"Janet" hiring again...

Do you think with some clever freedom of information act request, one can actually figure out the actual name for Area 52?

Yes, it's called "The Air Force's Operating Location Near Groom Lake, Nevada" in the Executive Orders that talk about it.

Do you think with some clever freedom of information act request, one can actually figure out the actual name for Area 52?

Who cares? If they have flying saucers and aliens in there (doubtful), will find out in 50 years, no need to beat your head against a wall of red tape.

When I was getting my 737 last year some of the instuctors were ex-miiltary and said the TS background checks were about 40K if wanted to fly for Janet and you didn't have one.

I also heard that they may be getting NG's in the near future and retiring the -200's

They have 2 737s with CFM engines sitting on their ramp. Don't know which model they are.

Who cares? If they have flying saucers and aliens in there (doubtful), will find out in 50 years, no need to beat your head against a wall of red tape.

I know it's just a place where they want to test some new aircraft without disturbances, I was just curious on the actual name of the place.

I'm not sure how interesting it would be, you would just fly back and forth between the same handful of airfields. At least you would see some cool stuff, but the flying will probably be mundane. BUt who knows, maybe you have to dodge UFO's.

My brother is a contrator for the DOE and has worked at the NV Testsite (Area 52) and Tonapah and probably Area 51 although he hasnt told me whether he did or did not go to Area 51;). Normally he would get bused out to the testsite but had taken the Janet to Tonopah a few times. The pilots didnt even exit the aircraft before they had to haul a load back to LAS. I cant imagine it being a very exciting job for a pilot unless the pay was good.
The FA duties were to check credentials thouroughly and pass out water or coffee.

Hi!

Thanx 4 the info. I applied.

I used to have a TS clearance (SAC), and I have flown a government aircraft around doing stuff-sounds similar.

cliff
GRB

They have 2 737s with CFM engines sitting on their ramp. Don't know which model they are.

Not sure of the exact model but those things look well used (read: beat to hell) - exited at Sierra (mid-field taxiway on 1L/19R) and parked next to some near the Signature 'over flow' ramp a dozen times or so and they appear ready to be put to the blade. Time to upgrade fellas, and gals.

Not sure of the exact model but those things look well used (read: beat to hell) - exited at Sierra (mid-field taxiway on 1L/19R) and parked next to some near the Signature 'over flow' ramp a dozen times or so and they appear ready to be put to the blade. Time to upgrade fellas, and gals.

The CFM's start on the -300 and newer.

Now what is wrong with a well used aircraft? I fly one and all the old bugs have been worked out. The problem is we keep finding new ones...:D

How would you log your flight time with these guys? You can't very well put "KLAS-Area 51-KLAS" in your logbook.

How would you log your flight time with these guys? You can't very well put "KLAS-Area 51-KLAS" in your logbook.

I'm betting that the dudes who fly there don't log line-by-line hours that necessitate departure and arrival locations.

Back