JC's newest instrument rated pilot

jskibo

Done
Nailed it today. All those 30+ hours over the last week really paid off.

Smooth checkride.

Celebrated with 1.7 in the Mooney to get my complex endorsement, 10 hours complex as well as club insurance minimums.

Anyone looking for a great accelerated instructor PM me, I have a good one.

Thanks to all for the help and support.

Congrats, man. Now go out there, fly in some hard stuff, and get that confidence level up. It's amazing how well the system works...wind up back on the ground every time!

jskibo said:
Nailed it today. All those 30+ hours over the last week really paid off.

Smooth checkride.

Celebrated with 1.7 in the Mooney to get my complex endorsement, 10 hours complex as well as club insurance minimums.

Anyone looking for a great accelerated instructor PM me, I have a good one.

Thanks to all for the help and support.

Congratulations man!

Congrats! Remember to not only stay current, but proficient. Find some actual you are comfortable with and build your confidence in the clouds.

Awesome news John!! Congrats man. Next time I'm up in the area, we'll need to split some time eh?

Awesome news John!! Congrats man. Next time I'm up in the area, we'll need to split some time eh?
Absolutely. I'm loving the Mooney now. Going to make it my favorite plane at the club. I think we only have 5 other guys signed off on it as well.

Care for some 150kt retract time? Can't beat $95 an hour!

Hell to the yes. I'm thinking about joining a club here at DPA, they have a 1980 Arrow IV, complex/retract single for $125 ish an hour Tach.

Plan is Commercial by Jan and hopefully the CFI / CFII / MEI by April. Hopefully pick up some club students in the evening. GE seems to pay $2500 per year for the Hourly folks working on PPL. That keeps the flow of students up at the club. Our main instructor is sitting on 7 accerlerated PPL's right now with quite a few more on the fence. I would love to "help out" with that workload :) Hope they don't want the 152 though...I'm getting too fat for it.....:D

Man sounds like you hit a gold mine at that club!! I would love to have a place like that close to home with rates and CFIs like that!! Any fresh advice on tackling accelerated training? I'm about to jump neck deep into some serious (get it done) training so I can start the job search!! jskibo

Man sounds like you hit a gold mine at that club!! I would love to have a place like that close to home with rates and CFIs like that!! Any fresh advice on tackling accelerated training? I'm about to jump neck deep into some serious (get it done) training so I can start the job search!! jskibo
All I can say is be prepared, at least have the ground work done and know what you're working on the next day.

Working all day and flying all night was tough, sleep was the first thing to go and I was wiped out.

Make sure the instructor is someone you can spend 30 hours in a week with and has things planned out. Obviously the plane has to be available.

Wife was supportive and knew it was basically sleep and gone for me those 9 days, without that it would be tough.

When the airside work clicked, I started sweating the oral prep. In the end, the oral was fairly easy and I felt over-prepared and I had flown those approaches every night, sometimes 2 and 3 time a night along with every nearby airport.

We spent the last three nights running mock check rides twice a night. Something simple like moving the timer to my clipboard helped me remember to hit it every time, clipped to the grab handle I left it out of my scan sometimes, once the cockpit was set up for "me" and the way I ran my flows everything really clicked.

I like the accelerated method a lot.

Oh, one more thing. He seemed to really cover the special emphasis items in the PTS. Positive control, runway collision avoidance, etc...

Back