Is this 'reckless operation'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry brotha, I'm the Rick Ross of the aviation internet.

dave-chapelle-lil-jon-what.jpg

Yeah.... so here we go. Is a low pass inherently illegal (a violation)? No! Could it be? Yes, but not without some additional facts (where, when, and a host of other factors). Is the FAA the "judge, jury, and executioner?" Not really... more like the police officer. Yes they do have a lot of real or implied discretion both in when they choose to violate you (at the inspector level) and how they interpret regulations and apply facts (generally at the agency level). But in the final analysis, you will have your opportunity to be heard. And eventually you can find your way into the civil court system. Is the playing field still tipped against you? Probably, but it is better than it has been in the past. It will never be a perfect world. And, honestly, most of us pretty well know when we're pushing the envelope.

Thanks for the answer.

As a side note, the ALPA Lawyers have had VERY good results with fighting the FAA when it goes down that road.

Does the FAA tend to go with the "if it looks bad...." theory when they try and prosecute things like that?

In the military, they definitely go with the "perception is reality" philosophy , even if the actions were ultimately not against rules or unsafe. Looking sketchy is as bad as being sketchy, at least when it comes to initial investigation of incidents.

Once again, I don't see how that is 'fun'.
Fantastic, flying a seneca seems like chore to me low pass or not. But it may be fun to other people and if they aren't endangering anyone who cares?
I don't see anything fun about throwing on a firesuit and jumping in a top fuel dragster but people do it and it even puts spectators in danger.
I'm guessing you are against air shows, air races, or anything else outside of going to work and coming home to the suburbs.

Fantastic, flying a seneca seems like chore to me low pass or not. But it may be fun to other people and if they aren't endangering anyone who cares?
I don't see anything fun about throwing on a firesuit and jumping in a top fuel dragster but people do it and it even puts spectators in danger.
I'm guessing you are against air shows, air races, or anything else outside of going to work and coming home to the suburbs.
Some people juggle geese.

OMG! A wing waggle while in climb.......

low pass 747 celebrating new acquisition.....we're all gonna die!

Various carriers and their pilots ferrying new hulls from Paine often involves some very steep climbs, a fly by, low passes, waggles, short take offs, fast take offs, really spooling up the new engines, and all sorts of harmless, innocent fun. Seen it, done it. Zillions of videos on the net of them.

Flying an empty heavy is more fun than a barrel of drunk monkeys.

Last edited:
Well except for this guy....
777flyby.jpg

Yeah, he did get the boot for that (don't know the details of how that came about).....but you must admit since you are parked there, (don't know how many years you've been up there) that you have seen exactly what I am describing and back in the day....it was the norm. You could ask ATC for permission for certain things and tell them your intent for others. I still see current and recent certain maneuvers happening from pickups on videos that I find on the net without consequences. We won't get into the tray surfing that may have taken place on a few occasions. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back