JetBlue is looking for dispatchers!

PlaneFan82

Hey all,
Just got word that JetBlue is looking for Dispatchers. The position is in NYC and starting pay is in the low 50s. If you don't mind dealing with flights in and out of JFK/LGA/EWR, this a great opportunity.

Do you have to go to school to become a dispatcher? Whats involved?

Yes, I am at IFOD right now. I am one of the better students. I teach others in the class. I am the go-to guy to help people. My high scores on my daily quizzes and my short time in taking the tests has motivated others to work harder since they want to beat my score lol.

IFOD is very fun. If you are 23 and want to get into dispatching, it is awesome. The people in the class come from all over the world. The instructors are very good. There are many airline employees in the class.

To be a dispatcher you need 200 hours in a classroom and to take the written and practical exams as well as age 23. Dispatchers learn the same material as pilots do for the Airline Transport Pilot exam. There are a few small differences but there are more similarities than differences.

If you go to dispatch school and know how to read METARs, TAFs, approach plates and performance charts, it will be very easy.

I applied for the JetBlue job. JetBlue is one of the places I think is a good career job simply because I love JetBlue. It is my favorite airline along with Southwest. The worst that can happen is they say no. If you dont apply, you dont have any chance. If you apply, you may just get lucky. Its better to be told no than to wonder what if I did apply.

IRT IFOD, I highly recommend it. Mark and Ron are great teachers. If you like aviation, IFOD is a great place. It is hard work and requires a lot of time to do some problems. IFOD is designed with the inexperienced person to aviation in mind. If you come with ratings in hand, it may seem dumbed down but you build a good reputation when you help those that are not as experienced. Even if you come to IFOD with a CFI or ATP rating or any other pilot rating, it is a good place to get your FAA required 200 hours in a classroom and learn the stuff better by helping others learn the stuff. It is one thing to learn it on your own, it is another to try to explain weight and balance, weather, FMS systems, performance charts, and approach plates to those that have never seen them before in their life. It makes me believe that CFI work is the best way to get to professional pilot. In aviation, you are forced to raise your game when you need to explain it to others.

Dispatch is a very small community.

Yes, I am at IFOD right now. I am one of the better students. I teach others in the class. I am the go-to guy to help people. My high scores on my daily quizzes and my short time in taking the tests has motivated others to work harder since they want to beat my score lol.

IFOD is very fun. If you are 23 and want to get into dispatching, it is awesome. The people in the class come from all over the world. The instructors are very good. There are many airline employees in the class.

To be a dispatcher you need 200 hours in a classroom and to take the written and practical exams as well as age 23. Dispatchers learn the same material as pilots do for the Airline Transport Pilot exam. There are a few small differences but there are more similarities than differences.

If you go to dispatch school and know how to read METARs, TAFs, approach plates and performance charts, it will be very easy.

I applied for the JetBlue job. JetBlue is one of the places I think is a good career job simply because I love JetBlue. It is my favorite airline along with Southwest. The worst that can happen is they say no. If you dont apply, you dont have any chance. If you apply, you may just get lucky. Its better to be told no than to wonder what if I did apply.

IRT IFOD, I highly recommend it. Mark and Ron are great teachers. If you like aviation, IFOD is a great place. It is hard work and requires a lot of time to do some problems. IFOD is designed with the inexperienced person to aviation in mind. If you come with ratings in hand, it may seem dumbed down but you build a good reputation when you help those that are not as experienced. Even if you come to IFOD with a CFI or ATP rating or any other pilot rating, it is a good place to get your FAA required 200 hours in a classroom and learn the stuff better by helping others learn the stuff. It is one thing to learn it on your own, it is another to try to explain weight and balance, weather, FMS systems, performance charts, and approach plates to those that have never seen them before in their life. It makes me believe that CFI work is the best way to get to professional pilot. In aviation, you are forced to raise your game when you need to explain it to others.

Dispatch is a very small community.

:yeahthat:

I applied for the JetBlue job.

And you wont get it because you have no real 121 experience. And, even when you get your temp certificate, you still wont really know squat until you have been on a desk for a year or so.

There are so many nuances involved in 121 dispatching that the only way to do it well is to do it. The crappiest regionals make for some great instruction on how to really dispatch. Flight planning, while an important skill - the actual figuring of how much gas do I need - is a minor part in a 121 flight dispatch release. To come up with a safe, effective, minimum cost release comes that is legal and efficient, can come only with experience.

When I got my ticket in 2000, and shortly after I got my first dispatch job, did I realize there was a lot of nuances in 121 that I just didnt know - and not knocking my school - when I was handed my tempo ticket after my CC my examiner said "here is your license to learn."

Man, was he so right....

And you wont get it because you have no real 121 experience. And, even when you get your temp certificate, you still wont really know squat until you have been on a desk for a year or so.

There are so many nuances involved in 121 dispatching that the only way to do it well is to do it. The crappiest regionals make for some great instruction on how to really dispatch. Flight planning, while an important skill - the actual figuring of how much gas do I need - is a minor part in a 121 flight dispatch release. To come up with a safe, effective, minimum cost release comes that is legal and efficient, can come only with experience.

When I got my ticket in 2000, and shortly after I got my first dispatch job, did I realize there was a lot of nuances in 121 that I just didnt know - and not knocking my school - when I was handed my tempo ticket after my CC my examiner said "here is your license to learn."

