JetBlue - 2nd quarter back in the black.

khysanth

Profitable Second Quarter - RTP is On Track Dear Crewmembers, Today we announced a Second Quarter operating margin of 7.7 percent – demonstrating to our stockholders that our Return to Profitability plan is on track. Everyone in the company has contributed greatly to this quarter’s results. In particular, we want to highlight the following teams for executing immediately on their RTP goals: The Fuel Team One of the Fuel Team’s challenges was to achieve a fuel burn rate for A320 aircraft of 803 gallons per block hour, and 593 gallons per block hour for E190 aircraft. Thanks to the multiple strategies employed throughout the company, we exceeded both goals in the month of June by about 20 gallons per block hour for each fleet type. This efficiency and other actions we’ve taken as part of RTP has already saved us $3.2 million in fuel cost, and we are on track to save our targeted $10 million in fuel cost savings for the year! Everyone has a role to play in our Fuel Challenge – Airports are hooking up GPUs faster, saving unnecessary fuel burn by the APU; Inflight has taken 100 pounds off the aircraft by re-provisioning the galley carts; TechOps continually improves the technical dispatch reliability of our aircraft, keeping us ready to operate efficiently; and JetBlue’s pilots are taxiing with one engine. It’s worth noting as well that since we have announced and implemented our RTP plan, fuel continues to rise. (Visit www.airlines.org for more information on fuel cost.) Our RTP efforts are tied directly to the cost of jet fuel. For every 10 cents rise in the cost of fuel, we assume another $40 million (on an annual basis) of unplanned expense to our bottom line. RTP is more than a plan – it’s our new way of life. Additional Revenue As you noticed in the most recent monthly traffic reports, we are steadily lowering our load factor while improving our revenue. We are achieving this by selling a different mix of fares – fewer lowest fares and a few more mid-range fares. Because we’re known as a low fare airline, we are careful to offer a range of affordable fares, but we can no longer afford to absorb the increased fuel cost. In addition to our strategic Revenue Management approach, we are also looking carefully at our Network Planning. All of the new BlueCities we’ve opened this year are closer to our hometown of New York, but that’s not the only thing they have in common. These new destinations are also business markets, where other airlines could charge sometimes more than twice what we charge on a last-minute, walk-up fare. We will continue to see RTP benefits from other areas, including Crewmember Costs, Supply Chain and Corporate Initiatives, where we are focusing on reducing the number of BlackBerry and cell phone users, as well as a more disciplined approach to the corporate American Express card. These initiatives may have smaller dollar savings associated with them, but they will help us develop "low-cost airline" spending habits that will help us return to annual profitability for 2007. The press release on our Second Quarter Results is below, and you can also view it online here. You can listen to the web cast or replay here, and we encourage you to do so. And finally – we want to thank everyone for bringing their energy and passion to our RTP plan, while keeping our Brand and Culture first and foremost. More than 100 questions and suggestions have been submitted to our RTP website, and those ideas have generated a lot of activity throughout the company. RTP is our strategy for returning to annual profitability, and our first quarterly result under RTP is a step in the right direction. Keep sending your ideas in, and we will continue posting updates on the RTP site! Sincerely, Corporate Communications
And the official press-release:
JETBLUE ANNOUNCES 7.7 PERCENT OPERATING MARGIN FOR SECOND QUARTER 2006 Low-Fare Airline’s Return to Profitability Plan “On Track” New York, NY (July 25, 2006) -- JetBlue Airways Corporation (NASDAQ: JBLU) today reported its results for the second quarter 2006: • Operating revenues for the quarter totaled $612 million, representing growth of 42.4% over operating revenues of $429 million in the second quarter of 2005. • Operating income in the quarter was $47 million, resulting in a 7.7% operating margin, compared to operating income of $40 million and a 9.4% operating margin in the second quarter of 2005. • Net income for the quarter was $14 million, representing earnings of $0.08 per diluted share, compared with second quarter 2005 net income of $13 million, or $0.08 per diluted share. “We are pleased that our Return to Profitability plan is on track. Our comprehensive and ongoing plan has become the new way of doing business at JetBlue, and the revenue improvements and cost savings we saw in the second quarter are a definite step in the right direction,” said David Neeleman, JetBlue’s Chairman and CEO. “Every JetBlue crewmember contributed to our second quarter results and I truly appreciate their efforts to identify areas of opportunities while continuing to deliver the JetBlue experience to our customers. We have much more to do, and I know JetBlue’s crewmembers are as dedicated as ever to returning JetBlue to profitability for the long term.” During the second quarter of 2006, JetBlue achieved a completion factor of 99.8% of scheduled flights versus 99.7% in the second quarter of 2005. On-time performance, defined by the US Department of Transportation as arrivals within 14 minutes of schedule, was 77.9% in the second quarter of 2006 compared to 76.0% for the same period in 2005. The company attained a load factor in the second quarter of 2006 of 82.2%, a decrease of 5.5 points on a capacity increase of 23.2% over the second quarter of 2005. “JetBlue crewmembers continue to be recognized for their best-in-class service,” said President and COO, Dave Barger. “We were honored to receive the highest rankings for customer satisfaction among low cost airlines in the J.D. Power and Associates Airline Customer Satisfaction Survey, as well as the 2006 World’s Best Domestic Airline by readers of Travel + Leisure magazine. I am especially appreciative that JetBlue crewmembers have remained focused on our core mission of bringing humanity back to air travel in the midst of changes related to our Return to Profitability plan.” For the second quarter, yield per passenger mile was 9.77 cents, up 21.7% compared to 2005. Operating revenue per available seat mile (RASM) increased 15.6% year-over-year to 8.48 cents. Revenue passenger miles increased 15.6% from the second quarter of 2005 to 5.9 billion. Available seat miles grew 23.2% to 7.2 billion. Operating expenses for the second quarter were $565 million, up 45.2% from the second quarter of 2005. Operating expense per ASM (CASM) for the second quarter 2006 increased 17.8% year-over-year to 7.83 cents, while average stage length decreased 8.4%. On a fuel-neutral to prior year period basis, CASM increased 9.3% to 7.26 cents. During the quarter, realized fuel price was $2.06 per gallon, a 37.8% increase over second quarter 2005 realized fuel price of $1.50. JetBlue ended the second quarter with $468 million in cash and investment securities. Looking ahead, for the third quarter of 2006, JetBlue expects to report an operating margin between four and six percent assuming an all-in aircraft fuel cost per gallon of $2.20. Pre-tax margin for the quarter is expected to be between negative one and positive one percent. For the third quarter, cost per available seat mile (CASM) is expected to increase between 17% and 19% over the year-ago period, at the assumed $2.20 aircraft fuel cost per gallon. Excluding fuel, CASM in the third quarter is expected to increase between eight and ten percent year over year. Capacity is expected to increase between 19 and 21 percent in the third quarter over the same period last year. For the full year 2006, JetBlue expects to report an operating margin between two and four percent based on an assumed aircraft fuel cost per gallon of $2.09, net of hedges. Pre-tax margin for the full year is expected to be between negative one and positive one percent. CASM for the full year is expected to increase between 14 and 16 percent over full year 2005, at the assumed $2.09 aircraft fuel cost per gallon. Excluding fuel, CASM in 2006 is expected to increase between seven and nine percent year over year. Capacity for the full year 2006 is expected to increase between 20 and 22 percent over 2005. JetBlue will conduct a conference call to discuss its quarterly earnings today, July 25, at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time. A live broadcast of the conference call will be available via the World Wide Web at http://investor.jetblue.com.
Any thoughts?

