Is it possible to Transfer Flight lessons to College credits?

Virusss

Is it possible to Transfer Flight lessons to College credits? I heard so much stuff on how you can get credits for college while doing your flilght training. How does that work? And is there a limitations on what degree you have in order for this to work?

I don't think you can transfer your lessons while actually flying to college credits but ground schools often can be counted for credit. And lots of appicable courses such as meteorology etc.

It depends on the program. Usually only if you're going into an aviation degree program. Example - you probably won't get credit for them in a business degree program but you might in an aviation technology program.

When I went to Purdue in their aviation program I was given credit for 6 hours worth of classes because I already had my private license. Essentially I tested out of Private Pilot ground lectures and Private Pilot flight class. Flying lessons alone won't get you anything but having your license before you go into a collegiate aviation program probably will.

Jason

Yaro-well it depends on the school, and what degree you are seeking, however every school is different. If you have your PPL, and enter into an aviation flight program some schools may make you test out of your required PPL ground school, along with an oral, and a flight test similar to a PPL checkride to receive class credit.Other schools may make you take an abbreviated PPL course.If you are seeking a degree in business and already have a PPL, you will not get class credit.Every school is different so you will have to check with the school that you plan on attending.

some colleges will give you credit for your licenses- private, commercial, etc. - if you are going for an aviation degree. Also- most colleges have at least a private pilot ground school class and you can get credit for that one as an elective for almost any degree, if you have your ppl.

STOP....the answer is yes.....but it does take some qualification.

I'll use myself as an example. When I started college in North Carolina, I already had a private pilot certificate. Now, since was a "Career Pilot Technology" major, one of the required courses at the college was "Private Pilot Flight Theory" (Ground School, as a college course), and another was "Private Pilot Flight - Practical" (Flying). And yet another was Air Navigation (advanced ground material - for cross country, etc).In order to pass the theory and navigation courses, you had to physically go to the class, 3 times per week, and study....just like algebra, philosophy, etc. In order to pass Private Pilot Flight, you actually had to complete your Private certificate.

Now, since I already had my private certificate, I automatically recieved credit (similar to transfer credit) for Private pilot flight, Private pilot flight theory, and Air navigation. This was called "Credit by examination". By virtue of the fact that I passed the checkride on the first try, I recieved credit for that course. As far as the other two academic courses, my advisor had to acertain whether or not I had the requisite knowledge to recieve credit for those courses. Most colleges will give a short written test, or an oral exam, and some will use your certificate as proof enough (it can vary at one college from one person to another, so never take one person's answer. Ask Everyone there!!!).

Sometimes having alot of flying done before you start school can come back to bite you in the A*s!! I'll use myself as an example again. After going to school in North Carolina, I transfered to a 4-year University here in MIddle Tennessee (can you guess which school???
laugh.gif
). When I decided that I wanted to be a Pro-Pilot major, I was told, "No, you have too much flying experience". Hmmm...so strange. Oh, well, I just changed my major to "Aerospace - Flight Scheduling & Dispatch". Now I'll just have my Dispatcher cert. after I graduate.

The most important thing that you can do is get the catalogs at the schools that you are considering and find out what they say. I was all pumped up to go to University Of North Dakota for a while, until I found out that they would give me credit for my Private Cert ONLY after taking their "Private Pilot Checkride Prep Lab", which is about 12 hours of flight time in their very nice, very new, very expensive aircraft. Same with my instrument, commercial, etc. READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!!

First off thanks for all the information the seems pretty Informative. Second I am already in College and studying business. Now I know from this
..|..
..|..
..|..
\.|./
..\/..
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on the program. Usually only if you're going into an aviation degree program. Example - you probably won't get credit for them in a business degree program but you might in an aviation technology program.

When I went to Purdue in their aviation program I was given credit for 6 hours worth of classes because I already had my private license. Essentially I tested out of Private Pilot ground lectures and Private Pilot flight class. Flying lessons alone won't get you anything but having your license before you go into a collegiate aviation program probably will.

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

That it would not help me get credit since I am in a business Degree. But what about GE? Like in high school. There were 2 catagories for Credit. 1st was you need to finish a certain amount of credits in a specified feild of education to graduate. 2nd was you have electives. Which allows you to pick your classes that you take. (i think It was like 50 or something). Now I was wandering if I can do ground school and have that maybe replace some of the needed credits in GE? EX: Aerodynamics replaced by PPL Ground school?
i did this with language. Since English is my 2nd language My councelor said I dont have to finish any Foreign Language classes. All I have to do is go the UNVIRSITY I want to go to and test out of it.

No, your gened electives fall into different catagories like humanities, or social science, and flying does not meet those requirements.

Yes. Each rating at my college is on average 6-7 credits. 3 credits for the rating, 3-4 for the written. As of right now I have 18 credits from flight training. A four year degree will have up to 50 credits from flight training and ground school.

The final answer is it depends on the school!!! If your school has aviation classes, you have already done then outside of school, AND they will credit you with it, then YES you can use it. Outside of that, nope.

Ian, I prefer to be a little more optimistic, so I would re-word that as, "
The final answer depends on the school. If you're not in an aerospace program, or you're not interested in an aviation degree, then NO, you can't use them. Outside of that, Yep!"

laugh.gif

(I just like to keep everybody smiling...nothing is that serious!!!)

For the record that is my reply; I was at Iain's house. Iain generally is very positive!

However if you count the negatives used in your sentence (3), you have many more than I (1)!
tongue.gif

Back