It’s Not Worth Showing Off

I spent 5+ years living and going to school in texas and even when I was “one of them” socioculturally the Bible Belt always had a little weird undertone to me. At this point though, especially with 3 daughters? Nope no way no how.

Also, summer sucks there.

Gila Bend. Or Quartzite. Quartzite is RV Mecca in the winter.
I stopped in Quartzite this year for some RV service. Stayed in Ehrenburg on the river. To divey and deserty for me. Also spent two nights in Laughlin. What a pit. I really liked Jerome and Bizbee. Bizbee looks to be a bit warmer. Prescott is too cold as is probably anything north of there. It's hard to find the perfect contrast between warmer weather and a bit of natural green without the meth head look. I think anyplace that's kept alive with tourism has a lower meth head count. Except Laughlin.

I stopped in Quartzite this year for some RV service. Stayed in Ehrenburg on the river. To divey and deserty for me. Also spent two nights in Laughlin. What a pit. I really liked Jerome and Bizbee. Bizbee looks to be a bit warmer. Prescott is too cold as is probably anything north of there. It's hard to find the perfect contrast between warmer weather and a bit of natural green without the meth head look. I think anyplace that's kept alive with tourism has a lower meth head count. Except Laughlin.

You may like Crown King, AZ

Unless you want to just live indoors 3 months of the year go somewhere else. If you’re snowbird’ing that’s a method. But understand you are moving to an area that is exploding in real estate value due to the investment opportunities (Texas Triangle) or you live in the middle of nowhere.
Realistically, we're thinking "snow birding." As I recover, if I can get a remote job, there start to be other opportunities that open up. This is my home, I'm never going to get rid of my house here or not at least try to spend summers here, but the winters are making me prematurely old in a way that they didn't do a decade ago at 25. Culturally, I already don't fit in in Alaska, why would I want to not fit-in in some brand new place - this is likely what will remain my "permanent residence." I have very little desire to make any other part of the country my home. I was not really thinking "Texas" in general - but would have been able to be somewhat flexible (For Instance, I like El Paso) But, yeah what you're describing sounds... well, terrible - it sounds terrible. Thanks for the warning lol. Maybe an appartment in Cabo San Lucas instead and I can work from my laptop instead.

You may like Crown King, AZ
MICHAEL!!

:)

But I do like PRC.

In DE’s defense, it’s PHX, TUS a little bit of northern Arizona but the rest of the state is pure “Raising Arizona”

I remember blowing a tire in Kingman and having to spend the night there because, for some odd reason, the warehouse was in Bullhead City even thought Kingman is a main thoroughfare along I-40.

My thoughts were “Why is everyone so depressed, are they on the US dollar and man,this place is one big trailer park”

Realistically, we're thinking "snow birding." As I recover, if I can get a remote job, there start to be other opportunities that open up. This is my home, I'm never going to get rid of my house here or not at least try to spend summers here, but the winters are making me prematurely old in a way that they didn't do a decade ago at 25. Culturally, I already don't fit in in Alaska, why would I want to not fit-in in some brand new place - this is likely what will remain my "permanent residence." I have very little desire to make any other part of the country my home. I was not really thinking "Texas" in general - but would have been able to be somewhat flexible (For Instance, I like El Paso) But, yeah what you're describing sounds... well, terrible - it sounds terrible. Thanks for the warning lol. Maybe an appartment in Cabo San Lucas instead and I can work from my laptop instead.
I have a friend that bought an apartment in Istanbul and is having it completely remodeled. He's unsure if that's his retirement home but he's always smiling and tan when he comes home.

I think the touristy/artsy towns are pretty cool. Real estate is cheaper than I'm used to. Nice weather. I love Prescott but too cold in the winter. I joined a Bisbee facebook page and it seems like a good mix of weirdness. I'll fit right in.

I think the touristy/artsy towns are pretty cool. Real estate is cheaper than I'm used to. Nice weather. I love Prescott but too cold in the winter. I joined a Bisbee facebook page and it seems like a good mix of weirdness. I'll fit right in.
Bisbee is really cool, super friendly people. Could be worth checking out the Cottonwood area too, but it didn’t really seem quite the same as Bisbee. Still a little artsy but a little bit more of a “boomer tourist” vibe.

Bisbee is really cool, super friendly people. Could be worth checking out the Cottonwood area too, but it didn’t really seem quite the same as Bisbee. Still a little artsy but a little bit more of a “boomer tourist” vibe.
Bisbee is not the same as Bisbee?

I spent a couple nights in Cottonwood this winter. I really like Jerome but you can't park an RV up there. They have this beautiful huge parking lot past the firehouse but you can't park up there overnight. Jerome has great views but also pretty small and think there is just more going on in Bisbee. I haven't had a chance to check out Clarkdale but nothing in Cottonwood really impressed me.

Back