Is the FSI fare fair?

goldeneagle

Hey guys. Hate to sound like a glutton, but how do you guys generally manage for food, especially the bachelors? I remember a post saying the FSI dorms don't even allow hot plates or microwaves. Are there enough good restaurants about, and how is the much vaunted FSI cafe, you know, variety, prices, hours?
Can one survive wthout resorting to a daily staple of Ramen noodles (like some of us did in our undergrad years /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif And do you folks recommend moving into the larger dorms with two others or the more expensive single ones, which is where I am leaning right now until I can find roommates?

Any replies would be welcome, I'm sure Chunk can provide a gouge of all things edible in Vero by now.

Well, when I lived in the dorms (for 1 month) I had my fair share of Romain noodles...I then moved into Cantebury place where I definitely did alot of cooking and barbacues. In Vero there were few restaurants of interest to me, too many fast food places and not many mom and pop places to eat. No deli's at all. There were two good Mexican restaurants, one being right in from of St. Helen's church, the other one being in front of Winn Dixie shopping center (great salsa!). A more pricy meal can be found at a restaurant called the Black Pearl which is on the other side of the river, good food. Up in Sebastian there's always Captain Hiram's, it's on the water, sort of an eclectic atmosphere. Good drinks (so they say !).

I'm sure Chunk can provide a gouge of all things edible in Vero by now.

********Exactly how should I take this? I see....give the fat guy a hard time....okay!

Personally, TGI's and the pizza/pasta joint in the Hess station are at the top of the list...

Mrs. Veronaut's chicken is pretty good, too!

Chunk

And not to mention Mrs.Heat's Italian Cuisine. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif This one was hard to resist. Once we get settled in next month, all are welcome. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Some of the FSI dorms have kitchenettes with stoves so I'm not sure why they wouldn't want a microwave.

The FSI cafe is a good value and decent food, but they don't serve supper. I think that you can get food until 3pm if you want to save it for later.

Local restaurants range from fast food to upscale seafood. I personally like the Qwik Snak at the corner of 43rd Ave. and Route 60. There is also the usual range of fast food places including the Chic-Fil-A at the mall. The food court also has a decent Chinese restaurant.

Another good deal is the place that serves English cuisine ( I don't remember the name of it) at the curve on US 1 just south of the intersection with 20th St. (route 60). Their entrees are around $6-8 each and include salad and dessert.

*** I remember a post saying the FSI dorms don't even allow hot plates or microwaves****

I am in a dorm room right now while looking for a place to live and am microwaving my bountiful tv dinner as I type. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Mark

Thanks a lot for the replies. Mark, I thought you were a September 3 start like me, aren't you a little early getting down there or am I cutting it close by driving down from Chicagoland the last week of August? Thanks for the tips Chunk and dave.
As far as food goes, as long as there is a little variety and healthy enough stuff, (not to mention that much vaunted Italian food Heat keeps tempting us with), I ought to be fine. I generally can't stand fast food though, McDonalds can barely count me amongst its 99 billion served.
I'll try to get something with at least a stove and microwave, but in case I don't, you guys will know why if the airport and flight line gets shut down due to smoke on the runway.

Is the FSI fare fair?

Toojay's is a pretty good sit down deli place...its no New York deli...but oh well.

CJ Cannon's (at VRB) occasionally has all you can eat clam strips for like 7.99, which are actually very good.

For a good, inexpensive snack (if you have a sweet tooth), go to Rita's Italian Ice. It's a little walk up place just off the Miracle Mile...behind the Mexican/Sushi place (which is also very good). Good stuff over there.

And, if you want a bit of a drive...Dino's on US 1 in Ft. Pierce (about 3 miles from FPR) is a good sit down diner, with good food at really good prices. But they don't take credit cards.

Hope that helps a little...

/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Oh yeah...Quik Snak is definitely good. Also if you like chinese buffet, Joy Luck II on US 1 (next to Chili's) is a good value for lunch.

There is a Mexican restaurant "Los Amigos" and the owner has a Japanese place right next to it. They have a common kitchen...I liked the place, reasonable price. Give it a try!

All,

Mexican/sushi, some other guy mentioned something about banana pepers, I'm I missing anything else....man florida's going to be a riot on my stomach.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Thank god I married a woman who can cook up a storm, it's good old fashioned old italian style. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Best Regards,
Heat2151

"There is a Mexican restaurant "Los Amigos" and the owner has a Japanese place right next to it. They have a common kitchen...I liked the place, reasonable price. Give it a try!"

I enjoy "Ay Jalisco" much better, Mexican foods are much better when cooked by Mexicans. The place is my favorite.

'naut

Actually Los Amigos has a genuine "Mexican Kitchen." It's not like there are japaneese cooks preparing burritos. It's just owned by an Asian guy....

Back