Is me Career over before it even started??

You definitely screwed yourself out of getting a loan by yourself. Do you have parents that will/can co-sign for you? If not, you will have to just pay as you go, which isn't a bad thing.

Yes, My dad will hopefully cosign with me under the condition that I live with them until I have the loan payed off.

Yes, My dad will hopefully cosign with me under the condition that I live with them until I have the loan payed off.

Your parents do realize that most of these loans are 15 year terms right?

Your parents really want you in their house for an additional 15 years? I suppose that saves you money on not paying rent, but also makes your ability to actually grow up like a real human kinda difficult.

Yes, and this is why I want to know if it will effect going to ATP next year, do they check to see if you have good credit?

No, there is no credit application. You just show up, tell them you want to be a jet pilot, and that you will pay them later. No problem. :cwm27:

$425 a month for auto insurance??? Someone should be shot! :panic:

+1

last time my insurance was that high, i had a 97 mustang w/ full coverage and a 2004 Crotch rocket w/ full coverage and 2 points left on my license... oh the days.

Seriously though. Find a way of getting out from under that car w/o letting it get repo'd and crappy insurance rate!!

Honestly, and this is my personal opinion - not some airline hiring board's - but if I see someone can't manage their finances in good order, what is to lead me to think they'll be able to manage their professional life in good order? Food for thought.

Whoa Skipper, easy. Take one trip to the Emergency Room without medical insurance and then see what happens to your credit score. Divorce your cheating wife and give her half. Sue the drunk driver that killed your son. There are literally millions of reasons why someone could have damaged finances that can be explained away and understood by even the most thick-headed person.

I'd be more worried about an airline balking on the driving record then your financial situation. Best advice is DON'T get another ticket between now and when ever you apply to an airline. Driving records are most certainly something they look at.

My advice to you would be to stop worrying about a future career in any field right now.

Right now, worrying about a career is like the captain of the Titanic wondering how to dock in New York's harbor right after the iceberg hit.

You're going to get your car repossessed. That's your iceberg.

Stop worrying about docking in New York's harbor.

Worry about the iceberg.

Figure out how to stop the leaking and then after the leak is plugged, you can think about docking in the harbor.

Whoa Skipper, easy. Take one trip to the Emergency Room without medical insurance and then see what happens to your credit score. Divorce your cheating wife and give her half. Sue the drunk driver that killed your son. There are literally millions of reasons why someone could have damaged finances that can be explained away and understood by even the most thick-headed person.

Whoa Skippa'

Take another look at what I wrote.

I said manage one's finances, and in turn the related financial decisions that can be managed.

Suing the drunk driver that killed your son - Not controllable, and certainly not manageable.

One trip to the Emergency room without medical insurance - Controllable; buy health insurance - or don't. . .we purchased health insurance over a year and a half ago when we moved and did not fall under a group plan yet. Now as far as managing the costs, not manageable.

Divorce your cheating wife; well. . .some would say this is controllable, don't sign the papers. Manageable? Part of the risks associated with getting married some would say, but I'll say it's not manageable.

So - like you see. . .there's a difference in unplanned, non-manageable financial decisions that we as adults and young adults make.

Buying a new car, then having a ridiculously high insurance policy, with very little credit history; now that there is manageable.

Getting a huge loan for flight training, defaulting on said loan, that is manageable.

Going to Las Vegas and getting 10 grand from a Loan Shark at 50% because you got a great feeling the slots and tables will like you this weekend, and losing it all. . .that was manageable.

Whoa Skippa'

Take another look at what I wrote.

I said manage one's finances, and in turn the related financial decisions that can be managed.

Suing the drunk driver that killed your son - Not controllable, and certainly not manageable.

One trip to the Emergency room without medical insurance - Controllable; buy health insurance - or don't. . .we purchased health insurance over a year and a half ago when we moved and did not fall under a group plan yet. Now as far as managing the costs, not manageable.

Divorce your cheating wife; well. . .some would say this is controllable, don't sign the papers. Manageable? Part of the risks associated with getting married some would say, but I'll say it's not manageable.

So - like you see. . .there's a difference in unplanned, non-manageable financial decisions that we as adults and young adults make.

Buying a new car, then having a ridiculously high insurance policy, with very little credit history; now that there is manageable.

Getting a huge loan for flight training, defaulting on said loan, that is manageable.

Going to Las Vegas and getting 10 grand from a Loan Shark at 50% because you got a great feeling the slots and tables will like you this weekend, and losing it all. . .that was manageable.

