Jet Blast

Boltonpilot

I've always wondered about this sort of thing...Just how hot is the exhaust that shoots from jet engines? Has anyone here had any problems concerning jet blast while they were on the ground near large aircraft?

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wondered about this sort of thing...Just how hot is the exhaust that shoots from jet engines? Has anyone here had any problems concerning jet blast while they were on the ground near large aircraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever see the test video of the truck being blown over by the airliners jet blast? Interesting to see.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever see the test video of the truck being blown over by the airliners jet blast? Interesting to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I find it online?

Did anyone see the movie "Pushing Tin," where the 2 guys stand by the runway and get blown around when the 747 lands? Could this actually happen?

[ QUOTE ]
Could this actually happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not...security would shoot them before they made it onto the threshold!
laugh.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

kinda off the subject... but when i went flying at Boeing Field out Flight Center (an FBO that caters to alot of biz jets) some the rich guys with their bmw 7's and mercedes would park their cars on the tarmac on the airplane side of the fence. guess it made them look more official than just using the regular parking lot like everyone else. anyways when one of the learjets or citations would turn around as it was leaving you would see little rocks and dirt and stuff just pepper the hell out of those shiny new cars. if just a little jet engine like that could do that imagine what a huge 757 one could do.

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wondered about this sort of thing...Just how hot is the exhaust that shoots from jet engines?

The exhaust gas temperature (EGT) varies from one aircraft to the other somewhat. On the MD-88 the EGT is measured by probes located in the exhaust gas path of each engine. The continuous EGT limit on a MD-88 is 580C for the MD-90 it's 610C. Idle EGT varies from about 300C-480C. Naturally, the temperature will rapidly cool the further away you get from the engine.

Trust me you dont want to be the victim of jet blast it .....aint pretty. Imagine a B777 just power up to taxi, remember one engine is rated at around 95000 lbs of thrust.

Working on the ramp, we kinda get experience in this all the time. Driving behind a 737 as it's powering up to taxi is a BAD thing. I saw one ramper at BWI drive behind one (at a 'safe' distance if that exists), and most of the bags on the cart he was pulling went flying, along with his hat.

As far as the temperature, from about 50-80 yards away it kinda feels like a hot breeze in Arizona, but maybe a little more windy. There's a certain other airline that likes to block our planes in right before we pushback. It's kinda gratifying to turn the engines toward their gate and blow over all the pretty cones they set up to keep us out of their area....

[ QUOTE ]
security would shoot them before they made it onto the threshold!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, they'd just make them go through a metal dector over, and over, and over, and over until they died of exhaustion/boredom.
grin.gif

The jet blast off 737-200's is some of the worst. All that air coming out of what looks like a tube. ASA/Comair's RJ's arent to bad if you are looking. There ramp guys in ATL walk with the wing and never tell you the engine is running..nothing like hot air on a hot day.

I realize that the airport service vehicle is a bit heavier but I noticed it never budged as it passed behind the engine. The way the pick-up was tossed, you'd think the other would move a little as well.... cool video though !

A few years ago the New York Knicks' team plane pulled up to the ramp by where the players parked and spooled up the engines a bit in order to make a tight turn and the blast picked up Jeff Van Gundy's (the coach) Honda and quickly deposited it on top of Allen Houston's Mercedes!

This is a two part response:

Jetblast can catch you off guard if you are not paying attention. I was in a C-172 taxing from parking to 36L at Tulsa Int. I stopped to hold short of an intersection as instructed when I noticed that my plane was shaking rather violently. I thougt I was going to tip over. I could tell that I was being pushed from the left and applied appropriate crosswind controls figuring I was receiving a hell of a wind gust. When that didn't solve the problem, I looked a bit over my shoulder and noticed a Citation Jet pulled in at an angle and was shutting down their engine; paying little attention to me in the process. It was an interesting few moments.

The second is in regards to a comment someone made about a scene from "Pushing Tin". That is actually a depiction of what wingtip vorticies are like comming off a large aircraft. Many people think that it is exagerate, but it really isn't. Those things can get to be pretty powerful and hang arond a long time after a large aircraft has landed. If you never have, seek out to find pictures of small aircraft that were caught in the wake of a larger aircraft on takeoff or landing and see what can happen. It's why wake avoidance is so important.

Back