Island Airways - Beaver Island crash

Interesting outfit

I flew Islanders in a similar operation in Lake Erie. I can’t imagine what happened. The islander is built like a tank and stupid simple to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the brother of Kate one of the deceased.

My family is from charlevoix and we have rode on island airways for the past 30 years with probably hundreds of flights all together.

The pilot that was flying was new and had just started for them in april for weekends. He was a local middle school teacher and aviation enthusiasts. My understanding was this was his first commercial job.

I have been to the island and talked to to the deupty sherif who was at the scene.

The crash was witnessed. They had radioed in 10 min out and 1 to 2 min out that everything was on track. The were on line with approach. At start of run way the left wing dipped and they went nose down from about 20 feet up.

People were on scene with in 30 seconds. Pilot was still talking and little girl was alive, but my sister, her husband, and other passenger were never conscious or had a pulse. Their dogs also died on impact.

The weather was fair. It had sleeted lightly earlier in day but the plane had already done one trip out and back. Temp was 39 at the time. Wind was under 20 from northwest. Vis was good > 5 miles. The cost guard heli was already up in grand traverse bay and they were on scene in less then 10 minutes. They had no problems getting in and out.

I am sorry to all the families involved. It has been very difficult.

You have my sincerest condolences.

Most of us on here try to avoid speculating as to the cause of an accident. It may take a year or two, but it is best to let the NTSB do their investigation and issue their final report.

If I were you, I would avoid all aviation related websites (to include youtube). All you will get is speculation and heresay.

I hope you and your family can lean on your faith, and each other, during this difficult time.

Yes. Thats what we are trying to do. NTSB investigator called us today and said 2 to 6 weeks for prelim report. 24 months for factual report and 24 to 36 months for final report with causation.

Wait for the NTSB Report and spend time with your family. Thank you for the information but I agree with @guywhoflies, avoid these forums until a lot of time passes.
It’s better for you and family right now.
God Bless!!

I am the brother of Kate one of the deceased.

My family is from charlevoix and we have rode on island airways for the past 30 years with probably hundreds of flights all together.

The pilot that was flying was new and had just started for them in april for weekends. He was a local middle school teacher and aviation enthusiasts. My understanding was this was his first commercial job.

I have been to the island and talked to to the deupty sherif who was at the scene.

The crash was witnessed. They had radioed in 10 min out and 1 to 2 min out that everything was on track. The were on line with approach. At start of run way the left wing dipped and they went nose down from about 20 feet up.

People were on scene with in 30 seconds. Pilot was still talking and little girl was alive, but my sister, her husband, and other passenger were never conscious or had a pulse. Their dogs also died on impact.

The weather was fair. It had sleeted lightly earlier in day but the plane had already done one trip out and back. Temp was 39 at the time. Wind was under 20 from northwest. Vis was good > 5 miles. The cost guard heli was already up in grand traverse bay and they were on scene in less then 10 minutes. They had no problems getting in and out.

I am sorry to all the families involved. It has been very difficult.
Condolences Joshua.

We have friends that are life-long seasonal residents on the island, and I know what a close-knit community that is. Hurts.

Back