But suffice to say that an airline (or more realistically some other hiring panel that does meticulously examine a candidate's financial history) should use some discretion in what you say is manageable and what you say isn't. There are 55 million "US Americans" who don't have health insurance. The divorce rate currently sits over 50%. There were nearly 17,000 deaths and another 275,000 disfigured or injured as a result of drunk driving, one third of them children. Certainly some of these people lead exemplary professional lives - some possibly sitting in the cockpits that you or I sling gear for.

FWIW, if I were the OP, I would probably seek a second job to avoid a repo, and like everybody else suggests see what you can do to negotiate a lower insurance rate. I seriously doubt it will have much bearing, if any, on an airline interview.

Yes, I agree. . .and I would expect most hiring boards that examine a candidates financial history uses some discretion.

Such as I would in using discretion in seeing that a candidate has defaulted on a student loan, or has an extremely high debt to income ratio due to poor financial decisions. Or, I would use discretion on a candidate that had a high debt to income ratio due to unfortunate acts of poor timing (divorce, lawsuit against a drunk driver who took out his/her son).

Could it effect me getting a airline job in the future?
Most likely NO.

If your dead set on taking out a big loan for flight school you can always become current with your car payments and immediately get your dad to co-sign and get the big loan. After you get the big school loan which will be within a month from applying, then give back your car to screw your credit up.

Listen carefully… I and the others on this board have either been through or know others that have been in your shoes.

You are still young enough to do anything you want in life and there is no reason to start screwing up your future now. Put your plans to be a pilot on hold for a short time and take care of the car problem. You already realize your paying way to much in order to have a new car and impress the ladies. However I don’t think $637 a month is undoable even for a 21 yr old (living at home). What you need to do is figure out how to get rid of the car without a repo or bankruptcy, this is very doable. Perhaps your parents would be willing to help you! Sell the car for what it’s worth maybe you’ll need to have your parents or yourself get a loan to cover the difference between the selling price and your loan amount. Even if you end up paying off a loan for $5,000 that is only $500 a month for 10 months and then you would be free and clear of your current dept and still have a clean credit record. Trust me the negative credit will haunt you for a long time. I realize that sometimes having a repo or bankruptcy is unavoidable however in your case it shouldn’t even be considered!!! If you need to get another job to help get you out of this mess then do it. Remember its only temporary and then you can start over. I imagine it could all be done in less than a year…

You will be in such a better situation if you just use your head and do the smart thing here… Don’t take what seems like the easy road out cause YOU WILL REGRET IT LATER!

Well said Jet.

The "airline pilot" training should be put on hold until his financial issues are secured.

It's a 2005 Nissan Sentra Spec V. Insurance: 425 per month. Car note: 212 per month. I can't afford it no more they cut back my hours at my job.

I'm sure I don't need to point out the obvious at this point, but if your insurance payments are double your monthly car note, that should have been a clue that the car was unaffordable. If your driving record is bad enough that it warrants a $425/mo insurance premium, that's their way of telling you to find something a car that you can afford to carry liability only on. Especially on a Sentra!

If you're going to do a voluntary repo, it would be in your best interest to negotiate with the bank about what you'll owe after they repo the car and how long you'll have to pay it. If it were me, I'd put it up for sale TODAY for what you owe on it if you're not horribly upside down on the note. Get a beater, park the Sentra and knock the coverage down to minimum coverage liability. Yes, I know there's a note on the car, but by the time the bank catches wind of it (usually not until the insurance renews) you'll have the car sold. The goal is to try to keep your head above water until the car sells and with a $425/mo bill, that's pretty hard.

What you're paying for a car right now could pay for a PPL license in about 6-7 months if you don't rent from a glitzy 141 school that has a flight line of a dozen or more new or nearly new airplanes.

Most likely NO.

If your dead set on taking out a big loan for flight school you can always become current with your car payments and immediately get your dad to co-sign and get the big loan. After you get the big school loan which will be within a month from applying, then give back your car to screw your credit up.

interesting....... :D

Something else to consider is the fact that if you have a repo you will now have to pay an even higher insurance premium in the future cause insurance companies pull credit records also.

Like someone else said if you let the bank repo your car you are still going to have to pay the difference back to them... They will not let you go! Wouldn't it be better to take care of it yourself and not have the negative credit? You will gain nothing by letting them take the car other than a few hundred dollars in your wallet until they catch up to you for the balance.

You will end filing bankruptcy in the end and at the age of 21 over a few thousand dollars that is just stupid!

Sorry for my rant I just know how your thinking and I want to help you avoid what you are about to do to yourself.

Wow you're definitely getting screwed with auto insurance. But more importantly you're screwing yourself over by not getting your priorities in order. Try to get your finances in order, then worry about flying. It's not like there's tons of jobs out there just waiting for you anyway. You have time. Be patient.

Back