Jepp Plates....or.....NACO Plates?

av8rmsu

I was just wondering what the majority of pilots use for approach plates, and the reasoning behind using them.

NACO..It's all about the bling, bling.
grin.gif
Money is better spent on flight time. every little penny counts.

Jepps are used by nearly every airline in the country, and most corporate operators of turbine aircraft. They are easier to read and, in my opinion, are far superior to the NACO charts. I use Jepps almost exclusively when I fly.

Of course, my company is paying!

I do keep a set of NACO charts at the house that I use for flight planning and reference ... they're expired, but I can always look at the updates online through AOPA. Of course, I never use the expired ones in flight.

Yeah, filing Jepp updates is time-consuming, but I don't mind doing it. Keeps you up to date on changes in the airspace by actually looking at the charts, instead of just throwing out and replacing whole books from NACO.

FL270

I used to keep an Eastern US Jepp subscription for myself. Now that I have someone else paying for charts (NACO), I'm getting used to using them.

I like the Jepps better. I think they are easier to read and understand. Better layout and easier type and graphics on the eyes.

Doing the Jepp updates were a pain, especially when I was doing my own on my own time (which there is never enough of), but FL270 has a point in that you were able to keep on eye on the changes coming through as they happened. I sure got a feel for all of the GPS approaches coming on-line when I had to file hundreds of new ones every year.
tongue.gif

I started with the NACO plates, but my new school uses the Jepp ones. During the transition, I had different charts for different areas and it got complicated. I guess it's important to be proficient with both, but chose one for consistency. As a student, I gotta say that it is strange using the Jepp plates in practice, while the NACO ones were on the written.

I use Jepps because they're easier to read than NACO...at least in my opinion. Both the NACO and Jepp low enroutes are easy to read, so I don't have a problem using NACO if I have to. The approach plates are where I differentiate. If I'm shooting an approach, DP, or whatever, the LAST thing I want to is have to search for something. Jepps use big bold numbers and letters that catch your attention in-flight. Every time I look at a NACO chart, I have to scan around for a heading or altitude...it's just not written very big, so it doesn't grab your attention.

Another thing I love about the Jepps is the briefing strip. If you read it verbatim, it gives you all of your very essential information, all in one place. Also, compare the profile views of both Jepps and NACO charts. NACO shows the step-downs as a straight line to the MAP, while Jepps show actual level-offs. That helps me visualize what I'm doing much better.

Another thing that I dislike about NACO is how you have to search through the front of the little booklet to find Obstacle DP information. Jepps have that information right there on the airport diagram.

I could go on and on about why I like Jepps more than NACO, but I don't want to turn this post into a novel. And even then, I'm just biased.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering what the majority of pilots use for approach plates, and the reasoning behind using them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless money is absolutely tight, I'll use the Jepp charts....they're just superior, in all aspects.

Like I've said before in another post, if you use the Jeppesen Express pack instead of the Standard Airway Manual, you don't have to worry about time-consuming revisions. Simply Toss the old charts out, place your new charts in the binder.....set it, and forget it!!
grin.gif

As far as the money goes, the Jepp charts (in the Express pack), aren't THAT much more expensive than the NACO charts, since you're getting the low enroutes AND the IAPs.

I use Jeppesen. I pretty much only fly in New England so I can just go with an express pack subscription. I will happily pay for a year Jeppesen subscription vs. using crappy NACO charts every day. When I do go on a longer XC or fly out of my normal area I will just buy a set of NACO charts to get me there.

Reason I like Jepp? Kind of obvious. Much easier to read and I much prefer the format (number 1 reason by far) and all critical info is on the chart or airport chart so no flicking to the front and back to find stuff. The only negative is cost. Do you think a single NACO fan would keep using NACO charts if they were both the same price? NOT!

Jepp and NACO are the same set of instructions, just with different handwriting. I use the NACO bound. I don't have to take pages out, just turn to the page fold the binding and I'm set. I'll even write on them, what the heck, they get replaced every couple months.

Back