Jet Blue Regional Carrier

Baronman

How do you guys see the JetBlue order of 100 Embraer 190s?
For those not aware, the 190 is a BIG regional jet. I think it's seating capacity is around 70-100 pax. Range is +2000nm.

Will JetBlue treat this as a regional airline? Or will they use "mainline" pilots meaning it will just be a diffent aircraft type under the JetBlue name and not a separate entity?
smirk.gif

To my knowledge it is a 100 pax. As far as what pilots will fly them I heard that thay will be contracting it out to regionals. All my buddies are skywest junkies and they think that they might get a shot at it I don't know if that is even remotely true. Maybe Chris can answer this one. I was skeptical about jetBlues desicion but to my knowledge the 190's our really cost effective.

ARGH!

"For those not aware, the 190 is a BIG regional jet."

NO! The EMB-190 is not a regional jet at all. It is no more a REGIONAL JET than the B-717 or A-319. PLEASE stop slinging the "Regional" tag at any airplane built by Embraer! I'm sorry, but this has been going on a great deal recently and is driving me a bit batty. The EMB-190 is a small airliner, like the other aircraft listed above. Jetblue will operate them alongside their A-320's.

From what I have heard, however, the pilot groups will be separated to avoid the expenses of cross-training. So, while they will all work for Jetblue, pilots will not be able to bid back and forth between aircraft at will. There will be seat-locks and other restrictions. Again, this is all according to internet scuttlebut.

I apologize for my rant, I'm just so tired of the "regional" label. How many 'regionals' fly from coast to coast, into Mexico and Canada? Comair, Skywest, Expressjet, to name a few. What 'region' is that exactly? The north american?! Southwest and AirTran are true regionals, if you ask me.

Here's a picture of the EMB-190:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~denver.rose/emb190.jpg

Re: ARGH!

You should call you're self blunt o not bluto. No I'm teasing man you have a point. If they are going to be operated by jetBlue why didn't they but A-319 because had they did their pilots lines would be more diverse and they could fly both or am I wrong. Does the A319 and 320 require 2 different ratings?

Blunto it is!
grin.gif
I'm sure many of my former students would agree with you. I believe you are correct on the single type-rating issue. I believe a short "differences" class would be all that's required to have their pilots cross-qualified. I would venture a guess, however, that JB execs took a long hard look at the economics of all aircraft on the market. For whatever reason, the Embraer was their choice. They could easily minimize the impact of training costs by restricting movement between the two aircraft types. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly pilot, not a genius like Neeleman.

The only people that refer to the Emb-190 as a regional jet is the media. It, by far, is not a regional jet.

Call it whatever you want....Call it a flying tomato for all I care...Is it going to be mainline or a separate company???

The flying tomatoes will be flown by JetBlue farmers.

[ QUOTE ]
You should call you're self blunt o not bluto. No I'm teasing man you have a point. If they are going to be operated by jetBlue why didn't they but A-319 because had they did their pilots lines would be more diverse and they could fly both or am I wrong. Does the A319 and 320 require 2 different ratings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, pure economics.

Embraer offered them a near "Times Square"-style deal on the Embraers.

Hmmm - the EMB-190 sure doesn't look like an RJ to me. Check it out (from the Embraer site):

07g.jpg

03g.jpg

and finally,

08g.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, pure economics.

Embraer offered them a near "Times Square"-style deal on the Embraers.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't quite understand those terms but I do know that Davey N. is a lot smarter than I am.

Got 'em super duper cheap.

Probably a free t-shirt or two and a weekend pass to Coaster Kingdom too.

Baronman-

JetBlue pilots will fly the 190s. There will be no regional subsidiary to farm out the flying to. Doug is correct about the media mislabeling the aircraft a "regional" jet. Everyone in the aviation community is so used to referring to anything coming from Embraer as an ERJ, but this airplane looks more like a mini-Airbus. I've seen the EMB-170 demonstrator at FLL, and it is a really sweet looking piece of machinery.
Hope the growth and prosperity continue at JB long into the future. Wouldn't mind working for the hometown carrier someday.

Hope all is well at FRG.

Man imagine trying to join the mile high club in those leather seats. You would never make it. You would STICK likes it's nobody's business

[ QUOTE ]
Man imagine trying to join the mile high club in those leather seats. You would never make it. You would STICK likes it's nobody's business

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the risk to join....you think that girl getting served the beverage in the photo above is included as standard equipment on the 190?
grin.gif

According to AvWeek, an A318 goes for $45 million and a EMB-195 goes for $31 million. So start saving now.

Back