Is there anything good about Pan Am?

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to come in spurts also. About 3 months ago about a dozen of our instructors were going several places. Now, things are literally at a stand still. I happen to be in place ready to go but no one is hiring. Very frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesaba is interviewing Pan Am Graduates right now and a few have already been hired.

Really? Have any left yet? I don't think anyone has left phoenix since first week of June...

[ QUOTE ]
Aviation is simply tough these days. Regardless of school policies, FBO vs Academy, etc, etc; it's just hard to find people with the money to push through a professional pilot program. That or these same people are unwilling to incur that debt that comes with a loan, regardless of their love for flying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be signing a loan app right now if the outlook wasn't so completely dismal. Granted, I would be foolish to wait for a full-fledged industry boom before jumping into my commercial/ME, but there doesn't seem to be much hope among the faithful these days. Why take on a $40k+ loan if there's a very good chance that you'll end up right back in your crummy day job after ten years of struggling? (But then, we all know why...)

I was very skeptical about Pan Am because of this forum also. I gave it a chance and I love it! Here's the deal. You have to be willing to give 120% or else you will not make it. Pan Am and the other academies are very fast paced and demanding. If you are willing to study hard and stay focused you will do great at Pan Am. While I have been here, I have seen several people wash out. They are the ones that brag about partying all night and getting drunk. Well, they failed ground school, and blamed everyone but themselves. The Chief Flight Instructor talks with them trying to get them focused and then they say how the Chief is trying to be their dad, and how Pan Am sucks. They are probably signing up at Jet Careers to get in line to bash Pan Am. So please do not listen only to the bad stuff. I absolutely love it here at Pan Am and would not go anywhere else.
Hope this helps.

how far are you in your training? also, try not to make assumptions on those who have not so nice things to say about Panam.

Thanks for all the info from everyone. I have decided on Pan Am and start in 2 weeks. I have my PPL and am anxious to get flying again. Thanks again.

PanAm is interviewing for instructors for the KLM program in Fort Pierce. Why are they looking for instructor's outside the school rather than using some of the more senior instructors already there? I know it requires 200 hours of PIC while on an instrument flight plan but that shouldn't be a problem for the more experienced line instructors. I'm interested in the job and will be in Fort Pierce next week to interview. Any thoughts from you guys already there would be appreciated.

From what I have heard, the KLM job requires a one year contract, and travel to Holland for training. Some of the more senior instructors probably dont want to be tied into a one year contract.

The Turk.

Thanks for the response. I was just wondering what the inside word is. George Engels told me there is a month of training that is conducted down the road at Stuart. There is no travel to Holland. He did say there was a one year contract involved and no multi-time, and that kept some of the instructors from being interested. Still seems like they would be able to recruit from within given the poor job prospects right now.
I'll be down there next Wednesday to interview so I'll know more then.

the KLM instructors we used to hang out with when i was there had it made, except for the no multi time thing. they were paid extremely well. they worked pretty regular hours, no b.s. to deal with. one guy was in at 7 and out by noon pretty much everyday. back then they did send them to holland for training to. i'd jump on it if you have the qualifications...of course thats if things are still the same as they were.

Thanks for the info. Do the KLM guys work 7 days a week? I do that now anyway but it gets old after a couple years!

For what it's worth, Pan Am--or as I like to call them, PAIFA--passed Doug's sniff test a year or two ago.

Back