Jeppesan Vs. Gov't plates

Re: Jeppesan Vs. Gov\'t plates

I am doing the 10 hr multi program in a few weeks, do I have to use NOS or can I bring my Jepp's?

I can't imagine why anyone would use NACO plates if they are planning on aviation as a career. The only organization that use them are the military...the enroutes aren't too bad, but the plates suck.

My .02

I guess they provide the same information at a better price with an easier way of keeping them current.

I can't see why not. We [instructors in the office] use Jepps when we sim anyway- it's the same information, etc.

It is a matter of ease back in Dallas. The FBO is right there, and we just pick up the NOS plates.

We have JeppView and all that rigmarole at JAX.

I used Jepp when I went through the program, but I had to pay for them myself. ATP will only cover the cost of NACO charts.

Working as an instructor now though I'm not so 'loyal' to Jepp any more. Both types provide the same information, Jepp's look better, but they cost waaaaay more too, so it depends on how much you're ready to pay for 'looks'.
smile.gif

Cheers,
Helge

Here's my .02. It's all a matter of preference. Which type of chart appeals to you where you can find the information you need quickly. Personally, I hate NOS charts and will pay more for the Jepps. And as Chunk indicated, EVERY corporate or airline company will pay for and give you Jepp Charts. As for ATP paying for NOS...it's just a way to keep costs down but I'll still pay for the Jepps.
grin.gif

SigAV8R

What is the price for the jepps?
Without the binder ofcourse

That's really the value to spending extra for the Jepps--I'm presuming you've got your sights set on an airline job next, correct? Go read the interview gouge on willflyforfood; the vast majority of regional interviews I've seen on there have included questions on Jepp charts. Saving a few bucks is worth just that--a few bucks. Knowing the Jepp charts inside out and backwards could be the difference between getting the job or not. What's that worth to you?

Express pack for FL is $23.00. That's low enroutes, plates, and the directory in front (great for studying). Sorry to say it, but you aren't saving *all* that much money and you are missing out on good experience using Jepps....they will be asked on any interview that you will ever take.

Plus, they are easier to use....Just look at the mins box. Or Takeoff mins box. Or alternate mins box. All on one piece of paper for Jepp, hafta go look it up in a totally seperate area for nos. Plus, the briefing strip makes briefing an appch easy.

Use what you want, but you'd be the only one arguing that NOS is better.

Chunk

Not 100% sure on this...but I think also the Jepps do the calculations for fpm decents/climbs (or some type of calculation) on the charts whereas NOS you have to flip pages and look for a table and get the values. Just another one of those convenience things Jepps provide which make NOS charts a PAIN. Plus the flipping pages left to right (jepps) is MUCH better and organization is much better than NOS (flip up) books.

For what it's worth: Texas packs are $28. They fill up a whole 2in binder.

SigAV8R

The NOS plates are being revised to look more like Jepps thankfully. They only update them to the better style when the plate changes though. For those not on the route to a regional, you at least have a better option than the older NOS plates.

So if I buy the jepps, I can use them during the ACP ?

Gil,

Yes you can.

SigAV8R

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Plus, they are easier to use....

[/ QUOTE ]

To a certain degree, yes.
In some instances I've found NACO charts to be more portable. I've found it easier to carry around 1-2 chart-packs from NACO than my Jepp-binders. Most of the time I just pick out the approaches I'm going to use from my Jepp-binder then take those with me, but when going on X-C trips you may suddenly be assigned DPs and STARs you didn't anticipate, and then it's easier to carry around the NACO stuff.

Once you get comfortable with them it really doesn't make much difference which one you use. I use Jepp for local training, NACO for certain X-C trips.

Cheers,
Helge

Back