Jumpseat problems & TSA

I haven't had problems with the TSA jumpseating, except that they sometimes won't let me through their checkpoints without a boarding pass. I just request a gate pass at the ticket counter and that solves that problem.

If it happens again fill out the form. In most cases the TSA is wrong in regards to a pilot having to have a boarding pass.

The complaint goes to the National Jumpseat Taskforce which is made up of pilot from various companies. They then take this info directly to the top of TSA at their meetings to get things straightened out.

Dallas Love is the worst about that. I even talked to the manager there and he said if you didn't have a Southwest badge they weren't letting you through without a gate pass. Sometimes getting a gate pass is a PIA if the lines are long in some airports(southwest is convenient with the kiosks though).

Dallas Love is the worst about that. I even talked to the manager there and he said if you didn't have a Southwest badge they weren't letting you through without a gate pass. Sometimes getting a gate pass is a PIA if the lines are long in some airports(southwest is convenient with the kiosks though).

Southwest is the easiest to get a gate pass. Just call their automated nonrev listing number; I think it's 866-SWA-PLAY. List yourself and then go to southwest.com and you can enter your confirmation number and print out a security document.

The way it's supposed to work is that you go to security with credentials and say, "I'm jumpseating" then they let you through. If they don't, then fill out the form so they'll stop denying pilots the ability to pass through security without the extra hassel of going to wait in line to get a boarding pass that you shouldn't need. If your goal is to let TSA continue to violate policy then just get a gate pass.

Dude, you're either out in the woods by the house or... oh heck, I can't figure it out!

If your goal is to let TSA continue to violate policy then just get a gate pass.

Since nobody at TSA has ever heard of the company I work for, I've had enough of dealing with their constant scrutiny of my credentials, so I've opted to normally just get a gate pass and show it along with my driver's license to get through the checkpoint just like everybody else (I don't J/S in uniform). I actually thought the policy was that you needed a gate pass unless your airline operates flights out of that particular concourse (evidently I was wrong); that's what they've told me anyway, and since they're God at the checkpoints (and soon wherever else they feel like it), I took their word for it. Arguing with them takes too much energy; One time I was on a revenue ticket and showed my boarding pass along with my part 121 ID badge (because it was already wrapped around my next and I was too lazy to take out my wallet and get my driver's license)--they spent what seemed like 5 minutes staring at my ID card questioning me about my job until I finally just said "would you rather just see a driver's license?" I then got the most in-depth SSSS inspection I'd ever had.

When crewpass comes online, maybe I'll play the game. ...and when I'm off probation.

Dude, you're either out in the woods by the house or... oh heck, I can't figure it out!
I live 4 (driving) hours from base, the campsite at Shaver Lake http://www.sce.com/CommunityandRecreation/CampEdison/ is 1 hour from base. I have a two hour call out, and would prefer to live in the woods . . .sooooo I brought my camper down here and rented this site for the month (of reserve). A bonus is that with Fresno topping the 100 degree mark , this area is 20 degrees cooler.

Since nobody at TSA has ever heard of the company I work for, I've had enough of dealing with their constant scrutiny of my credentials, so I've opted to normally just get a gate pass and show it along with my driver's license to get through the checkpoint just like everybody else (I don't J/S in uniform). I actually thought the policy was that you needed a gate pass unless your airline operates flights out of that particular concourse (evidently I was wrong); that's what they've told me anyway, and since they're God at the checkpoints (and soon wherever else they feel like it), I took their word for it. Arguing with them takes too much energy; One time I was on a revenue ticket and showed my boarding pass along with my part 121 ID badge (because it was already wrapped around my next and I was too lazy to take out my wallet and get my driver's license)--they spent what seemed like 5 minutes staring at my ID card questioning me about my job until I finally just said "would you rather just see a driver's license?" I then got the most in-depth SSSS inspection I'd ever had.

When crewpass comes online, maybe I'll play the game. ...and when I'm off probation.

Understood. It is a pain to deal with TSA godlike creatures sometimes.

If you are dressed appropriately for the jumpseat, and have your 121 ID then they are supposed to let you through. I understand if they look on you with suspicion because your airline is not well known. For us there's no excuse, we fly out of nearly all of the airports from which I've jumpseated.
At KSNA they told me I needed a boarding pass, but the supervisor let me through,"this time". This was months ago, but if it happens again, I will fill out the form. If we don't hold them accountable, then eventually, we will be getting the rubber glove every time.

Southwest is the easiest to get a gate pass. Just call their automated nonrev listing number; I think it's 866-SWA-PLAY. List yourself and then go to southwest.com and you can enter your confirmation number and print out a security document.

That's what i do. And I beleive the number is 866-FLYSWNR.

Anyway, Bandit_Driver, thanks for posting that link. I've passed it on to our pilot group. I'll certainly fill it out if I have any issues in the future. TSA has to be brought under control or our lives will really start to suck.

Anyway, Bandit_Driver, thanks for posting that link. I've passed it on to our pilot group. I'll certainly fill it out if I have any issues in the future. TSA has to be brought under control or our lives will really start to suck.

Thanks. The only way we can combat TSA taking more and more is give the taskforce the concrete evidense they need to make their points and get things changed in their meetings with the TSA.

I too can't wait for CrewPass to become a reality nationwide. The last I heard the testing cities are doing well with the tests but this was shortly after it came out.

Has anyone used the crewpass system? If yes, how was the experience?

Back