Joining ANG (or Reserves) After Major Airline Job

ajm757

Say if you get hired by a Legacy at 27 or 28. Is it doable to join the ANG or Air Force Reserves as a pilot after getting your dream job? Maybe it's something you've always thought about doing but civilian flying (e.g. regionals) got in the way. And now you find yourself already starting at a Legacy.

My 2 cents.....
Yes.....possible but tough road to travel. Best to join now and get preliminary training knocked out. Fly for your real job and wait. Units will most likely want you to hang out in the unit for a couple of years as they wait for a slot and also to get to know you because training slots are limited. My Company commander in Iraq is a Jetcareers-owner competitor and was a KC-10 Command Pilot during the same time period. He's an instructor in the Pegasus now (or was last we talked) all the while working for the major.
Doable, NOT easy.......of course with the AF pilot shortage, you might jump right in. Talk to your local ANG/Air Reserve unit and see where they are.

P.S. Don't mention your membership in the Guard/Reserves unless specifically asked.....they don't tend to like that you will be gone so it has been a factor in hiring in the past....

P.S. Don't mention your membership in the Guard/Reserves unless specifically asked.....they don't tend to like that you will be gone so it has been a factor in hiring in the past....
How is that legal?
Seeing C-17 time in your logbook last week might be a sign.

How is that legal?
Seeing C-17 time in your logbook last week might be a sign.
It's NOT but experience says, "It happens!"

For clarity I SHOULD have written..... P.S. Don't mention your membership in the Guard/Reserves unless specifically asked.....they don't tend to like that you will be gone so it has been a factor in hiring in the past.... AND, if they don't ask, don't tell until you're hired and complete probation.
THEN tell them or join the Guard/Reserve. They can't do anything to you then!

I don't think airlines + reserves/guard is, in of itself, super difficult. Everyone I fly with in my reserve squadron is also a pilot at the majors. If anything, an airline job is one of the few careers that are compatible with a flying gig in the reserves (read: it's generally a lot more than "1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year"). As long as you aren't "double commuting", you should have plenty of days off per month to go do your mil flying thing, or you can just go on mil leave and drop trips that interfere. Never heard of any of those guys getting any heat for, or even being questioned about, doing so.

To your question though, I think you are asking about doing this in reverse, i.e. starting the legacy job, then basically dropping out on mil leave to do your mil flight training and whatever additional seasoning time is required? I could see how that might be a weird thing during an interview if you offered up the fact that you had accepted a guard job and would be leaving for training for a few years in the near future. I don't think USERRA would protect you if your military employment was a future tense thing. You also might be away on mil leave for upwards of 3-4 years if you factor in OTS + UPT/IFF + FTU + additional mission qual time. That's probably what dustoff is referring to, in terms of it being challenging and something that might raise HR eyebrows. If you were already affiliated with a guard/reserve unit, then you would just be one of thousands of other legacy/mainline pilots who do the same thing. Most guys I know who required a significant amount of time on mil leave (winged and prior active duty in a different airframe, but new to guard, needing to complete training in a new aircraft), did so after they finished OE and consolidation at their respective airline.

Everyone has a different experience of course, so these are just my thoughts based on guys/gals I know in my particular corner of mil aviation. The one thing I would emphasize is: don't even consider putting the legacy job on hold for any of this. If you get that job, grab your seniority number and then see if you can make the guard/reserves work out. Not the other way around.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It sounds like this may not be a great choice as my part-time job while flying for a legacy. I always thought the military flying would be interesting, but it may not be compatible now. I was also really in search of part-time work in addition to the airline flying.

USERRA will protect you in the scenario you mentioned. If you're on board with a major (or any other job for that matter) and then join the military, you have 30 days MAX to notify the employer of your military commitment.
I was more worried about a major accepting @ajm757 as an employee knowing about the military commitment. Also, during the probation period they can drop you for almost anything.

@ajm757 If this is something you want to pursue, don't waste time, you're not young as these things go.

USERRA will protect you in the scenario you mentioned. If you're on board with a major (or any other job for that matter) and then join the military, you have 30 days MAX to notify the employer of your military commitment.
I was more worried about a major accepting @ajm757 as an employee knowing about the military commitment. Also, during the probation period they can drop you for almost anything.

@ajm757 If this is something you want to pursue, don't waste time, you're not young as these things go.
I don’t think it’s a viable path for me now that I’m so old to do it and already at the airlines. I want a part time job. Do you have any suggestions other than military?

Not stating that; you're too old! You just don't have a couple of years to "mull it over".
If you're already on board an airline, go talk to a military unit and explore your options. The airline has to give you the time off and you maintain your seniority, best case scenario!

Not stating that; you're too old! You just don't have a couple of years to "mull it over".
If you're already on board an airline, go talk to a military unit and explore your options. The airline has to give you the time off and you maintain your seniority, best case scenario!
Yeah but probation lasts a year and like you said time is of the essence. I’m brainstorming jobs now, that’s why I thought the ANG would be a good choice

I wouldn’t discount it before you at least talked to them.
Join the day after your probation ends……!

Say if you get hired by a Legacy at 27 or 28. Is it doable to join the ANG or Air Force Reserves as a pilot after getting your dream job? Maybe it's something you've always thought about doing but civilian flying (e.g. regionals) got in the way. And now you find yourself already starting at a Legacy.

I did exactly that. I was hired at a major airline, then went to the Reserves about 3 years in. Not super common and you will get a lot of funny looks but it is totally doable. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

I did exactly that. I was hired at a major airline, then went to the Reserves about 3 years in. Not super common and you will get a lot of funny looks but it is totally doable. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

Boom...and there is your answer OP. Thanks for sharing cmhumpr!

If you can be talked out of it this easily, then the military life, even as a part-timer, probably isn't for you. There's a lot more under the surface to wearing the uniform, and it takes a deeper drive to get through the bad parts.

When airline pilots go on military leave, do they get paid at all? Any retirement contributions?

I don't know what to do with my life Mike. Right now I don't think I could even pass a physical to get in. I'm trying to explore other options too.

That’s fair. Was just asking. Good thing is, there are lots of options these days. Far more than when I was coming up a few decades ago.

Back