JUST for Doug!

pilot602

If specified, this will replace the title that
Dell cancels Indian tech support

[ QUOTE ]
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- After an onslaught of complaints, computer maker Dell Inc. has stopped using a technical support center in India to handle calls from its corporate customers.

Some U.S. customers have complained that the Indian technical-support representatives are difficult to communicate with because of thick accents and scripted responses.

Tech support for corporate customers with Optiplex desktop and Latitude notebook computers will instead be handled from call centers in Texas, Idaho and Tennessee, Dell spokesman Jon Weisblatt said Monday.

Calls from some home PC owners will continue to be handled by the technical support center in Bangalore, India, and Weisblatt said Dell has no plans to scale back the operation there.

"Customers weren't satisfied with the level of support they were receiving, so we're moving some calls around to make sure they don't feel that way anymore," Weisblatt said. He would not discuss the nature of the dissatisfaction with the call center in Bangalore.

Dell is one of a number of high-tech companies that have in recent years moved jobs to India and other developing nations for the cheaper labor, which in Dell's case helps keep down the cost of providing round-the-clock support.

Corporate customers account for about 85 percent of Dell's business, with only 15 percent coming from the consumer market. Worldwide, Dell employs about 44,300 people. About 54 percent are abroad.

Among Dell customers dissatisfied with the company's use of overseas labor is Ronald Kronk, a Presbyterian minister in Rochester, Pennsylvania, who has spent the last four months trying to solve a problem that resulted in his being billed for two computers. The problem, he said, is that the Dell call center is in India.

"They're extremely polite, but I call it sponge listening -- they just soak it in and say, 'I can understand why you're angry,' but nothing happens," Kronk said.

He added: "Every time I see a Dell commercial on TV, I just cringe. They make it sound so easy and it's been a nightmare."

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool deal for the corporate customers... still sucks for everyone else... They are incredibly difficult to understand!

not to mention to work with... doug was on with them for 45 minutes and I think he already said it somewhere in this forum - but he talked to one indian, one canadian and so on.. kept getting switched from person to person...

we've pretty much decided that Dell has become HP in the service department and HP in the products department because their products aren't lasting long enough to validate the cost of the machine...so we might just go another route next time and get a computer from a basic company and not expect a whole lot of anything since that's pretty much what Dell provides now....

I have had an HP Pavilion desktop for a year and a half now and have been very happy with it. Before this, I bought one of those no-names (an eMachine) and it was nothing but trouble. This HP has been terrific. Can't speak to their tech support since, in 18 months now, I've never had any need of calling on them! My HP was also very reasonably priced.

FL270

"Get an Alienware! They're bulletproof so that you don't need support!"

If you don't mind paying an arm and a leg..

They do make very powerful laptops though
grin.gif

You get what you pay for with computers. If you buy a cheap POS, you'll get a cheap POS that works about as long as a cheap POS should work for.

I use the same parts in my computers as Alienware does, and I don't have hardware failures.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I like Dell. But I absolutely HATE DELL WHEN IT COMES TO TECH SUPPORT. The painful part is that I used to brag about tech support but now when people ask me what computer they should purchase, I usually say "Dell, but only if you don't have anything go wrong with the system".

A few years ago, I had my mouse go out on a layover in Chicago on a friday afternoon. I called tech support, ran some diagnostics and they determined that it needed to come in for service. They sent Airborne Express by with a box right to my hotel and Monday morning I had a new laptop and all I had to do was pop my hard drive back in and I picked up right where I left off.

Two years later, my computer went kaput on a San Diego layover. They wanted to mail me a box to PHX and when I got home, I could package and mail it.

I had to talk to about fifteen different people with unintelligible accents and finally got them to agree to let me drop it off at an Airborne Express station.

Now they're saying it's going to be 8 to 12 business days before it's repaired and a few days thereafter I should recieve it.

I went from virtual overnight, hassle-free service to being out of a laptop until perhaps the second week of December.

