Jump Seat / Non-Rev Experiences For Dispatchers

Kev

RNP 2112
Of course we know that one of the major perks for those working in the airline industry is travel benefits. As the dispatchers are afforded a unique occupational privilege of jumpseating when permitted by the Captain, one would surmise that many of the recent non-rev difficulties due to route restructuring, etc. and the effect it has on seat availability is not so much a problem for the airline dispatcher (though, of course, they may be assigned a different priority).

Within the past few years, have any dispatchers out there noticed greater obstacles in obtaining cabin and/or jump seat passage on OALs, or your own, both with international and domestic travel? Do you find that your status as a licensed airman affords you preferable options in transit (business class or other) and do most carriers, regardless of code share or partnership, regard you as `one of the crew' when considering passage as opposed to other airline employees who might hitch a ride?

Of course we know that one of the major perks for those working in the airline industry is travel benefits. As the dispatchers are afforded a unique occupational privilege of jumpseating when permitted by the Captain, one would surmise that many of the recent non-rev difficulties due to route restructuring, etc. and the effect it has on seat availability is not so much a problem for the airline dispatcher (though, of course, they may be assigned a different priority).

Within the past few years, have any dispatchers out there noticed greater obstacles in obtaining cabin and/or jump seat passage on OALs, or your own, both with international and domestic travel? Do you find that your status as a licensed airman affords you preferable options in transit (business class or other) and do most carriers, regardless of code share or partnership, regard you as `one of the crew' when considering passage as opposed to other airline employees who might hitch a ride?

I've jumpseated last month for on Skywest, Mesa, and Southwest and I had no problems getting on. Its all about the etique. Of course, it may also depend on the airline you work for as well. Some Captains may or may not like who you work for and deny you all together. Your priority as a jumpseater is last to the gate agents. But once you walk on the airplane and introduce yourself to the crew, your treated as another fellow crew member, sometimes better than passengers. I haven't jumped on a long enough flight to see if I get business or first, but I can tell you that since you are the very last person to board the plane, and after you introduce yourself to THE CREW (Pilots and Flight Attendants), you simply ask them where they want you to sit. Most of the time they will tell you to sit wherever you like. Unless there is a weight and balance issue, I would say that you have the best choice. If there happens to be a couple seats open in first class, I would guess the FAs aren't going to care where you sit; as long as you are dressed for the occasion. Just my two.

When I worked for Midwest I flew Delta everywhere. I went to London, amsterdam, paris, Ireland. They were always super nice to me and always gave me business class when it was open. Delta is the way to go!

I find that now that I'm working for a major, I rarely non-rev on anyone else (except for our express carrier.) Helps to be living in a hub. Of course there are people who go overseas and need to get a ticket connecting from somewhere on another carrier to get to their final destination (from LHR, AMS, NRT, or wherever) but they just buy non-rev passes to do that...they don't try jumpseating on foreign airlines. Personally, I prever to non-rev rather than jumpseat, unless I'm doing my required observation time.

I did once successfully jumpseat on United from IAD to LHR and rode up front the whole way...kind of a long trip but it got me there. That was back when I worked for a regional, and pre-9/11...not sure what the rules are on that now.

I find that now that I'm working for a major, I rarely non-rev on anyone else (except for our express carrier.) Helps to be living in a hub. Of course there are people who go overseas and need to get a ticket connecting from somewhere on another carrier to get to their final destination (from LHR, AMS, NRT, or wherever) but they just buy non-rev passes to do that...they don't try jumpseating on foreign airlines. Personally, I prever to non-rev rather than jumpseat, unless I'm doing my required observation time.

I did once successfully jumpseat on United from IAD to LHR and rode up front the whole way...kind of a long trip but it got me there. That was back when I worked for a regional, and pre-9/11...not sure what the rules are on that now.

I still get offered the observer seat sometimes, recently, Mesa and Southwest.

I still get offered the observer seat sometimes, recently, Mesa and Southwest.

Oh, I'm sure it's no problem domestically. I'm just not sure what the latest rules are for internationally. I think it depends on the country and the carrier.

Thanks for the insight on this topic, everyone!

One would imagine that the dispatcher's 4 on-3 off schedule (generally) would allow some ample time for travel when the mood and resources permit.

Ever cover a shift for a co-worker should he/she need an extra day or have you had one do the same for you? I suppose this would vary from company to company, of course. Still, it would be interesting to know if you'd likely have to put off any significant international travel specifically for vacation time.

Thanks for the insight on this topic, everyone!

One would imagine that the dispatcher's 4 on-3 off schedule (generally) would allow some ample time for travel when the mood and resources permit.

Ever cover a shift for a co-worker should he/she need an extra day or have you had one do the same for you? I suppose this would vary from company to company, of course. Still, it would be interesting to know if you'd likely have to put off any significant international travel specifically for vacation time.

Yeah, shift trades are quite common. We can also do pay trades where someone works your day for straight time and you get pay deducted. The "cash days" option I've only seen here, but I've seen shift trades at every airline I've worked at.

3 days is not really enough for international travel if you want to do any sightseeing...I'd say you need to allow a minimum of five days just in case there's some issue flying home. Most people where I work do international stuff on vacation days though.

Your priority as a jumpseater is last to the gate agents.
Actually, I wouldn't say that. As a gate agent at Skywest, I can tell you its first come first serve. On Skywest, OO and UA pilots(if its UAX) or DL pilots(if its DLC) get first dibs automatically, but as far as OALs go, an OAL dispatcher who got to the gate before an OAL pilot gets to go if the captain is fine with it. I personally would never put a dispatcher behind a pilot for the jumpseat just because of his/her profession.

Actually, I wouldn't say that. As a gate agent at Skywest, I can tell you its first come first serve. On Skywest, OO and UA pilots(if its UAX) or DL pilots(if its DLC) get first dibs automatically, but as far as OALs go, an OAL dispatcher who got to the gate before an OAL pilot gets to go if the captain is fine with it. I personally would never put a dispatcher behind a pilot for the jumpseat just because of his/her profession.

Well thanks for the generosity, but I don't think most gate agents do what you do. I've showed up to gates way ahead before anyone has, but when a pilot shows up in uniform, they have gotten on before me. As far as days off, we work 5-on-5-off, and I can usually get up to 10 straight if I wanted to. It depends on how you and peers get along. Since we're such a small company, when I work, my counterpart is off and vice versa. Thats a nice schedule if either one I was single and could hop on a plane after work and two I lived in a big city. But because there is only Skywest that flys in and out four times a day and with a wife that can't non-rev, its pointless, thats why I'm out of here!

If I were you, I'd have a word with those gate agents. I know at SFO the supervisors would get pretty pissy if they saw stuff like that going on.

oops..posted twice..So What dont you like about Elko? I have heard it is a beautiful area. Just curious.

oops..posted twice..So What dont you like about Elko? I have heard it is a beautiful area. Just curious.

Cockpit Access Security System. Its what Pilots and Dispatchers should be in and sometimes must be in. Gates agents use your company code to look you up and see if you are cleared to board the airplane. Some agents use this system to determine if you are allowed to jumpseat at all, but it really should be used to allow you cockpit access so you have the option to sit up front with the pilots during the flight.

As was said, the Agent puts you ID# and company code into CASS, then a picture of you should pop up in a few seconds along with your information(Name, DOH, Company, Position, Hobbies, turn-ons, ect), and at that point you're name is automatically added to the standby list and an OMC(other member of crew) card will print out with your name on it entitling you to the jumpseat granted it is available. If we put your name in CASS and the search comes up empty, all you have to do is fill out a card which will be collected if you get on the flight and be on your merry way.

Back