Job boards posting nonexistent positions?

texas_pilot

I notice that some jobs are just thrown back up as if they were being actively solicited. I saw my own employer up there different days for both types aircraft we fly- then I questioned my HR cause I'm thinking about moving on to their Beech 99 from a Van. He assured me they haven't posted with ANY of the job boards in months.
I just saw another past employer advertising for pilots- from an airport address they moved from 2 years ago.
I called Cherry Air HR last year and was informed they would bring guys back from furlough before they retrained anybody new in a Falcon.

I feel better about realizing this -sometimes when we apply and never get ANY response, it might be cause a HR dept was covered up with pilot applicants they weren't needing or wanting.
OK, some are jobs are real-the Director of Pilot Recruitment @ Cape Air did just reply, thanked me for my Resume and very nicely stated specifically he isn't currently hiring PART TIME flight crews.
Just my thoughts, no actual proof anything Hinky is goin on ,...
icon6.gif

Might be. In down markets, the worst place to search for a job is a job posting site in any profession.

I know if I had an HR department looking to hire someone, I'd heavily rely on internal recommendations. By the time the company has run out of internals and friends-of-friends, it's a pretty stale position by the time it hits the internets.

Monster.com? Meh.... Maybe in a hot market with more jobs than candidates.

It could be one of "reposting bots". I have heard of them used extensively on sites like "Craigslist". The bot will roam and pull ads off of the sites and continuously repost them months later on several different sites. I bought the Piper back in July, but there are still TONS of ads out there for it. When I called the guy who sold it, he told me he had the ad (posted on 1 site) pulled right after the purchase but still gets about a call a day about it! :) Guess it's good to know I could sell it pretty quick if I needed too!

I don't really blame em. They have to make it look like they are THE job site to be paying money to. Just not a whole lot out there to post right now.

Looking again today, I believe 90% of the jobs listed on the boards are hogwash.
Yeah, when Cape Air or Flight Express lists- then Bless Their Hearts, I believe it.
When something for a 777 in TimBucTou (sp) or similiar posts occur, along with out of date info on Stateside companies, I wonder why I paid for a full year subscription.
Again, no names were mentioned,.....
icon6.gif

I think I've only gotten one call for the two job boards I pay for the priviledge to view :rolleyes: The good job leads are on boards like this. Just a few weeks ago I got a call as a result of this board! I'm not sure if it'll go anywhere, but it's nice just to get a call!

I've recieved a few responses in the past, but for the last few months- the one i board I joined just doesn't pass the 'smell test'.
icon6.gif

I got my current gig from 350. Total cold call, no internal referral, no nothin. It does happen. I'll grant you it doesn't happen very often and that this was in a better time for hiring, but still, they're not totally worthless.

I notice that some jobs are just thrown back up as if they were being actively solicited. I saw my own employer up there different days for both types aircraft we fly- then I questioned my HR cause I'm thinking about moving on to their Beech 99 from a Van. He assured me they haven't posted with ANY of the job boards in months.
I just saw another past employer advertising for pilots- from an airport address they moved from 2 years ago.
I called Cherry Air HR last year and was informed they would bring guys back from furlough before they retrained anybody new in a Falcon.

I feel better about realizing this -sometimes when we apply and never get ANY response, it might be cause a HR dept was covered up with pilot applicants they weren't needing or wanting.
OK, some are jobs are real-the Director of Pilot Recruitment @ Cape Air did just reply, thanked me for my Resume and very nicely stated specifically he isn't currently hiring PART TIME flight crews.
Just my thoughts, no actual proof anything Hinky is goin on ,...
icon6.gif

I check www.indeed.com regularly as it has a customizable job search that searches many job boards. Recently it showed a CASA-212 job with Evergreen that I had applied to 6-9 months prior, but Evergreen hadn't received the contract so I didn't get the job. So I call the CP, and he said that no, the position wasn't re-opened and didn't know why it was being reposted on job websites. So it happens.

uspilot.com seems to be quite bad with this. I don't know how the site works as far as posting up availible jobs, but many of them are from company HR sites that have not been updated in months.

Yeah, it seems you get what you pay for. US Pilots jobboard just posted a Caravan position for West. Checked West's employment website and the bottom line was?

icon6.gif

<TABLE id=table2 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" height=300 cellPadding=0 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Company Benefits
• Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision plans
• Disability and Life Insurance
• Sick Leave / Paid Vacations No positions available at this time

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It's like dating sites that post fake personals to get you hooked ... "wow, hot and she likes to drink beer and watch football!". Yeah right.

It's done to keep subscriptions up and running.
Someone needs to amake the money from it, and that requires someone else to spend it... ;)

Just my 2 cents here but when I got out of the Corps a few months ago, the Sep's guys told us to never pay to get access to any job site. I am still in training so don't really look but it seems like good advice.

It happens in all industries. While I do not peruse the Aviation job boards recruiting companies in I.T. will proactively solicit for resumes and then underhandedly solicit you to companies without your permission.

When in doubt verify via an email that it is an open submission and not a proactive solicitation. If anything it saves you the hope from applying for your dream position only to find out 3 months later there was never even an opening.

Back