Jumpseat on Fedex and UPS Flight Dispatcher in CASS

Used UPS many times and its always been a fantastic experience! Food is pretty good out of KSAN and WorldPort is a sight to see.

Called FedEx about 6 months ago and they said no dispatchers regardless of CASS and recip agreement, hate to say it but I am waiting for the day a FEDEX dispatcher to try and jump on one of my airplanes so I cannot honor my end of the recip. :0

From the ADF, as of April 2012 FedEx dispatchers are finally in CASS and will start allowing OAL dispatchers. They started implementing this earlier in the summer and it's carrier specific.

Yea, I had heard FDX started allowing OAL Dispatchers.

izanti, I agree with you. It was pure BS that they think a reciprocal agreement meant nothing. At least it finally changed....

I met a FDX FO that tried to jumpseat on a flight after I checked in last week. Tried to talk me into taking the 7:30pm A319 cause he was trying to get a connection to HVN out of the hub we were heading to. I needed this one cause I knew the 7:30 would be late due to ZNY being in SWAP and this hub in a GDP. I had to take a train to my Parents from this hub and I told him this flight would for sure get in after they stopped operating due to the GDP. Extremely nice guy and totally did not want to encroach on my right to the seat. Shook my hand and said "I flew for your airline before Fedex :) and said I'll try the Bradley flight, thanks". If their pilots are all as nice as this guy I hope to jump on them soon...

I have flown on them (FDX) a few times btwn DEN and IND, didn't have any problem and the crews were excellent. Glad to see that it is official.

From the ADF, as of April 2012 FedEx dispatchers are finally in CASS and will start allowing OAL dispatchers. They started implementing this earlier in the summer and it's carrier specific.

Whoa whoa whoa, your saying FDX dispatchers have never been in CASS until April? How were they ever allowed to meet their 5 hour requirements, assuming that each dispatcher didn't have to go get specific approval from their DO/CP each time they needed to ride?

Is FDX allowing international or only domestic?

You don't have to be in CASS to access you're own company's cockpit seats. CASS is specifically for using other carriers jumpseats.

Whoa whoa whoa, your saying FDX dispatchers have never been in CASS until April? How were they ever allowed to meet their 5 hour requirements, assuming that each dispatcher didn't have to go get specific approval from their DO/CP each time they needed to ride?

Is FDX allowing international or only domestic?

They were still able to do their FAM rides as McCrosky stated. ..As of right now no offline jumpseater can go international only domestic.

Hmmm, guess it was just my old 121 domestic airline where any one not in CASS or listed in OPS Specs wasnt allowed up front. And those listed in OPS Specs were really only essential personnel without CASS.

So why does for the most part every airline put their dispatchers in CASS?

Yea, don't ever let a gate agent tell you otherwise. You are ALWAYS authorized to sit up front on your OWN metal regardless of being in CASS or not.... obviously still with just PIC permission. Now as far as why airlines still put us in CASS. I mean I guess it's just a courtesy. After all the airline already paid their fee to be in CASS so they can add as many people as they want. In addition, we do as much of a big job in the Flight Ops department as our crews.

Yea, don't ever let a gate agent tell you otherwise. You are ALWAYS authorized to sit up front on your OWN metal regardless of being in CASS or not.... obviously still with just PIC permission. Now as far as why airlines still put us in CASS. I mean I guess it's just a courtesy. After all the airline already paid their fee to be in CASS so they can add as many people as they want. In addition, we do as much of a big job in the Flight Ops department as our crews.

I am surprised the pilot groups have been ok with it. Not talking about FAM rides but being in CASS which puts you guys in competition with them for offline commuting. I think as I have said before being such a small group they most likely feel that it does not pose a problem.

So why does for the most part every airline put their dispatchers in CASS?

I would imagine union pressure has something to do with it. Since dispatchers are authorized to be in CASS, a company refusing to list dispatchers would have to give a reason why - and since there is no expense involved in doing so for them if they already have the system set up for pilots, they probably just go along with it. And, the number of dispatchers compared to the number of pilots is so small that it really isn't a big deal for the pilot group - most dispatchers don't commute to their jobs anyhow.

Most gate agents understand that. TSA on the other hand, doesn't. "Where's yo uniform?"

Most gate agents understand that. TSA on the other hand, doesn't. "Where's yo uniform?"

If you're an employee, I've found most TSA agents are helpful. Recently in SFO I had one tell me where to go for a dedicated line for employees. There have been a couple of times where they weren't helpful or clueless, I must admit. A lot of pilots commute without being in uniform too, of course, if they are flying in somewhere the day before their shift starts.

Back