Is it OK to take pre workout supplements?

Depends entirely on how much, how often, and the type and intensity of exercise. If you do too much of anything...

Elite athletes do caffeine. Some even had "bad" diets. But if you look at the most successful athletes who are competing solo for endurance, strength or both, those who are consistent and reasonable in their approach tend to fare better over time. Those who over do anything, workouts, diet, supplements, tend to limit themselves.

There is no shortcut for anything in working out. You get back, what you put in. You can't magically grow muscle without convincing the body to do it. The same goes for burning fat. You could get lipo, but that's so 80's!! All these formulas and powders are great to try, but if they speed up the process, there is a cost somewhere. It just may not be apparent at first glance. As for the products that boost you or help you recover, if they increase performance or decrease the need for rest, it'll cost ya! Try to determine what that cost is. You may have to keep notes on your performance over time to see it. If you're lucky and careful, you might benefit for short periods of time if your body doesn't mind the change in diet or routine. What I've found interesting in running is that sometimes feeling a little lethargic after rest can be combatted by running a little faster than normal for a short period of time. It gives me the same benefit of a nutritional booster.

Depends entirely on how much, how often, and the type and intensity of exercise. If you do too much of anything...

Elite athletes do caffeine. Some even had "bad" diets. But if you look at the most successful athletes who are competing solo for endurance, strength or both, those who are consistent and reasonable in their approach tend to fare better over time. Those who over do anything, workouts, diet, supplements, tend to limit themselves.

There is no shortcut for anything in working out. You get back, what you put in. You can't magically grow muscle without convincing the body to do it. The same goes for burning fat. You could get lipo, but that's so 80's!! All these formulas and powders are great to try, but if they speed up the process, there is a cost somewhere. It just may not be apparent at first glance. As for the products that boost you or help you recover, if they increase performance or decrease the need for rest, it'll cost ya! Try to determine what that cost is. You may have to keep notes on your performance over time to see it. If you're lucky and careful, you might benefit for short periods of time if your body doesn't mind the change in diet or routine. What I've found interesting in running is that sometimes feeling a little lethargic after rest can be combatted by running a little faster than normal for a short period of time. It gives me the same benefit of a nutritional booster.

This, this times a million(s).

Have a realistic conversation with yourself about what your goals are. If you want to compete on any kind of high level stage, be prepared to make the sacrifice it will take to get there (a little boosting). If you just want to be healthy, put down muscle and fitness, turn off the crossfit games, and take back the protein powder and OMGZtheLOLZsupergainer10000 preworkout stuff.

You shouldn't have any problems taking any drug tests. A few years ago I took a flying class 1 (military flight physical) and I was all supped up on pro hormones, no xplode and all sorts of whey and caseins. I passed without problem.

I agree supps are mostly overrated. Except pro hormones. I was eating clean and lifting hard and was a muscular 185. Started pro hormones and put on 20# of lean muscle without changing a thing in 2 months. I'm sure they're terrible for you long term though.

Pre-workout supplements are a bit overrated. Spending more than $24 on a '30 scoops per container' full of caffeine is absurd.

Here is what you should do for the savings and will give you the same effects as pre-workout supplements....

Go to Wal-Mart and purchase those 'Great Value' caffeine packets. You add them to water and gives flavors of peach, strawberry, grape, pomegranate, ect ect. Gives you the same euphoric approach without the added ingredients. They cost, I think, $2 for a batch of ten packets (probably cheaper). There you go, you have been given significant data to save money, less unknown ingredients, and receive the same effects as pre-workout supplements without the added ingredients.

P.S. I remember telling this to a few of my friends who workout with pre-workout supplements... Their reaction... "You are cheap."
At least I am not ingesting unknown ingredients. (And I save for the extra calories I need for my diet. The extra steak(s) and vegetables are nice to obtain.)

Pre-workout supplements are a bit overrated. Spending more than $24 on a '30 scoops per container' full of caffeine is absurd.

Here is what you should do for the savings and will give you the same effects as pre-workout supplements....

Go to Wal-Mart and purchase those 'Great Value' caffeine packets. You add them to water and gives flavors of peach, strawberry, grape, pomegranate, ect ect. Gives you the same euphoric approach without the added ingredients. They cost, I think, $2 for a batch of ten packets (probably cheaper). There you go, you have been given significant data to save money, less unknown ingredients, and receive the same effects as pre-workout supplements without the added ingredients.

P.S. I remember telling this to a few of my friends who workout with pre-workout supplements... Their reaction... "You are cheap."
At least I am not ingesting unknown ingredients. (And I save for the extra calories I need for my diet. The extra steak(s) and vegetables are nice to obtain.)
Please be careful doing this. I know a kid who died using powered caffeine. They are trying to outlaw powered caffeine supplements due to the increasing number of deaths from people using too much

Please be careful doing this. I know a kid who died using powered caffeine. They are trying to outlaw powered caffeine supplements due to the increasing number of deaths from people using too much

Agreed. I understand your input. Anything you ingest can have advantages and disadvantages for anyone. I consider 'pre-workout' supplements a much greater harm than the Wal-Mart caffeine packets. Both consist of caffeine, but pre-workout supplements contain much more ingredients. The caffeine packets are just a substandard to coffee. Caffeine is a stimulant and affects everyone differently.
I could not find a source on your statement pertaining to the outlawing of caffeine packets. I did however find many sources of outlawing caffeine drinks such as Monster and Four Loco. I also found sources of outlawing caffeine pills. I think the mixing of anything with sugar and caffeine brings about problems for all.

