Just curious...

If you want to fly airplanes for a living, yes.
+1

If you've wanted to fly airplanes your whole life and are itching to get into it and do it for a living, do it. I'm a big believer on the whole "do what makes you happy" thing. A dream is a terrible thing to waste.

I would agree with the eternal optimists here. The industry may not be treating us newbie pilots very well, or the more experienced pilots for that matter.

I've put the last 5 years of my life and money/loans into a degree in aviation and flying. It can be a burden, but it's all lifted when I start up that prop and get that bird in the air, if only momentarily until I reach the ground again. I wouldn't trade my licenses for the world. My student debt, I'd trade in a heartbeat.

Is the industry frustrating right now, you're dang right it is and it sucks. But, I for one enjoy flying to the point that I'm willing to stick it out and make it happen because that's what I want to do. Even if it means I'm staying up all night having to deliver sunday papers and bartend. I enjoy flying the most and I discovered that (oddly enough) at college, sorta.

It would be my advice that you go ahead and give flight training a try. If you don't like it or it doesn't become a passion, drop it and go into pharme . . . . drugs like our friend a few lines up. If you enjoy it even half as much as I and many others do, then go for it, but diversify your skills. If this is a college thing, get an education in business, management, something else that you can use in case the flying or A/P stuff doesn't work out. I wish I had. That's my only regret is that I did specifically Commercial Aviation and concentrated on flying, not the business side of things. . . .

I think that's like four cents worth there guys, my bad . . . .

Cheers mate

Hi fellow pilots and future pilots,

I would have to agree with the above posters. You see for me, being a "professional pilot' is something that is in your heart, in other words your soul is drawn to it. Every body has differing circumstances in life, take me for example, I went through four very tough years during college while obtaining my ratings and my degree. After I graduated, I have moved around for so many flying jobs that have not panned out due to one reason or another. I eventually even made it to the regional airlines before I got furloughed from two different carriers,(those sure were some trying times in my life). I could have quit or moved on, maybe it's in our nature as pilots because just as pilots are trained in the cockpit to continue flying an airplane even if the damn wings fall off, we NEVER quit or give up even in life. So I went back to a CFI job, which I have been doing for the past two years now, I have gone back to college in the evenings, I am also taking my summer semester off to become a US Marine reservist, while I wait for the industry to turn around.

You have already expressed a desire to fly, the seed so to speak has already been planted, now you just have go out and get it. Remember airline flying is not the only professional pilot job out there. Some people have it easier in life, A dispatcher at our flight school had a brand new Baron bought for him to go and build flight time. Some people however like me, have to work alittle harder, but in my opinion working hard for something in life not only makes you appreciate more, but I believe that it can make you a better leader if and when you ever become a captain. Don't get old and at the end of your life regret your decisions. If you try and do not succeed for whatever reason then at least you Tried!

Whatever you decide on doing just remember to keep your options open, and consider advice given to you by other aviators. The day flying stops being fun for me is the day I stop flying period and through all of the turmoil I have experienced in this industry and believe me when I say turmoil I still love to fly and could not imagine waking up tommorrow and not doing this in some capacity. One more thing, Rocky Balboa once "said it is not how hard you hit in life rather how hard you can get hit and get up, that's how winning is done":o!

When I was really young [read 13] and just getting into flight training, I was talking in my garage with my dad and our family friend (CAL 756 Captain). I always enjoyed talking to him because he was everything I wanted to be. I remember him jokingly say "it beats havin' a real job". I laughed then, thinking he was being modest in the fact that he had the best job there is. I think of that moment often and I somewhat still agree. It is a job though, and like any job it will have its pros and cons. I don't like commuting every week, or sleeping in hotels, or missing birthdays, weddings, and holidays. At the same time, i'm not crammed into a cubicle staring at graphs. My work doesnt follow me into the next day and pile on top of the current days work. I can go months without ever having to see my "boss".

Im not sure whether or not I could recommend this career to you. Like someone else said whats good for me, may not be good for you. If someone asks I just try to provide real information and let them make the decision. I do think I have it better than a lot of people, but there are certainly better jobs, and this one definitely comes at a cost. Still, I haven't left and probably won't.

I prefer a ground career but my guess is that any career in aviation will be a good choice over the next 20+ years.

I just want to give a "thumbs up" to JC members like Jerry White7! It's positive thinking and encouragement that really helps people follow a dream. Thanks Jerry for all your words of encouragement! I love it! :)

As someone who pounded their head over this for about 5 years now - it doesn't seem worth it. I have enough trouble paying rent or funding a retirement plan as it is.. Imagine being 60k MORE in debt and getting paid 20k a year for the first 3 or 4 years out of flight school? It simply doesn't work.

Sorry, but I don't want to live with my parents at age 30.

+1

If you've wanted to fly airplanes your whole life and are itching to get into it and do it for a living, do it. I'm a big believer on the whole "do what makes you happy" thing. A dream is a terrible thing to waste.

I agree with that! I enjoy working on them and flying the small ones. Sometimes I think "I wish I could do that too!" when I ride with the crew on certain flights. But I know that we can Taxi the plane around the airfield.:beer:
Chase the dream and make it come true for you.

i'm reading this thread again while sitting in an FBO somewhere in Kansas watching planes come in and out of this FBO. Today is Wednesday and this is my first flight of the week. I have another flight to south Florida on Friday. My company bought me lunch today and an airline ticket home on friday. I just got a pay raise and my family is happy with my schedule and the amount of money I take home a month. I still get to fliight instruct on the side for extra money, and i do it because I still love flying and teaching folks to fly.

had I not had taken a chance a few years ago, (and a massive paycut) this would not be my life. It really is a great bussiness to be in . . . if you LOVE it, DO IT!! There are no freebies this is buissness, and everyone has a story of how they got to their first, second, and so on jobs.

The stuggle is a right of passage, the bad pay is nearly the same . . . but if you are doing something you love. . make it happen. If you dont have your PVT pilot rating yet, go get it, THEN make the call if you want to change . . .

GET A MENTOR!!! GET A MENTOR!! GET A MENTOR!!!! Get someone who will help you along the way. This might be your flight instructor, another pilot friend, or even someone from MMM Jetcareers!! Mine is Doug!!! HA!! Just kidding!!!

Go do it, get it done. . . hiring will start again . .will you be there?

I KNOW theres money in aviation, because ive put it there.
:yup:
Quote of the day!

And I agree with the general sentiment that if it's something you want to do, do it. This forum is a great starting place to learn how to do it the right way and how to avoid some mistakes that others have made before you.

It sure is a lot of fun.

Back