It's Finally Over

Flyinthrew

After over 20 years in the Marine Corps, and 10 of it in flight status, it is time to move on. I have almost 1400 hours in the AV-8B, over 500 of which was instructional with people who had zero to very little flight time in the aircraft. I got to scare myself about once a month or so, and I had motivated new guys find new ways to endanger our lives on a continuous basis, but I never bent one or had to jump out of one. I almost can't believe it. Now on to flying KingAirs in Africa. I'm a glutton for "adventure" I guess.

EDIT: I can't get all the pictures to show without having to click on the links:

View attachment A23A2767.jpgView attachment A23A2802.jpgView attachment A23A2813.jpg
A23A2852.jpg

Africa is, interesting. Be safe out there. The people at least in Sierra Leone were some of the most lovely I've met on this planet. The infrastructure situation was kind of insane.

My mother in law was a peace corps worker in SL during the mid/late 1960's.....has similar memories. Interestingly enough, my father in law was in the same position at the same time, but in Iran (somewhere up on the Caspian coast). They didn't know each other from that, and had also grown up in adjacent neighborhoods of SEA, also not knowing one another.

@Flyinthrew are you retired now?

Well, technically the retirement ceremony is Tuesday morning. And then I don't go on terminal leave until 1 December, but I'm going to hang out in my underwear at home until then using my "house hunting" and "job hunting" time off entitlements. Then FSI in December.

I think the question is whether I'm flying DOD C-12s or not. Just so I don't have to dirty up the place with another thread in the announcements subforum, I snagged a job flying contract ISR for Meta Special Aerospace (the artist formerly known as CAT). I never really saw myself as the contract ISR type, but I think it is an excellent place to hide while 121is in rehab.

Congrats! Always willing to answer questions about the flying zoo if Africa gets too exciting.

I'm keeping my apps warm over there and at school bus just in case this gig isn't compatible with the rest of my life. I think that realization and LCC hiring will probably be temporally similar if it happens.

Congrats, sir! If you ever end up somewhere that’s frequented by 747s with a naked dude holding a beach ball, let me know. Beer is on/in me!
Your kind are coming through NKT all the time! Sierra Pacific, Kalitta, and Omni, too. The invitation is always out there when you come through here, even if it's just a coffee on a turnaround. I don't know exactly where in Africa I'l be yet, but if it's HDAM, the offer stands there, too.

Ah man... are you always that ugly?

Well congrats on the time off and permanently knowing where the mortgage payment is coming from for the rest of your life.

With that enjoy your free appetizer this Wednesday.

Well earned for managing to get through 20 (even if technically 10) in the scarier and never have to pull the “F this I’m out” handle. I know people not so lucky so you had to have been doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done career! Passing the nuances of CAS down to the new breed in your final years. Congrats on retirement and finishing up. FSI Atlanta or Wichita, I presume?

Ah man... are you always that ugly?

Well congrats on the time off and permanently knowing where the mortgage payment is coming from for the rest of your life.

With that enjoy your free appetizer this Wednesday.

Well earned for managing to get through 20 (even if technically 10) in the scarier and never have to pull the “F this I’m out” handle. I know people not so lucky so you had to have been doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am always at least that ugly. Thank you for noticing!

Well done career! Passing the nuances of CAS down to the new breed in your final years. Congrats on retirement and finishing up. FSI Atlanta or Wichita, I presume?

I would have really enjoyed one of those contract CAS gigs. Both Blue Air and Valkyrie Aero were really positive they would have spots, but the task orders never got funded. I'll get through the KA sims and one of them is going to call, and I sadly will have to regret the invitation (I think FedEx or UPS may be the only possible job offers out there right now that are going to be able to push me off of this gig before a significant portion of the training contract is worked off).

I'll be in Wichita which is the location of their G1000 box. Kansas in December...yay.

Congrats Uncle Sam's Misguided Child!!! Relax and enjoy. Pick the next journey/adventure carefully. No need to rush. Let us know how you are making out.

1605239328039.png

Back