Jumpseating with weapon?

LOGS

I'm been looking around and haven't found any information on either end. I'm trying to jump from Fairbanks to MSP at the end of the season here and I brought up my handgun with me. Can I jumpseat back with it or do I need to go through the hassle on shipping it back to myself? I'm planning on trying to go with fedex if I can. Since it's stored away it should be normal procedures where you claim it at the desk, they check it's unloaded and has a lock. Am I wrong? Anyone have any experience on this? Thanks

=Jason-

I'm been looking around and haven't found any information on either end. I'm trying to jump from Fairbanks to MSP at the end of the season here and I brought up my handgun with me. Can I jumpseat back with it or do I need to go through the hassle on shipping it back to myself? I'm planning on trying to go with fedex if I can. Since it's stored away it should be normal procedures where you claim it at the desk, they check it's unloaded and has a lock. Am I wrong? Anyone have any experience on this? Thanks

=Jason-
Unloaded firearms may travel in checked luggage subject to certain terms and conditions. See e.g. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Edit: I'm not sure how an all cargo operator with jumpseating ACMs would handle this actually...so you can just never mind the above.

Yea I know the rule above, I brought up my gun that way. My questions is if it's different jumpseating. I'll most likely end up calling fdx in the next day or two.

=Jason-

Yea I know the rule above, I brought up my gun that way. My questions is if it's different jumpseating. I'll most likely end up calling fdx in the next day or two.

=Jason-
Yeah, you stumped me. I would imagine that it wouldn't be too terribly difficult on a passenger carrier, it's just another nonrevenue checked bag at that point.

FedEx of all cargo carriers I think would be highly against someone jumpseating with a weapon... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

Honestly, I wouldn't expect that many (any?) carriers would accept a jumpseater with a weapon, unless you have LEO credentials or are an FFDO. I would highly suggest a call in advance to FedEx about it, someone here may have a number to call.

I don't mean having the weapon on me but having it checked in the luggage when you arrive. At the time you have to show it's unloaded and locked, and then it goes in your luggage where you have no access. Yes I'm going to just have to call but I was hoping someone would know and save me the call.

=Jason-

You can always mail it to yourself from yourself. You can not use USPS but can use Fedex or UPS.
Mike

Yeah guys have done that in the past. He said they pull it just like a normal jumps seat bag.

I've been in the same situation. In the end just ended up shipping it to a FFL back home. Fortunately I have one in the family so didn't have to pay fees on both ends.

I have checked bags while jumpseating in the past but you always have the risk of getting bumped and being the responsible gun owner you seem like, you probably wouldn't want something liked that laying around in unclaimed baggage.

They have a special tag for the bags with guns in them. If you're jump seating, they'll make sure it stays with you wherever you end up. I've done it a few times with no problems. If you're worried about it, shipping it would be a good option too.

I've been in the same situation. In the end just ended up shipping it to a FFL back home. Fortunately I have one in the family so didn't have to pay fees on both ends.
When shipping a gun to yourself you are NOT legally required to use an FFL.

I non-revved with a pistol once. I just declared it and had it in approved luggage just like a normal pax. I had to occupy the jumpseat on one of the legs but they assured me if that happened the bag would still go when I asked about that possibility beforehand.. I imagine it would be no different than jumpseating with golf clubs, etc. If you're jumpseating, let the agent know that you have a declared firearm in checked baggage. They may be able to help you out if your non-rev experience turns for the worse.

This is NOT the right way to do it...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...to-bring-loaded-gun-through-airport-security/

A Republic Airlines flight attendant was detained and then charged with disorderly conduct after she attempted to pass through security at the Philadelphia International Airport with a loaded .38 revolver in her purse, triggering an incident in which police accidentally discharged the weapon while securing it, authorities said.

According to officials, at 6:33 a.m. today, the flight attendant entered a Terminal C security checkpoint lane with a loaded .38 caliber Smith and Wesson Airweight revolver in her purse.

A Transportation Security Administration employee discovered the gun on the x-ray machine and notified police.

The flight attendant was taken to secondary screening room, where an airport police officer attempted to unload the gun, and it discharged into a wall. There were no injuries to passengers, employees or police, officials said.

The flight attendant, identified by ABC station WPVI-TV in Philadelphia as Jaclyn Luby, of West Chester, Pa., had a valid Chester County permit to carry a concealed weapon, police said.

When shipping a gun to yourself you are NOT legally required to use an FFL.

You are correct just not using USPS. I know nothing has been said about shipping via USPS but thought it might be a good point to bring up for anyone not aware of shipping.

Ended up just shipping my gun to myself through FedEx because I have a 75% discount with them. I also JS with FedEx, great experience and will be doing it again in the future. Really easy and really helpful people. I ended up trying to JS with Southwest from MSP to MDW but was denied because my airline doesn't have an agreement or something like that. I don't really understand why, thought SW was in CASS.

=Jason-

I ended up trying to JS with Southwest from MSP to MDW but was denied because my airline doesn't have an agreement or something like that. I don't really understand why, thought SW was in CASS.

My understanding is that CASS only gives you legal clearance to occupy the jump seat, but airlines still have various jumpseat agreements between them which determine whether a particular carrier will let you on. In short, being in CASS doesn't mean you can ride anyone.

Back