I would probably take down the internal company letter, since JetBlue might get a bit peeved with internal information provided to employees being posted freely on the internet. Just leave the Press Release.

Good news for JetBlue though!

FlyChicaga said:
I would probably take down the internal company letter, since JetBlue might get a bit peeved with internal information provided to employees being posted freely on the internet. Just leave the Press Release.

Good news for JetBlue though!

OMG...Chicaga posting two days ina row. Hell hath trully frozen over...hehehe.

;)

Maximillian_Jenius said:

;)

I know! Hell may have frozen over, but it sure hasn't hit Idaho!

Maximillian_Jenius said:

I know! I've been cutting back on the message boards quite a bit, and haven't been bringing my computer to work anymore. It has done wonders for my stress level getting off all these internet forums, but I still want to try and participate once in a while! It's kinda nice just lurking in the shadows.

FlyChicaga said:
I know! I've been cutting back on the message boards quite a bit, and haven't been bringing my computer to work anymore. It has done wonders for my stress level getting off all these internet forums, but I still want to try and participate once in a while! It's kinda nice just lurking in the shadows.

I know,I know. Just remember to check in with us like your doing.

:)

Looks like Wall Street doesn't agree

NEW YORK, July 25 (Reuters) - Discount airline JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday reported nearly flat earnings per share that beat Wall Street expectations, but a disappointing outlook sent its shares tumbling 6 percent. The New York-based airline said net profit for the second quarter was $14 million, or 8 cents a share, compared with $13 million, or 8 cents a share, in the same period last year. The figures were well ahead of Wall Street expectations of 4 cents a share, according to Reuters Estimates.

But JetBlue said it only expected to break even for the third quarter and the full year, forecasting pretax profit margins of between a negative 1 and positive 1 percent.
The outlook, which is weaker than earlier comments, indicated the company is still struggling with costs aside from fuel. "JetBlue's 'core' -- nonfuel -- guidance has been diminished," said J.P. Morgan analyst Jamie Baker in a note. "Fuel cannot be blamed and its valuation continues to stretch well beyond reasonable airline levels."

Back