I take C4 preworkout, but I cycle it one month one month off. Post workout I use Gold Edition Whey Protein, and sometimes I will switch it out with Power Anabolic 60 when I run out. I've been tested before and had no problems. If you buy your products through GNC it should not be an issue. Preworkout isn't for everybody, but it certainly has helped me on days in the gym when I needed that extra punch to get a new PR or something. As long as you don't exceed 3 scoops a day, you will be fine.

I got tired of preworkout formulas being so vague about their "proprietary blend" concoctions and never really knowing what I'm putting in my body, so I came up with my own preworkout mix. I ordered most of it online through Amazon and the Vitamin Shoppe.

After doing some research, here's what I came up with:

Arginine AKG (nitric oxide precursor)
Beta Alinine (the stuff that makes your skin feel tingly)
Glutamine
BCAAs (2:1:1 ratio)
caffeine

Postworkout I take a scoop of whey protein, and if I'm doing a heavier series of workouts I'll add another serving of glutamine and BCAAs.

I got tired of preworkout formulas being so vague about their "proprietary blend" concoctions and never really knowing what I'm putting in my body, so I came up with my own preworkout mix. I ordered most of it online through Amazon and the Vitamin Shoppe.

After doing some research, here's what I came up with:

Arginine AKG (nitric oxide precursor)
Beta Alinine (the stuff that makes your skin feel tingly)
Glutamine
BCAAs (2:1:1 ratio)
caffeine

Postworkout I take a scoop of whey protein, and if I'm doing a heavier series of workouts I'll add another serving of glutamine and BCAAs.
Do yourself a favor and read up on cancer and BCAA's. Specifically leucine. Essentially it's crack for tumors.

Do yourself a favor and read up on cancer and BCAA's. Specifically leucine. Essentially it's crack for tumors.
Can you post some links. I have done research on this in the past and didn't find the link your suggesting. The only studies I saw showed that in pancreatic cancer BCAA levels would spike 1-10 years before diagnosis but they didn't contribute the BCAA as a cause just a by product of the failing pancreas. In fact BCAAs are used during cancer treatment to help appetite in cancer patients. I don't feel they would give cancer patients BCAAs if they were making the cancer worse.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.dev/files/docs/ODAPC EmployeeHandbook En.pdf

Page 3 tells you exactly what you're being screened for:
Page 8 tells you what happens if there's a positive result.
This will really clear up the "I heard, that this one time..."

And here is a good read on why you shouldn't worry about cold medicine or OTC work out crack drinks giving you a false positive:
2.3: Gas Chromatography: Defined by Thein and Landry:

Gas chromatography uses a separation technique to divide the urine extracts into the component parts. An inert gas carries the urine through chromatographic columns, and the samples are separated by their boiling temperature and by their affinity for the column. Compounds are identified by separation time, called retention time. The retention time is unique and reproducible for each drug in a given chromatographic column.

2.6 Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectrometry: Defined by Thein and Landry:

The most precise procedure for detection of banned substances is a combination of GC and MS. Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry is a two-step process, where GC separates the sample into its constituent parts, while MS provides the exact molecular identification of the compounds. Compounds are separated by GC and are then introduced, one at a time, into a mass spectrometer. As the sample constituents enter the MS, they are bombarded by electrons, which cause the compound to break up into molecular fragments. The fragmentation pattern is reproducible and characteristic, and is considered the "molecular-fingerprint" of a specific compound. Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry is considered to be the most definitive method for confirming the presence of a drug in the urine and is approximately 100 to 1,000 times more sensitive than TLC. Selective ion monitoring has been used to improve the GC/MS results. This procedure is the most costly, averaging approximately $200 per sample to test.The GC/MS is typically used to confirm "positive" EMIT test results. GC/MS will indicate precisely what chemical is present. This is necessary because the EMIT will only indicate whether something similar to what's being tested was found. The GC/MS is difficult and more costly, which is why the EMIT is given first. (Hewlett Packard produces the GC/MS equipment, including computer, for about $50-75k depending on options.) Abstinence and substitution are the only ways to defeat the GC/MS test. GC/MS is very precise when done right. However, it's still subject to human error. For example, if the equipment isn't cleaned well, the previous test sample could get mixed with the next sample. According to Dr. Edward Cone, the GC/MS is 99 percent accurate; not very accurate on a large scale when you realize that 10 thousand out of every million will get false results

At the end of the day, caffeine is a drug. Just do your search, research, experiment, then proceed with what you've learned about what pre-workout supplement to use. 5-Hour Energy is a nice supplement, but a little over my pay scale. Caffeine capsule/packets for me. Use rest of the money for needed calories.

inb4 someone overthinking my post.

I took ripped fuel for energy once as an experiment before a boxing training session. Lol. I was exhausetd so I took it before I left. I was stuck in traffic when it kicked in. It was probably the closest thing to steroid rage Ive ever experienced. When I got back home, I flushed that s**t down the toilet. Only real food ever since.

Back