JFK bomb threat proves to be hoax, but leaves one pilot steamed

I keep wondering where the dispatcher was on this.

But then, the last time I had to look to dispatch for some guidance when I let the captain get into my fuel 'comfort zone' because I was indifferent and angry (ahh, bankruptcy days!), I was told "Hey, I'm handling 15 flights, do what you want" ha!

As a controller we are rarely given guidance on what we can or cannot say in situations over an easily intercepted frequency, not only is it streamed over the internet anyone with a scanner can hear what we are saying. I don't want to be the controller that says "hey you may have a bomb on board" and the passengers behind you get a text 2 seconds later from the aviation nut whos family was on the plane. Panic ensues, injuries occur, when if we don't say anything, let the authorities board the plane and search it, you are on your way. I understand the whole captain authority, but when you are surrounded by a task force of homeland security, fbi, port authority and nypd, your authority has just turned into nothing, let them do there job, sit back and hope for the best.

I understand the whole captain authority, but when you are surrounded by a task force of homeland security, fbi, port authority and nypd, your authority has just turned into nothing, let them do there job, sit back and hope for the best.

Respectfully disagree. There is more than one way to get a message into the cockpit, and simply keeping the person in charge of all those people in the dark is a mistake.

While you say their authority has turned into nothing, I can almost guarantee that if the Captain did give the order to evacuate (Not that I think he really would have), you would see slides popping open from that plane, and there's nothing the guys on the ground are going to be able to do about it.

Seems like the tower could say, "Look. We get it, but we really, really, REALLY need you to call in, on the phone, right now." As CA and PIC, wouldn't the guy realize something was out of whack and make the call?
----------------------------

Cell phone reception at JFK?

Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

Not with AT&T.

:)

If I remember reading correctly, the news was reporting that the "terrorists" were hiding in the wheel wells.

+ 1 for the Captain. It's his ship, and he needs to know.

, but I still would have to support the Capt. decision of having ATC inform of the situation.

The Captain was an ass.

Do you really think ATC makes any decisions in bomb threat or that they are given any information? ATC's job is to separate aircraft, not law enforcement.

Kind of like yelling at the wife over dinner because McDonald's got your lunch order wrong. ATC doesn't know anything more than the Captain.

The Captain was an ass.

Do you really think ATC makes any decisions in bomb threat or that they are given any information? ATC's job is to separate aircraft, not law enforcement.

Kind of like yelling at the wife over dinner because McDonald's got your lunch order wrong. ATC doesn't know anything more than the Captain.

So if ATC has no information, why state the PIC is an ass? The PIC stated if you don't supply me with information, I am making a decision. Whether or not ATC can supply that information is a mute point.

The PPIC is making decisions based on the information he has, like I every other flying scenario.

So tellme, how is the PIC an ass?

The Captain was an ass.

Roger that.

So if ATC has no information, why state the PIC is an ass? The PIC stated if you don't supply me with information, I am making a decision. Whether or not ATC can supply that information is a mute point.

Why would ATC have any information?

If he want's to pop the slides that's his call, not ATC's. Why would he even threaten that to ATC? Shows the pilot has a really poor understanding for both ATC and Law Enforcement.

Why would ATC have any information?

If he want's to pop the slides that's his call, not ATC's. Why would he even threaten that to ATC? Shows the pilot has a really poor understanding for both ATC and Law Enforcement.

ATC probably did know at least something about what was going on, though, because they were coordinating the Law Enforcement vehicles and where to instruct the aircraft to park.

I think it was definitely a communications breakdown between all parties.

ATC probably did know at least something about what was going on, though, because they were coordinating the Law Enforcement vehicles and where to instruct the aircraft to park.

I think it was definitely a communications breakdown between all parties.
I assure you ATC was not coordinating law enforcement. They pretty much take care of themselves .

Most airports have a predetermined parking area for hazards aircraft, ATC's duty ended after taxing the aircraft to it.

Well, a lot of us presume if it's over VHF, ATC knows everything and has omniscience.

Ooh, lookit that pretty "I done been to college" word.

Impressive. :) Omniscience... Look it up, Riddle and "I only have a HS diploma" boys!

As a controller we are rarely given guidance on what we can or cannot say in situations over an easily intercepted frequency, not only is it streamed over the internet anyone with a scanner can hear what we are saying. I don't want to be the controller that says "hey you may have a bomb on board" and the passengers behind you get a text 2 seconds later from the aviation nut whos family was on the plane. Panic ensues, injuries occur, when if we don't say anything, let the authorities board the plane and search it, you are on your way. I understand the whole captain authority, but when you are surrounded by a task force of homeland security, fbi, port authority and nypd, your authority has just turned into nothing, let them do there job, sit back and hope for the best.

Um, yeah.....I'm gonna go with WRONG ANSWER. I certainly respect the job most of those agencies you listed perform. However, let's make one thing perfectly clear, CA's authority is real and there will be no 'sitting back and hoping' for some outcome. You had better keep the crew in the loop on what's going on.

Back