Jack Brown's Seaplane in Fatal Midair

touch-n-go

Very sad. Had midair with a Cherokee. 4 fatalities. Jack brown Seaplanes is a great place to get seaplane rating. Very sad...

Oh, man that is truly awful. I did my CSES down there and the lakes are *really* close to the runways at the airport. When you do the rating in the J3s, you never get more than 500' AGL.

Very sad.

That airspace around Winter Haven scared the bejesus out of me. A lot of planes entering the pattern on top of one another - lots of the "the sky is mine!" type older guys flying around there.

There is no logical reason why any GA aircraft today is operating without a radio and ADS-B specially a commercial operator; that's border line criminal to do it in a in a congested area. A cheap radio + headphone adapter is less than $ 300.00 !!!!! ADS-B $ 800.00 a pretty good bargain for human life .

Last edited:
There is no logical reason why any GA aircraft today is operating without a radio and ADS-B specially a commercial operator; that's border line criminal to do it in a in a congested area. A cheap radio + headphone adapter is less than $ 300.00 !!!!! ADS-B $ 800.00 a pretty good bargain for human life .

IIRC their Cubs are O-200 powered, and I don’t think they have electrical systems. Which would mean not just adding the cheap radio & ADSB, but also a battery, alternator or generator and it now has an electrical system so beacon or strobes…. Plus the paperwork to get all those STCs or field approvals.

Great video. All analysis should be like this. Not a la Gryder. No mention of high wing low wing but fair given close to head on. Guess short appr = engine out 180 but hard to see how you can lose 500ft that quickly to bring yourself to level with the J3

Yeah I often wonder if ASF decided to put these videos out to be the anti-Gryder and bring some levity to these discussions.

IIRC their Cubs are O-200 powered, and I don’t think they have electrical systems. Which would mean not just adding the cheap radio & ADSB, but also a battery, alternator or generator and it now has an electrical system so beacon or strobes…. Plus the paperwork to get all those STCs or field approvals.

They don’t. The cubs there are all hand-propped by the staff. The intercoms in them are rudimentary units powered by a 9 volt battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They don’t. The cubs there are all hand-propped by the staff. The intercoms in them are rudimentary units powered by a 9 volt battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s what I thought but I haven’t flown any of their cubs so I was guessing that based on social media posts.

I know the J3 doesn’t have an electrical system and isn’t required to have radios but a hand held is cheap as is ADS-B In equipment. Who doesn’t already own a smart phone?

Flying opposite direction at the same altitude, though an active traffic pattern at a busy airport without a radio and ADS-B seems careless to me. Sounds like it’s SOP for the float plane school and has been for 60 years. I know it’s Florida and call it Woke if you like, but a lot of things have changed in 60 years.

My guess? There is a long list of near misses right where this midair collision occurred.

I know the J3 doesn’t have an electrical system and isn’t required to have radios but a hand held is cheap as is ADS-B In equipment. Who doesn’t already own a smart phone?

Flying opposite direction at the same altitude, though an active traffic pattern at a busy airport without a radio and ADS-B seems careless to me. Sounds like it’s SOP for the float plane school and has been for 60 years. I know it’s Florida and call it Woke if you like, but a lot of things have changed in 60 years.

My guess? There is a long list of near misses right where this midair collision occurred.

Anecdotally, there probably are. When I did my CSES there, we were certainly in proximity to the airport but never saw any real traffic conflicts in the couple of days I was down there. This was a few years ago, though.

You don't need any STC's for portable equipment; more than 25 years ago I already had my "EFB" with an extra battery (It was then cumbersome as I had to integrate the various components). Today all you need is a portable radio w/headphone adapter + a portable ADS-B they are all battery powered. Someone here also mentioned the usability of cellphones. What's the value of human life ? there is just no excuse.

Back