Is Microsoft Flight Simulator a good learning tool?

I concur w/ the instrument training comments. I was having a really hard time w/ NDB holds and what not, so rather than spending the $$$ in the simulator, I would spend hours MSFS praciticing. The course/mapping feature was very useful as it would give me some feedback as to how my holds turning out. It has also helped w/ learning the procedural stuff when I was a private. ie. flying the pattern and when power/flap changes were supposed to happen.

All in all, I think it saved me quite a bit of $$$ during my instrument rating. Just keep in mind, like most of the other posts have replied, FS is NOT like the real thing, but can be a useful teaching tool.

It's good for instrument training and getting procedures and flows down. But then again, a decent poster is good for procedures and flows. The flight dynamics on the default planes is hideous. I was flying the 737-400 from BHM to BWI last night, and it stalled out at 10 degree pitch, mach .65, at FL320. If that were the case, all of SWA's planes would be falling out of the sky!

[ QUOTE ]
10 degree pitch, mach .65, at FL320. If that were the case, all of SWA's planes would be falling out of the sky!

[/ QUOTE ]

Any airplane can stall at any attitude and at any airspeed. We need more information. What was the AOA from the relative wind?

Indicated was around 210. I was getting food in the kitchen (a decided perk w/ MSFS), and had the autopilot flying with the autothrottle set at mach .75 and climbing to FL350. Next thing I know, I hear the clicking noise, and the autopilot has stalled the damn thing for me. Guess that's why I'm still flying 172s......
smile.gif

210'll stall you quicker than nothing at altitude.

Generally the area between mach buffett and clean configuration stall is pretty small.

[ QUOTE ]
I was having a really hard time w/ NDB holds and what not, so rather than spending the $$$ in the simulator, I would spend hours MSFS praciticing.

[/ QUOTE ]

NDBs are dying anyway!! Wait a little while longer, and it'll be out of the PTS completely!! Worthless skill set. Well, not worthless, as some purists will say otherwise.

Good riddens!!!!

NDB's are emergency procedures! Ack! Me no likey!

I mean they're fun when you know what you're doing, but if you're lost, holy crap do they suck!

I spend half of my time, in the simulator, thinking "Gee, do I turn right, or was it left? shoot, well I've got a crosswind so I'm crabbing...MDA!"

SWA is slowly removing the ADFs from the flight deck. I was talking to a capt the other day, and he was lamenting on the fact that they took away his AM radio.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SWA is slowly removing the ADFs from the flight deck. I was talking to a capt the other day, and he was lamenting on the fact that they took away his AM radio.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, that sucks. How else are you supposed to get the news?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't flown a plane with an ADF in over a year now, but I used to listen to the same AM station from the Carolina coast to East Tennessee!!! Great to pass the time when you're doing 70 knots over the ground!!!

For IFR training, the flight sim was very valuable to me - but I made the investment of buying the yoke and pedals which I would highly recommend.

For VFR however, the sim is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

[ QUOTE ]
For IFR training, the flight sim was very valuable to me - but I made the investment of buying the yoke and pedals which I would highly recommend.

For VFR however, the sim is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmm...chocolate!!!

The instructors that I have been working with on my CFI have warned about combating the "MSFS ace" when doing primary training. The one even said that for many of the first few lessons with climbs, turns, descents, straight and level flight, and steepturns, he will cover up all of the instruments except for the altimeter and airspeed indicator. The rest aren't needed for VFR flight anyways and it will teach the student to look outside for references instead of staring at the instrument panel in front of them like in flight simulator.

Well...MSFS is in my opinion a very well done IFR trainer, I recomend it to certain students and others I dont even bring it up, depends on age and first immpression on "ability" to work a computer (I get a lot of older guys/gals). VFR....Eh, nah...I use FS myself sometimes, I enjoy flying that DC-3 around. Unrealistic? Yeah-Doubt Cat II's existed in the DC-3 but they do in MSFS.

Yeah, I hate the fact that these simulators love to make your aircraft weathervane into the wind, even though the wind velocity is only three knots. The people that make these sims don't seem to realize that light/moderate winds really don't turn an aircraft around its vertical axis that much.

Realistic airplanes? None of the planes are really realistic; the 737 flys like a big and fast 172 that slowly responds to power adjustments.

Guys, keyword here is addons. The default aircraft suck, no denying that. But with some of the payware or even good freeware packages and a yoke and pedals you're close to the realism of a Cat D sim, for considerably less cost.

[ QUOTE ]
Or when you have to repeatedly hear: "But in Microsoft Flight Sim...."

[/ QUOTE ]

Had that happen. I was just like "this is real life, not a computer game." I don't know how many times I had to bring that up.

Back