Man, was he so right....

I dont understand what I have to lose by applying. So what if they say no. The benefits are much greater if I try then if I dont try. I apply to the regionals and 135 cargo places so I dont understand why its such a bad thing to at least give it a shot.

JetBlue starting wages arent much better than regional wages when you take NYC into account. Low 50s in NYC is very low.

Dispatching is stressful, but if it was difficult and required any kind of experience to do then Mesaba wouldnt pay 12.38/hr and JetBlue would pay more than low 50s in NYC and the standards for getting the license wouldnt be so low. Lows 50s is entry level pay or worse for NYC, garbage men make more than that to start in NYC. While experience is important, experience only matters due to supply and demand. If experience truly mattered, dispatchers would be compensated for experience. JetBlue might want experience to get a bargain for their buck but it doesnt value experience highly if they truly do start at the low 50s. If it did, JetBlue would pay more than low 50s. You cant support a family in NYC on the low 50s. Even young single people like myself would struggle on that. So lets be real, if the supply and demand worked in my favor I would have a chance. There is nothing special about getting your experience elsewhere before getting hired on. It is just a way to put a check mark under the experience column.

But on a better note,

I taught my ADX class what an FMS and glass cockpit were and what the basic instruments are. I taught a girl those same instruments just hours before she took her practical. I taught the class METARS from the first day I was there. I stay after class to help others and people in the class get motivated by me because they want to get high scores on the daily tests. I feel bad sometimes because others put in so much time and I feel weird doing so well with so little work. I feel almost as if this stuff should be harder than it is. I study for an hour or two every night, finish my 80 question quiz in 15-25 minutes, and have scores in the 90s somewhere every time. It takes me all of 2-2.5 hours to read the whole ATP prep book.

I think my biggest struggle right now is keeping myself from getting complacent. The class has given me great confidence since everyone asks me for help. When you understand things so easily and have set a high standard, you tend to get complacent and tend to think you can do anything. Until I am a 30-40 year dispatcher, I need to keep eating my humble pie.

I dont understand what I have to lose by applying. So what if they say no. The benefits are much greater if I try then if I dont try. I apply to the regionals and 135 cargo places so I dont understand why its such a bad thing to at least give it a shot.

JetBlue starting wages arent much better than regional wages when you take NYC into account. Low 50s in NYC is very low.

Dispatching is stressful, but if it was difficult and required any kind of experience to do then Mesaba wouldnt pay 12.38/hr and JetBlue would pay more than low 50s in NYC and the standards for getting the license wouldnt be so low. Lows 50s is entry level pay or worse for NYC, garbage men make more than that to start in NYC. While experience is important, experience only matters due to supply and demand. If experience truly mattered, dispatchers would be compensated for experience. JetBlue might want experience to get a bargain for their buck but it doesnt value experience highly if they truly do start at the low 50s. If it did, JetBlue would pay more than low 50s. You cant support a family in NYC on the low 50s. Even young single people like myself would struggle on that. So lets be real, if the supply and demand worked in my favor I would have a chance. There is nothing special about getting your experience elsewhere before getting hired on. It is just a way to put a check mark under the experience column.

But on a better note,

I taught my ADX class what an FMS and glass cockpit were and what the basic instruments are. I taught a girl those same instruments just hours before she took her practical. I taught the class METARS from the first day I was there. I stay after class to help others and people in the class get motivated by me because they want to get high scores on the daily tests. I feel bad sometimes because others put in so much time and I feel weird doing so well with so little work. I feel almost as if this stuff should be harder than it is. I study for an hour or two every night, finish my 80 question quiz in 15-25 minutes, and have scores in the 90s somewhere every time. It takes me all of 2-2.5 hours to read the whole ATP prep book.

I think my biggest struggle right now is keeping myself from getting complacent. The class has given me great confidence since everyone asks me for help. When you understand things so easily and have set a high standard, you tend to get complacent and tend to think you can do anything. Until I am a 30-40 year dispatcher, I need to keep eating my humble pie.

I'm glad that you can read METARS and TAFS but to be honest, your previous post comes across as a little bit ignorant. This is a profession where you never stop learning. Learning is a change in behavior as a result of experience.

Good luck in your job search. There are a lot of people on JC who will do their best to help you if you're willing to listen.

But on a better note,

It never hurts to apply; in fact, I would say there are too many people who stay at regionals longer than they need to because they DON'T apply, but it also helps to be realistic. Also, if you do get selected for an interview, you should project yourself as being confident, but don't go on about how awesome you did in dispatch school either. I've seen some candidates with good experience not get a job offer because of how they presented themselves in their job interview.

Definitely, if you don't get on with JBLU this time around, and you get hired somewhere else, keep checking and reapply again.

I don't see a problem with you applying either. I probably would have also a couple of years back when I was job hunting with my shiny new license just for the heck of it. Just remember that this is a profession where being professional is the name of the game. Arrogance and coming across as if you know it all will defidently hurt your chances in this small community...not acusing you, just keeping it general. Keep your nose clean and continue to challenge yourself. You'll find once you get hired at your first gig that dispatch school only scratched the surface. Good luck.

Thank you, I can't wait to start. Definitely going to be a long learning process, but a very exciting one at the same time.

Back