J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

Snowbird

To anyone currently in this program or seriously contemplating it, I'd like to get some feedback. I"m a private pilot from Toronto trying to decide between FSA or DCA. I plan on visiting them in the near future but would like to hear some reviews from students in the program in terms of how many hours I can realistically expect to build-up in two years, quality of training, living conditions, etc. Thanks.

I went from 0 time to CFII in 13 months which was a good pace for me considering I didn't fly during any ground schools and took several short breaks in between. The number of hours you want to build is completely up to you. If you wish to rent the aircraft on your own to build more time feel free, but it gets expensive fast. Quality of training in my opinion is excellent, once you tour the academy the decision will be much easier. Good luck, I know several Canadians currently instructing at FSA, they would be excited to have another snowbird around.

I started FSA with 50hrs w/o my private in Sept 2002 and just finished CIME and SE Add-on. I have a total of 240 hrs now and Start CFI in July. I toured both schools and picked FSA for various reasons. I feel I got a first rate education and like the living condition in Vero. I would rate my pace as middle of the pack, my pvt class had about 18 people and I'd say 3 or 4 Finished the CIME in April then moved on, 8 or so finished CIME in May, a few left but some went on with the SE add, and the rest are still working on the CIME. Hope this helps, if you know when your going to be in town let me know (PM me) I'll show you around.

You might call FSA marketing as well, I am pretty sure they will put you up in a room for a few nights for free, at least they did when I started.

[ QUOTE ]
I went from 0 time to CFII in 13 months which was a good pace for me considering I didn't fly during any ground schools and took several short breaks in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as far as I understand the J-1 program at any school is a max time of two years. Seeing the above person took 13 months, lets speed it up a bit to 12 months, this gives you 12 months to build time. The only job your allowed to have on that J-1 Visa is practical training related to the training your going through,in Flight Safetys case and other flight schools that would mean being a Flight Instructor. I assume this is how you plan to build hours in order to look for a job afterwards. From the posts I've seen here, the average wait to be a flight instructor at FSI is over 12 months, then you get one student? Looks like you're going to be paying for a lot of time out of your own pocket to time-build. (which, by the way, is not allowed on student visas since 9/11) Maybe you'll get lucky and the school will allow you to bypass everyone else that been waiting in the pool and let you start instructing right away. That would be your only chance at building some good time.

Best of luck

Students on a Visa don't go on the wait list, they automatically go into the next standardization class. This policy may of changed since I left, but verify this with marketing on your tour.

Thanks for the info guys. You've been very helpful. I'm visiting during the last week of August so I might take you up on that offer n2o2diver.

[ QUOTE ]
Students on a Visa don't go on the wait list, they automatically go into the next standardization class. This policy may of changed since I left, but verify this with marketing on your tour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know either if they still do it that way or not. But does anyone else find this utterly rediculous and slightly unfair?

[ QUOTE ]
No they don't do that anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Latest word from FSA is that they are still doing that. If anyone else has been informed about this point please post what you were told.

Well, dont they actually HAVE TO HAVE a stan class to do that? Or would they set up a 'one on one' sort of thing for those on the visas?

If true, dont think its very fair by the way....its just like shipping jobs out of the country when jobs are needed stateside.

Back