Is a GPS Users Guide required to be on board?

GreenDayPilot

From CFI to CFI... I know I need this G1000 supplement on board.. I just don't know WHY it's required. That is to say, is there a reg that requires it? Is an IFR thing? Who is telling you that it's required?

I can't seem to find the answer on Google or on the FAR/AIM... so thanks a million in advance...

I know in the C-172/C-182 it is a required item in the equipment list so the manufacturer is telling you it's required. I have only flown the G1000 in 172's/182's so I'm not sure if that's the case with all set ups.

Cool.. thanks a lot.. yeah, I figured it wasn't a reg, per se... but part of the equipment list/a supplement required... Think I got it all figured out.. Thanks, guys..

I'm not sure about the G1000, but if you look at the AFM supplement for the 430 (which itself must be present) it in turn says that the 430 Pilots Guide mbust be on board the aircraft and accessible to the pilot. So, look at the AFM supplement, it might call out required docs.

Every light plane that I've flown thus far has required that the model-specific GPS manual be on board. If you look at part 91.9, it talks about manual material:

§91.9 Civil aircraft flight manual, marking, and placard requirements.

(b) No person may operate a U.S.-registered civil aircraft—

(1) For which an Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual is required by §21.5 of this chapter unless there is available in the aircraft a current, approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual or the manual provided for in §121.141(b); and

(2) For which an Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual is not required by §21.5 of this chapter, unless there is available in the aircraft a current approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual, approved manual material, markings, and placards, or any combination thereof.

One could easily make the case that the GPS manual falls under approved manual material given that it is highly relevant to operating an airplane under specific operations requiring GPS navigation. Autopilot manuals should also be kept on board.

As far as Garmin goes, its instructions in regards to carrying GPS manuals on board outright state that they must be on board at all times. Look at what Garmin has to say about the GNS 500 manuals for example's sake.

This document must be carried in the aircraft at all times. It describes the operating procedures for the Garmin GPS 500 navigation system when it has been installed in accordance with Garmin Installation Manual 190-00181-02 Rev.___ (Rev. K or later appropriate revision) and FAA Form 337 dated _______________.

For aircraft with a FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual, this document serves as the FAA Approved Flight Manual Supplement for the Garmin GPS 500. For aircraft that do not have an approved flight manual, this document serves as the FAA Approved Supplemental Flight Manual for the Garmin GPS 500.

The Information contained herein supplements or supersedes the basic Airplane Flight Manual only in those areas listed herein. For limitations, procedures, and performance information not contained in this document, consult the basic Airplane Flight Manual.

The Garmin GPS 500Pilot's Guide, P/N 190-00181-60 Rev. B, or later appropriate revision must be immediately available to the flight crew whenever navigation is predicated on the use of the system. In addition to the Pilot’s Guide, the 400/500 Series Garmin Optional Displays Pilot’s Guide Addendum P/N 190-00140-13 Rev B, or later appropriate revision also must be immediately available to the flight crew if lightning detection, Terrain Awareness and Warning System (TAWS), or Traffic Information Service (TIS) are interfaced to the system

I believe you must have the quick reference manual on broad.
From CFI to CFI... I know I need this G1000 supplement on board.. I just don't know WHY it's required. That is to say, is there a reg that requires it? Is an IFR thing? Who is telling you that it's required?

I can't seem to find the answer on Google or on the FAR/AIM... so thanks a million in advance...

Every light plane that I've flown thus far has required that the model-specific GPS manual be on board. If you look at part 91.9, it talks about manual material:

One could easily make the case that the GPS manual falls under approved manual material given that it is highly relevant to operating an airplane under specific operations requiring GPS navigation. Autopilot manuals should also be kept on board.

As far as Garmin goes, its instructions in regards to carrying GPS manuals on board outright state that they must be on board at all times. Look at what Garmin has to say about the GNS 500 manuals for example's sake.

I was wondering the same thing. Makes sense for manufacture to require it. Must be for liability purposes. Our citizens have gone Donkey Kong with lawsuits against corporations and the gov't.

Last edited:

Because it has become part of the airplane, and therefore, part of the POH.

If you look in general limitations section 2, you will find that the guide is required to be available to the crew, at least in g1000 aircraft.

That's not actually the case or it would be inserted in section 9 (supplement.)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
It is a supplement as it is now installed in the A/C. Whatever the technicalities of the issue, the end result is You must have it onboard.

The G1000 Caravan EX AFM requires the supplement be carried in the aircraft.

Back