JS on AA questions

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Trying to figure something out.

My airline has a JS agreement with AA and our guidance says to list for JS on AA by phone or through MyIDTravel. I listed by phone this morning but ended up not needing the seat (got on parent mainline metal instead) so I was trying to cancel the JS listing. Two questions raised:

1) when I logged in to MyIDTravel through our portal, the listing came up with my name and the PNR but said “FAILED” in the flight details and I had no way to cancel - the option was grayed out. Only option was to re-send confirmation so I tried that but never got it.

2) It seems that I CAN list as “Pilot Commuting” under travel type (vs. leisure) but it never specified the JS. Should I assume JS since I said “commuting” vs leisure?

It’s not very clear but maybe I’m not asking the right questions? Just want to know the right way to JS list on AA.

My airline has a JS agreement with AA and our guidance says to list for JS on AA by phone or through MyIDTravel. I listed by phone this morning but ended up not needing the seat (got on parent mainline metal instead) so I was trying to cancel the JS listing. Two questions raised:

1) when I logged in to MyIDTravel through our portal, the listing came up with my name and the PNR but said “FAILED” in the flight details and I had no way to cancel - the option was grayed out. Only option was to re-send confirmation so I tried that but never got it.

2) It seems that I CAN list as “Pilot Commuting” under travel type (vs. leisure) but it never specified the JS. Should I assume JS since I said “commuting” vs leisure?

It’s not very clear but maybe I’m not asking the right questions? Just want to know the right way to JS list on AA.
1. Not cancelling isn't a big deal. You need to check in at the airport anyway. If you don't check in then they really aren't expecting you.

2. I always use the "pilot commuting" option. It will list you as a D6B in their system which is a position for standby and the JS.

Don’t worry about cancelling on AA. And 2 is fine for future reference, MyIdtravel and change the option from leisure to pilot commuting.

If you haven’t already, download the ALPA app. Jumpseat info and especially the flight finder is awesome! The flight finder is the best because it’ll show cargo flights, and it’ll show possible connections on multiple carriers. Example, searching PIT to LAX it may show AA for PIT to ORD and then UA for ORD to LAX.

Passrider’s website doesn’t do that. So get the ALPA app.

For future reference: When I was OAL on American, using MyIDTravel, the gate agent would always give me crap about checking in, but AFAIK, only online jumpseaters can check themselves in. After a while, I learned that I needed to present my ID and say "Hello, I am listed for the pilot jumpseat, but not checked in" and they seemed to handle it from there, and sometimes get huffy about not checking in.

For future reference: When I was OAL on American, using MyIDTravel, the gate agent would always give me crap about checking in, but AFAIK, only online jumpseaters can check themselves in. After a while, I learned that I needed to present my ID and say "Hello, I am listed for the pilot jumpseat, but not checked in" and they seemed to handle it from there, and sometimes get huffy about not checking in.
Yes!, for years this was an issue. I told them I listed myself BUT there is no way for me to check in unless I'm at the gate (nothing I can do online about). usually this wasn't an issue...but refreshing to see that I wasn't the only one.

Just here to say MyIDtravel is crap. That is all. Good day.
For a hot minute a few years back some enterprising chap made the process easier by storing the basics and running a script to help make listings a snap. Lufthansa (who runs it) was none too happy. Good while it lasted.

lol there was one particular old lady agent in Miami who would insist I needed to exit security and go check in at the ticket counter on more than one occasion. 1988 called, you don’t need to meal list anymore and when they come by with the food you don’t have to say “are you sure there’s enough?”

agreed

‘my commute looks like a frownie face’

That's an airline issue, not a myIDTravel issue. Airlines don't want the actual number of available seats out there, as it can effect their sales, so the best you can get is the SABRE fare buckets, which vary from airline to airline anyways. Technically, most airlines prohibit their employees from sharing actual loads with other people. StaffTravler is one lawsuit away from being forced out of business, but hopefully that doesn't happen.

StaffTravler is one lawsuit away from being forced out of business, but hopefully that doesn't happen.
I seriously always wondered. That is why I didn't touch it on my probation period att he current shop. Seemed sketch.

That said I have an idea that the SABRE numbers will show actual loads. Just haven't taken the time to figure it out yet. A machine learning algo would figure it out pretty damn quick if possible.

I seriously always wondered. That is why I didn't touch it on my probation period att he current shop. Seemed sketch.

That said I have an idea that the SABRE numbers will show actual loads. Just haven't taken the time to figure it out yet. A machine learning algo would figure it out pretty damn quick if possible.

Paging @ppragman - see above.

That's an airline issue, not a myIDTravel issue. Airlines don't want the actual number of available seats out there, as it can effect their sales, so the best you can get is the SABRE fare buckets, which vary from airline to airline anyways. Technically, most airlines prohibit their employees from sharing actual loads with other people. StaffTravler is one lawsuit away from being forced out of business, but hopefully that doesn't happen.
Airlines essentially do the same via their apps and websites by sharing seat maps, this of course drills down a bit more accurately. Having been around since 2015 I feel like they have found a good balance to appease management concerns. KLM is the only recent airline that I know of that stopped cooperating with them but otherwise it seems to be humming along. Let's hope so at least.

Always list as Pilot Commuting if you don't want to pay and be eligible to actually ride in the jumpseat. If you list as a ZED, it'll charge you like any other ZED and you won't be listed as eligible for the jump. The pilot commuting listing automatically makes you a D6UJ, which is offline pilot jumpseater. Don't worry about cancelling the listing. If you didn't check in, you won't appear on the standby list anyway.

Always list as Pilot Commuting if you don't want to pay and be eligible to actually ride in the jumpseat. If you list as a ZED, it'll charge you like any other ZED and you won't be listed as eligible for the jump. The pilot commuting listing automatically makes you a D6UJ, which is offline pilot jumpseater. Don't worry about cancelling the listing. If you didn't check in, you won't appear on the standby list anyway.

Thanks - I appreciate that info.

In my case, I was already inside security, but it was an hour to the flight and the gate agent wasn't there yet. Would best bet have been to go back to Ticketing and try to check in there or just wait for the gate agent, had I needed the flight?

In my case, I was already inside security, but it was an hour to the flight and the gate agent wasn't there yet. Would best bet have been to go back to Ticketing and try to check in there or just wait for the gate agent, had I needed the flight?
Assuming you aren't already inside security and there isn't a line I recommend checking in at ticketing. AA is first come first serve based on time of check-in.

Paging @ppragman - see above.
with enough data anything is possible (well almost anything, there has to be some underlying relationship). Last semester we did bike demand forecasting for a bike sharing app, so I think you could do a similar sort of thing with a multi-layer perception (simple old school neural network). Hard to tell without good "input and output" data.

Ultimately, this all works more or less like this Ax = y. A is some gigantic matrix, x is a vector of input data from sabre (which I don't really understand entirely what is in there) then y would have to be the actual loads as a source of truth (or truth-like values). So if actual load factor is not possible to get you're not going to be able to build a very good model (most likely). There are ways to infer things, but it's hard.

Go to any agent who doesn't look frantically busy, ask politely if they have time to help you? I've had good luck with this.

Back