JUMPSEATING

Bandit_Driver

Gold Member
Just got an email from the company saying that if you are jumpseating and not sitting on an actual jumpseat there is no need to talk to a captain and create a cockpit interruption. I, of course, personally disagree with this flies in the face of everything I have been taught in my career about jumpseating. i have also been taught when traveling on a jumpseat agreement you are considered an Additional Crewmember and required to assist the crew in an emergency, which is why you cannot partake in any libations or travel with animals.

Below are the regs that cover all the jumpseat access. But what I cannot find is where it says I am part of the crew. The regs only seem to say I need to talk to the PIC if I am sitting in the jumpseat. This could be what is is driving the change here or something else.... Anyone have any other ideas? @Derg penny for your thoughts on this. Even if in row 26 I still have been asked for my license, medical, and company ID. I get asked for this about the vast majority of Delta flights...

121.547 Admission to the flight deck
121.548 Aviation Safety Inspector
121.548a DOD Inspector
121.550 Secret Service
121.557 Emergencies
121.581 Enroute Inspections

What airline? Somebody said Alaska has this policy. I could ask my jumpseat guy about it.

Personally, I'd welcome this.

That's only for company flights.

We got a heads up about this and, after a medium sized kerfuffle, got confirmation it only applied to blue juice pilots jumpseating on blue juice flights who get assigned a seat in the back. No idea why we got an email about it at all (omgmegerlolozz).

Alaska is the only airline I know of that has a policy for OAL jumpseaters, who get a seat in the back, to not checking in. I still stop by and ask for a ride though.

We got a heads up about this and, after a medium sized kerfuffle, got confirmation it only applied to blue juice pilots jumpseating on blue juice flights who get assigned a seat in the back. No idea why we got an email about it at all (omgmegerlolozz).

Alaska is the only airline I know of that has a policy for OAL jumpseaters, who get a seat in the back, to not checking in. I still stop by and ask for a ride though.

Yeah, I don't know why you did either. I also don't understand why anyone is getting worked up about this. You list for a flight. They clear you to the back as a non rev? Go to your seat. They clear you for the jumpseat? Go ask for a ride.

Doesn't seem very complicated.

Yeah, I don't know why you did either. I also don't understand why anyone is getting worked up about this. You list for a flight. They clear you to the back as a non rev? Go to your seat. They clear you for the jumpseat? Go ask for a ride.

Doesn't seem very complicated.
We have two separate listings for either the jumpseat or a seat in the back. Makes it very obvious when interaction is required.

When I'm offline, I always ask for permission, seat in back, or up front. (But I don't commute anymore so maybe I'm finally out of touch! Hooray!)

What airline? Somebody said Alaska has this policy. I could ask my jumpseat guy about it.

Personally, I'd welcome this.

Alaska, it’s a note in the FOM:

“NOTE: Flight Deck jumpseat riders who have been given a cabin seat assignment need not check in with the Captain. This policy reduces Flight Deck distractions and congestion.”

“NOTE: Flight Deck jumpseat riders who have been given a cabin seat assignment need not check in with the Captain. This policy reduces Flight Deck distractions and congestion.”
> gets told he needs to check in anyway
> profusely apologizes and hopes this doesn't tank his commute
> "okay, thanks, enjoy the ride"
> "yes sir"

I go to the ALPA jumpseat info website if I have any questions. It seems like there is missing info for Alaska though. The FOM note is not available information on the jumpseat website.

> gets told he needs to check in anyway
> profusely apologizes and hopes this doesn't tank his commute
> "okay, thanks, enjoy the ride"
> "yes sir"
Lol. Yea introducing yourself to the captain whether you are occupying the actual jumpseat or not seems to be the safe way of doing things just in case Captain Happy decides to make you do the walk of shame to the front because you didn’t get his blessing.

Lol. Yea introducing yourself to the captain whether you are occupying the actual jumpseat or not seems to be the safe way of doing things just in case Captain Happy decides to make you do the walk of shame to the front because you didn’t get his blessing.
> checks in and gets the "WHY ARE YOU BOTHERING US" lecture

The only way to win is to not play. Or just ride Company metal only.

And I’d venture a guess half the guys don’t know about this note. So be ready for a potential earful if you do go in the back without stopping upfront. :bounce: Ok probably not, but there are still guys I can see getting upset if a JSer just takes a seat in the back without checking.

Another FOM gem, once the cabin is closed and if there’s a FC seat open, the CA has the right/ability to move a JSer up to FC.

Another FOM gem, once the cabin is closed and if there’s a FC seat open, the CA has the right/ability to move a JSer up to FC
Our gate agents normally just upgrade them if a first class or comfort plus seat is open. On the rare occasion they don’t, once they’re on board, I just tell them to take whichever empty first class seat they want. Most of them just stay in their original seat because there’s no one sitting next to them in coach so they can spread out.

I don't ride on RJs, they're dangerous. ;)
giphy.gif

Back