It's FIRC time again

TheFlyingTurkey

Fetus Worshiper
Another 2 years gone by, I can't believe it. Well, I'm doing the Gleim FIRC on-line with the renewal service to avoid a trip to the FSDO.

I haven't been instructing much at all, just an occasional BFR for a buddy or some safety pilot. But a guy I met at work has access to an Arrow and he wants to get his private pilot. Looks like I'll be flying again this summer. :)

Good luck with the FIRC, I don't know how well the Gleim is but just remember that all of them want to give you a refresher.

Gleim all the way.

Good luck on the FIRC. If you do it right, you will learn something.

I've done the Gleim and the AF. I like the Gleim better, but the cost savings of the AF makes it very attractive on an instructor's budget (or lack thereof).

I literally finished my FIRC online a few hours ago. I'd been putting off the last module for a week or so. I did the Jeppessen-second time I've used it. It so easy. I did it mainly while drinking on the weekends.

I need to do that too. My CFI expires in November. How many months early can you do it? Does anyone remember?

I need to do that too. My CFI expires in November. How many months early can you do it? Does anyone remember?

You can do it at any time, although up to 3 months early will allow you to keep your same expiration month.

You can do it at any time, although up to 3 months early will allow you to keep your same expiration month.

Say you are using the AF's one, can you take a module every once-in-awhile and then end with the last module within the 3 months or are you supposed to finish all modules within the 3 months?

Say you are using the AF's one, can you take a module every once-in-awhile and then end with the last module within the 3 months or are you supposed to finish all modules within the 3 months?

If I understood their fine print, the online course is valid for 90 days after purchase. I didn't pay that much attention though because I didn't need that time to finish.

You could, however plan it out to suit your needs. For example, lets say you expire in December. To keep your same month expiration, you can complete the course as early as October 1. Subtract 89 days from that for the AF course (around July 4th or so) and the last day to fall on oct 1.

I procrastinated to the last minute and then on the 29th of the month my CFI was going to expire I do the American Flyers online FIRC. I found out that each page you read will only credit 10min to the time requirements so I would set a 10 minute timer, then click 'next' page and then watch youtube.

Finished the FIRC in 1 day, fedexed it priority overnight for $6 (fedex discount is best airline perk) and gave them $35 for processing and had my temporary certificate 6 days later.

Back