I've got bad sleeping technique.

I used to set my little Timex battery powered alarm clock for the time I actually wanted the alarm to go off. In 7 years that $4 Wal-Mart special never failed to work. Just in case, I'd set my pager [or later my cell phone] alarm for 10 minutes after the Timex alarm. Every once in a while I'd forget to turn off the backup alarm and it would scare the crap out of me when it would go off....

Always check the hotel room alarm clock to make sure it is not set for some weird time, like MIDNIGHT. Especially if you have a 3am wakeup..... I found hotel alarm clocks to be notoriously unreliable. Hotel wakeup calls even MORE unreliable.

I think I'm the only person that actually likes to wake up before the alarm goes off. It's a great feeling to get up, look at the clock, and realize that I have at least an extra hour or two of sleep. Much better than waking up and having to get up right away.

I used to have this problem, but this topic was discussed in indoc training, and many of the methods mentioned above solve it.

Use several forms of alarms, wake up call, cellphone, wall-powered alarm, battery alarm. At least two, preferably three means of wake up should put your fear of oversleeping at ease.

No TV/computer. Avoid coffee etc for most of the day if you can - I think I can feel the effect much longer than 3-4 hours... A cup at noon (midnight) will mess with my heart rhythm 6-9 hours later.

And don't worry about not getting enough sleep, because its likely you'll be just fine even if you just sleep 4-5 hours. Just makes it easier to fall asleep the next night. Being constantly a little behind on sleep will make it easier to fall asleep on a tight schedule. When I rest out completely, typically on a weekend, it makes it harder to sleep at my regular bed time the next night.

And exercise a little. Don't need to be a though program, but just a walk several times per week to get your heart rhythm elevated for at least 45-60 minutes.

This is what I did, and now I really don't have a sleeping problem anymore, I may not always sleep the full 8 hours, but 6-7 is plenty. 7 is quoted as the hours of sleep most healthy people use.

I feel better the next day if I do stay in bed even though I can't sleep. Doing something in the middle of the night only makes the next day so much harder for me to stay awake.

Good sex puts me to sleep for at least 2-3 hours no matter what time of the day it is. Set your clock for 4:59am have sex then go back to sleep for those 2 hours. You gotta be slow and be a minuteman, get it while she is sleeping! This way is the best because there is no nagging involved (just like the days in the beginning of your relationship). I never did accomplish this with out her waking up, maybe you won't have this problem if she is a heavy sleeper. Try having sex out of the bed for a greater workout before bedtime! Try on an exercise ball. I guess you are SOL if you don't have a partner. BTW, what is your gender? If your are a female don't have sex before bedtime. My better half becomes more coherent and alert just after sex. This is a good time to communicate with her but I'm always passed out after.

Lots of good advice here that I'm going to try and follow. With long duty days and rapidly changing timezones frequently, add that I'm naturally a night owl, I frequently find it difficult to be well rested in the morning even when I'm off duty.

Between all of my responsibilities at the airport, I'm always behind by the middle of the week and by Friday I'm on empty for rest. I have my trusted brand of alarm clock, but what I found I have to do is set the alarm clock somewhere else in the room other than next to the bed. Personally, once I'm out of bed I'm up so this seems to work best for me.

I think I get a poor quality of sleep for several reasons. Worrying, caffeine, computer/tv stimulation too close to bedtime are just a few. I'm glad this thread popped up because it's reminded me of how bad my sleep habits are and how many things I do to sabotage good rest.

Back