They also said that I could track it with my "DPS number" but it doesn't show up in the system and the tech support guy with the strange accent took it personal when I said, "So, just to be sure, I'll pretty much get my laptop back when I get it in the next two weeks?"

Last night, I told my wife that my next system WILL be a MacIntosh because if Dell's the best PC laptop manufacturer, we're in a lot of trouble.

Dont even get me started on Dell support after my latest hard drive crash incident. I even tried to complain about the horrendous customer service but when I sent an email to Dell Customer Care I got re-routed through three different people none of which apparently knew how to handle a customer complaint. Bahhhh

[ QUOTE ]
Last night, I told my wife that my next system WILL be a MacIntosh because if Dell's the best PC laptop manufacturer, we're in a lot of trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

God no. If you want to talk about tech problems Macs are just as bad!

I'm not "dissing" Macs here ... but I've used one on a daily basis for almost 5 years now (everything from a Mac IIS to an I-Mac to G3s and G4s) and they are just as unstable as PCs. Plus if you're into gaming you'll be sorely dissapointed with the ports to Mac. There just aren't that many.
frown.gif

Macs are great machines but unless you're heavily into Photoshop or Desktop Publishing there's not a lot you can do with 'em. Now I've heard MacOSX is pretty stable but Macs are definately not the wundermachines hardcore Mac-ites profess they are.
cool.gif

If alienware is the end-all/be-all/shiznit, my next computer will be an alienware.

I'm so disgusted with Dell over the past year, I can't express.

You should have Kristie tell you about when I purchased her a laptop for Xmas, what a friggen fiasco.

Nah go down to ASU. Find a few Computer Engineering Majors. Pay 'em $200 - $800 bucks and they'll build you a true, hardcore machine. Complete with neon lights in the case (I'm not kidding about that either
shocked.gif
) if u go desktop!
grin.gif

As a computer joke, I know, goes:

Install Linuix. Problem solved.
cool.gif

I'm fed up with most manufactures these days. I rebuilt a friends Dell that stopped working the other week. We only kept the CD-ROM drive and the CD-RW drive. Everything else, case, mobo, HD, everything; went out the window. The video card failed a year ago, the drive went 3 weeks ago. It was a matter of time until the rest of the crappy parts stopped working.

Another friend of mine's Compaq's CD-RW and DVD drives stopped working. Wonder why.

I've built enough computers, maybe I should start my own business...

[ QUOTE ]
...cough-alienware-cough...

[/ QUOTE ]
Too bad nobody has mentioned alienware.

wink.gif

Actually, my wife and I just bought a DELL..... dude.
wink.gif
So far, so good. I'll let you know what I think the first time I crash the hardrive.

grin.gif

Oh oh oh, my friend's computer who got stripped down and rebuilt got a neon light in it. I've actually even impressed myself with how good his box turned out looks wise. The parts on the inside of the things are bulletproof now.

And don't go to ASU, e-mail me! I'll build someone a computer!

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
Oh oh oh, my friend's computer who got stripped down and rebuilt got a neon light in it. I've actually even impressed myself with how good his box turned out looks wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Computer geeks ... need I say more?
grin.gif
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

(It's ok I'm one too - just not quite so hardcore, yo)
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I used to build my own systems, something would screw up and I'd spend the next couple of weeks screwing with it to get it to work properly.

If purchasing a Dell is going to be more expensive than building my own, but then I have to wait for Dell to screw around for two weeks before getting it to work properly, there's no point of purchasing a laptop from Dell.

Man, my blood pressure was a'ok during my medical, but I can surely feel it spiking as I think about my dead laptop. GRRRR!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

ok everyone ignore john's post about him building you a computer. When he rebuilt his friends I got ignored for like the entire weekend (and when i only see him on weekends its a bad thing) just go buy an alienware, it's worth the money. my bro got one for college this fall and has been pleased with it so far, dropped about $2500 on it. (thanks to the MEAP scholarship)

Back