with family is just a little bit different that being able to go to Disneyland.

[ QUOTE ]
The ever important desire of staying in touch with family is just a little bit different that being able to go to Disneyland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was using Disney as a comparison, but since you brought it up. Before the LCC revolution, no one complained about how expensive it was to fly from MSP-middle of nowhere, at least no where NEAR what they do now. Now that people have gotten used to flying to middle of nowhere for $99 one way, if the ticket prices were to go up, then they would start screaming bloody murder. How about this then. Movie theatres. The ticket prices keep going up exponentially, but you don't hear the outcry over that you would over Delta raising fairs $10 each way. Besides, you can always get to grandma's the old fashioned way: drive.

Back