JetBlue violates privacy policy

I could care less what you call it. I call it the War of Northern Agression. You can call it Bob if you want to.

Was it something prohibited by the constitution? The argument made by the secessionists of the day was that the states were sovereign to the federal government. That the federal government derived its authority from the people that were governed and that authority could be removed whenever the government overstepped its bounds. Very similar to what the writers of the Declaration of Independence wrote.

I was not aware that the south was attempting to destroy the federal government. Do you mean the federal government perceived its own destruction? Who invaded whom? And I don't call it a civil war because it did involve two separate nations. The war was not a simple uprising that had to be put down. A section of our country declared independence from the rest of it. Formed a new government, attacked and forced the troops the surrender of Ft Sumter, and then was invaded and beaten. It was a foreign country. The United States and the Confederate States. Two separate countries. Had the revolutionary war failed would we have claimed that the Declaration of Independence never existed??? I would hope not but if the "civil war" experience is any indicator, we would probably live in a country where 85% of the population thinks King George was a hero and Sam Adam's and Jefferson were traitors.

You list slavery as one indirect reason for the war and you are right but there were also many other reasons for secession.

I agree we need a federal government. I am not opposed to a strong one so long as it sticks to what it is supposed to. I have mixed feelings about privatization of the park system. I am certainly in favor of selling (at bargain basement prices) the parks to the states in which they reside. I don't think there is any reason why we need a federal park system. It isn't something that requires management across state lines (although I guess some of the parks do cross state lines and would have to be coordinated between the states) please don't read that to think I am opposed to parks. I love a good park. South Carolina and Charleston in particular have some of the best parks I have ever seen and I wouldn't want to go without them.

I took the wheels off my trailer to use as collateral for that fancy new tatoo I got. Only 3 more payments to go! God bless Jeff Foxworthy, Dale Earnheart??? and viva la confederacy!

[ QUOTE ]
Was it something prohibited by the constitution? The argument made by the secessionists of the day was that the states were sovereign to the federal government. That the federal government derived its authority from the people that were governed and that authority could be removed whenever the government overstepped its bounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't expressley prohibited nor was it expressely allowed - that argument swings both ways.
smile.gif

The Federal government does derive it's authority from the people. At the time the majority of the people opposed southern seccecesion (the population ofthe northern states) and without a majority vote the states broke the rules of the consitution by leavingthe union. it was not as simple as "we decided to play but now we don't."

[ QUOTE ]
Very similar to what the writers of the Declaration of Independence wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh. But the decleration of independence was the only means the colonies had of determining their own destiny. The governmental system of Britain did not recognize the Colonies as anything more than a source of natural resources. However, the Southern states could have worked within the system as it stood (they helpedto create it) and made changes or opposed changes that affected their states. Instead they decided to go to war.

[ QUOTE ]
I was not aware that the south was attempting to destroy the federal government. Do you mean the federal government perceived its own destruction?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not imply the South had a defined goal of destroying the U.S. But the mere fact they seceeded placed the union in great jeapordy. The Union was in a precarious state. We were a new country, vunerable to the world. A civil war would threaten to topple the country. It was not a goal of the Southern states to destroy the U.S. governement but a country diveded is a weak country and a weak country dived is a country ready for invasion by outside forces.

[ QUOTE ]
Who invaded whom? And I don't call it a civil war because it did involve two separate nations. The war was not a simple uprising that had to be put down. A section of our country declared independence from the rest of it. Formed a new government, attacked and forced the troops the surrender of Ft Sumter, and then was invaded and beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again the name War of Northern Aggression is inaccurate. The south broke the laws ofthe land, fired the first shot then got its collective @$$ handed to it and now they whine and complain about the "War of Northern Aggression." The Aggressor is defined as the person or party who initiates conflict or comabt.

[ QUOTE ]
It was a foreign country. The United States and the Confederate States. Two separate countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it was a group of rebel states who secceeded without 2/3 majority vote and was shocked when the North didn't stand for it. Not two seperate nations.

[ QUOTE ]
Had the revolutionary war failed would we have claimed that the Declaration of Independence never existed???

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. The victors write the history. Do you really thikn the decleartion of independence would be touted very highly in a British run school room?

[ QUOTE ]
I would hope not but if the "civil war" experience is any indicator, we would probably live in a country where 85% of the population thinks King George was a hero and Sam Adam's and Jefferson were traitors.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly the way it would be had we lost the revolutionary war - because it would have been "true." The only difference between a traitor and a revolutionary is whether or not he or she wins whatever it is they are fighting for.

This is largely semantics, I know. The end result - whoich I think we both agree on - is too much of anything is bad. Too much fedreal governemnt is just as bad as too much state governement.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The end result - whoich I think we both agree on - is too much of anything is bad. Too much fedreal governemnt is just as bad as too much state governement.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, we do agree. I just think the war is one of the most fascinating periods in all of US history.

Same here. It really sheds light on the whole "the victors write history" thing. We did the same thing to GB and the leaders of that war are heros yet the southern leaders are viewed as rebels and outlaws (maybe not that strong) but you get my point.

I second the "Can someone say Squawk Box" comment.

Not a single post after Iain's is ANYTHING related to aviation mentioned......

ok They had balloons in the civil war. I think they helped the darned ole yankees...

Do you need a degree to fly one of those balloons?

better?

Just kidding. I apologize for taking off on this thread

Back