Jumpseating and TSA

I think it is the 767, 777, and MD-11 that we can't use because there is no physical flight deck door.

I’ve been on an MD-11, and it does have the door. Guess I gotta rethink my plan for this weekend then, crap.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No prob, that's what I've heard thru the grapevine, I have never actually ridden JS on them yet.

I think it is the 767, 777, and MD-11 that we can't use because there is no physical flight deck door.
Cargo birds typically don't have cockpit doors. I haven't heard of any restriction in regards to JS on FedEx. Maybe someone confused the JS agreement for their airline?? Or maybe they encountered someone who didn't want to deal with a JS. I've never ridden FedEx though so this is all speculation on my part.

The jumpseat listing people are super helpful. And yes, FedEx will not let you ride on an aircraft without a flight deck door. UPS on the other hand doesn't have this restriction.

The jumpseat listing people are super helpful. And yes, FedEx will not let you ride on an aircraft without a flight deck door. UPS on the other hand doesn't have this restriction.
I wonder if any reciprocal agreements are impacted by this. When 60% of your fleet other Crew and Dispatchers can’t ride on what would happen if the rest of the industry blocked 60% of their own fleet to fedex? I believe that it goes back to that crazed flight engineer that attacked the crew but IMO this is a long lived knee jerk. Curious what the industry thinks, maybe most don’t care because they rarely fly them anyway.

As of late 2015, FedEx didn't allow Dispatchers to occupy a flight deck seat. You could only occupy one of the cabin seats. However, some of their MD-11s had the crew rest bunks installed instead of cabin seats. In that case Dispatchers couldn't ride.

I never rode one of their 767s, but I had heard they didn't have flight deck doors, which effectively made the entire cabin the flight deck. Hence, no Dispatcher jumpstarting on th 767 fleet.
Ah so I gather the limitations are just for Dispatchers then? In that case and for others can FedEx just freaking unionize their dispatch group already!? :bang:

As of late 2015, FedEx didn't allow Dispatchers to occupy a flight deck seat. You could only occupy one of the cabin seats. However, some of their MD-11s had the crew rest bunks installed instead of cabin seats. In that case Dispatchers couldn't ride.

I never rode one of their 767s, but I had heard they didn't have flight deck doors, which effectively made the entire cabin the flight deck. Hence, no Dispatcher jumpstarting on th 767 fleet.
I believe all the 76 seats are up front. The cargo 76s I've seen were all configured that way at least.

Funny enough...I rode on the 767, no cockpit door, about 2 years ago. Maybe the crew didn't care and the jumpseat line had no idea? Plane still had the new car smell to it with virtually no cycles on it. LAS-MEM

Just got off the phone with jumpseat administration. 777 and 767 are the only thing that offline dispatchers cannot ride.
Great, only the two fleets that are the backbone of the operation and more so with every delivery. We shouldn’t have issues in another 35 years when they start to phase them out. I was worried it would be the MD-10s we couldn’t ride, that are dying out faster then a pizza at a weight watchers convention.

Great, only the two fleets that are the backbone of the operation and more so with every delivery. We shouldn’t have issues in another 35 years when they start to phase them out. I was worried it would be the MD-10s we couldn’t ride, that are dying out faster then a pizza at a weight watchers convention.

Still a free ride, so I’ll gladly take what I can get. More than most in this industry get.

Last edited:
Still a free ride, so I’ll gladly take what I can get. Ore than most in this industry get.

100% agree, but will also be joining the #FlightDeckDoorInTheFedex797Freighter club in hopes for widebody jumpseat access in 27 years.

I just rode on FedEx on the 767. Its Captain's discretion. The 767 has 4 jump seats on the flight deck and the Captain checked my ID and certificate and allowed me on. FedEx does only allow domestic trips because of this though, so you can't ride the 767 outside the US because there's no international cockpit jump seating per our friends at the TSA.

I'll attempt to ride each of their fleet type and report back on my experience

I just rode on FedEx on the 767. Its Captain's discretion. The 767 has 4 jump seats on the flight deck and the Captain checked my ID and certificate and allowed me on. FedEx does only allow domestic trips because of this though, so you can't ride the 767 outside the US because there's no international cockpit jump seating per our friends at the TSA.

I'll attempt to ride each of their fleet type and report back on my experience

Not sure how you got it booked. I had FedEx call me back 5 minutes later saying their system rejected it because I was a dispatcher.

Glad to hear there’s some leeway though. This seems like a fairly unknown policy at least outside of the pilot group. Flight ops had no idea when I was asking them about it a few days back.

Not sure where else to put this, and don't want to start a whole thread for this one question.

I know FedEx says you can book the jump seat max 24 hours ahead of time, but can I book any time the day before, or do I really have to wait down to the minute to book the jump seat?

You answered your own question. Listing can only be made no more than 24hrs prior to departure.

As far as riding in airplanes without a flight deck door, my guess is you were put into the system as a Pilot jumpseater (probably by default without volunteering yourself as a Dispatcher). CASS doesn't distinguish between Pilots and Dispatchers, you're either approved or not, the rest is dependent on how your profile was built at FedEx.

You answered your own question. Listing can only be made no more than 24hrs prior to departure.

As far as riding in airplanes without a flight deck door, my guess is you were put into the system as a Pilot jumpseater (probably by default without volunteering yourself as a Dispatcher). CASS doesn't distinguish between Pilots and Dispatchers, you're either approved or not, the rest is dependent on how your profile was built at FedEx.

Thanks, that's what I assumed, but sometimes people say 24 hours when they mean day before. I overanalyze, oh well.

What do you mean volunteering myself as a dispatcher? They ask your position when they build your profile, so you tell them dispatch, pilot, etc. I know CASS can't distinguish, it's either authorized or not.

Back