JetBLEW it

The question that was asked whether or not there is a right to privacy. The answer is that the courts -- ranging from very liberal ones to very conservative ones -- have established that there is one.

As for whether or not JetBlue violated the law, I don't believe they did. However, they did violate their own privacy policy, and they did open themselves up for one hell of a lawsuit because one passenger's information was out on the web for months.

Regardless of whether or not a law was broken -- after all, when Clinton got his little non-sexual favor, he didn't break the law but it was sleazy as hell anyway -- it was wrong. There are a lot of things that are legal but morally wrong, and what JetBlue did falls into that category.

[ QUOTE ]
I don;t see how jetBlue could release a SSN. Who gives out their SSN for a PLANE TICKET???

If you do that you deserve to have your information on the internet!

I want to see some proof that Social Security #'s were given out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I downloaded the document WITH peoples SSN's on it and saw for myself what was on it.. I assume once they got the customers credit card number and name etc, they were able to pull the persons credit report which would have their SSN and DOB on it. Its not that hard.

Them handing the information over to the feds wasnt a violation of the law as the courts have held that when consent is given not by the passenger but by a third party ie Jetblue that a third party consent was deemed sufficient if that party ''possessed common authority over the effects sought to be inspected.

However this doesnt mean they can not be liable if this information is published on the internet when there was a resonable expectation of privacy when they purchased there tickets from Jetblue.

Ryan

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I downloaded the document WITH peoples SSN's on it and saw for myself what was on it.. I assume once they got the customers credit card number and name etc, they were able to pull the persons credit report which would have their SSN and DOB on it. Its not that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to pull credit reports when working as a mortgage broker and insurance agent. I don't know of a way to get a credit report with only a name and account number unless you can access the information on the account to get additional information.

Of course, if you have an account number, you probably have an address as well. If the address is an established one, you can get a credit report with nothing more than name and address.

I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to pull a credit report without the consumer's consent. I don't know of any reason that JetBlue would need to get credit reports on their customers, so I assume this was done by someone else.

You can not get the SS# by just having the name and credit card info or the credit card companies would also have been mentioned at this point. You also need authorization to pull credit - as it does show on the credit report.

I have heard you can get an abbreviated report (just score) without this but I have only heard that floating in the wind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I downloaded the document WITH peoples SSN's on it and saw for myself what was on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so full of BS. Too much recreational use Sierra.....
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You can not get the SS# by just having the name and credit card info or the credit card companies would also have been mentioned at this point. You also need authorization to pull credit - as it does show on the credit report.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you havent looked at your credit report in a long time.. and yes they can pull your credit report without your authorization.. its happens all the time.. usually by companies wanting to offer you credit cards and your information is usually sold to these companies by your credit card company.

Read your Credit Card Agreement and you will see that they share information about you with third parties unless you specifically ask them not to, who in turn pull your credit report to see if you qualify for one of their programs.

The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is designed to promote accuracy, fairness, and privacy of information in the files of every "consumer reporting agency" (CRA). Most CRAs are credit bureaus that gather and sell information about you—such as if you pay your bills on time or have filed bankruptcy—to creditors, employers, landlords, and other businesses. A CRA may provide information about you only to people with a need recognized by the FCRA—usually to consider an application with a creditor, insurer, employer, landlord, or other business.

Ryan

[ QUOTE ]

You are so full of BS. Too much recreational use Sierra.....
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah whatever... dude do your research before you start accusing people. this whole lawsuit is over the fact that peoples names, address, SSN, DOB etc was published ON the internet which people like myself had access to.. and after hunting around it wasnt that hard to find.. which is the basis for the lawsuits.. so get a clue..

Here I'll help you out a bit since you obviously talk crap before you do your homework.. Torch Concepts took the JetBlue passenger data and obtained as much personal information on individual passengers as was possible, including credit histories, SSNs, income, home ownership, driving record, and other details. This information was then used in an attempt to determine whether or not security risks could be ascertained.

Torch Concepts CEO Bill Roark presented the findings of their work on the 25th of February, 2003 at a conference organized by the Tennessee Valley chapter of the National Defense Industries Association, the results of which were presented at a security conference earlier this year and then posted on the Internet.

Anyone who flew JetBlue on or before September of 2002 should assume that all information given by them to JetBlue, including credit card numbers, is in the possession of both the TSA and Torch Concepts. Furthermore, Torch Concepts (now doing business as Torch Technologies obtained the Social Security number, date of birth, and associated credit histories of many of the 5 million passengers in the JetBlue database. Some of this information, including SSNs, was posted by Torch Concepts to the Internet. The document was freely available for download on the Internet for over six months and was taken down on the 17th of September, 2003. The full document is available for download here.

Ryan

Back