John Travolta an Air Transport Pilot!

JGriffis

I just watch a special on Travolta...I knew he was into planes but had no idea to this extent. He said he got certified in 737s last year, and he is about to get certified in 757s. It must be nice to just have the cash to go get certified in a 757!

What's even EVEN more nicer is having the cash to fly it around!
blush.gif

I thought he had a type rating in the 707 too? I know he was sitting in the left seat flying that thing around the world for Qantas last year. Was that PIC time?

The last time I had checked out his ratings and whatnot on the FAA's website (not that I check it out frequently, just when I learned about all of his aviation interests), he was not type rated in anything like his 707 or a 737. He was type rated in a few smaller corp jets and one of them was only day VFR if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Here is the info as it stands right now.....

Certificates

1 of 1

DOI : 09/04/2003
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT

Rating(s):

PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Type Ratings

P/CE-500 P/G-1159 P/HS-125 P/LR-JET

Limits
CE-500 (VFR ONLY).

[ QUOTE ]
I thought he had a type rating in the 707 too? I know he was sitting in the left seat flying that thing around the world for Qantas last year. Was that PIC time?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was flying his personal 707 which he repainted in the original Quantas colors (with the permission from Quantas). The 707 he owns was originally delivered to Quantas.

I saw Travolta in FLL once.

I was sitting in the restaurant with my student when a Gulfstream taxied up. It taxied really fast directly toward the restaurant and made a snap turn at the last moment.

My student said, "That guy really thinks he's hot sh--."

As we watched, a man with an entourage got off and walked in. Several minutes later, as they walked out to depart, the man signed autographs for the rampers.

It turned out it was Travolta.

Yes, I'll say it, I'm a little jealous of him. It must have cost a penny just to buy that damn 707. I saw something about it on DWings, and the inside is pretty luxurious.
I don't know, though, I can get pretty wacko about airplanes, but I ain't naming my kid "Jett"
tongue.gif

As I've mentioned before, a CFI buddy of mine named his daughter Piper. Stranger things have happened ...

Thanks, Steve.

[ QUOTE ]

As I've mentioned before, a CFI buddy of mine named his daughter Piper. Stranger things have happened ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought that Jenny Curtiss would be a good name for a girl.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
but I ain't naming my kid "Jett"
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually got a friend named Jet...though it doesn't have anything to do with planes; it's a diminuative of her real name Jeanette.

The "office dog" at my FBO is called Spinner. You won't catch me naming any kid of mine after anything having to do with flying--Aviation names are better left to pets and people names are better left to, humans--*cough, ted, cough*.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Qantas helped him obtain his 747 rating, too!!!

In 2002 he did a tour promotion thing for Qantas in his 707 and is known as their "Ambassador-at-Large".

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/travoltaPromo

I am also pretty sure they helped him get his 737 rating.......

John Travolta is sooooooooooo cool!!!!!
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't type rated in either of those aircraft. If he is, the FAA website isn't updated yet. If you notice my post above, the ratings I posted in an above post are the most current ones available.

Sorry.....somehow seemed to miss your post before mine.

Ummmm........weird..... http://www.privatair.com/news/articles/Travolta.html

Is it possible that they might be on the CASA web site, because after all he did his training in Australia with Qantas.....I've read stuff about him getting them...maybe it is wrong, maybe not.

Just last year I remember him making a special trips to Australia just so he could do his 737 training and the year before he was making trips for the 747..

How can he be flying his 707 around without being rated in it or anything similar, can he do that legally??
confused.gif

I reckon the ratings might be listed on the CASA website...I'll see what I can find....
smirk.gif

He can be flying his 707 wherever he wants, but he isn't logging PIC in it. I suppose it's possible he has the rating overseas, but if he had the training overseas, I think all he would need is a checkride over here and he would have it for the FAA. I'm not sure on that part of the regs, but it's under 61.75 or somewhere around there.

Didn't realize I said "post" about a million times in one sentance above. Sorry, long day.
smile.gif

Travolta's a nice guy. One of my former teachers' sons is a pilot in the air force and met him one day in Florida. Real cool guy, showed him around his 707 and shot the breeze for a while.

-tiger

Back