Irate Passenger

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
On arrival, the flight attendant calls and says she's got a passenger situation.

A passenger in the coach cabin, in tears, tells the flight attendant that a passenger is punching the back of the seat saying "b*tch...b*tch...b*tch..." and seems belligerant. (sp?)

The flight attendant moves the 'victim' to first class and the passenger in the cabin instantly cools down. Also, since it's the last leg of the trip and the situation is 'resolved' somehow, she wants to 'call off' the request for security personnel to avoid paperwork and a delay in going off duty.

You're the captain, what is your decision?

Nope, dont let her call off the dogs. A passenger like THAT, needs to be taught a lesson about how to conduct onesself in a public environment. So it may take a few more minutes to get off duty, alright, well it may keep that punk from harassing passengers in the future. If I was Captain, it would be "good deed for the day" time.

Incidents of passenger aggression need to be dealt with with by the authorities, no matter how 'inconvienient' it may be. Security needs to be called, and this guy needs to be sat down and given what we used to call a "come to Jesus" talk. Then charges need to be filed. There's to many times when things like this aren't reported.

The authorities must be involved in dealing with a pssenger like this. This sort of harsh treatment will send a message to people like this that a belligerent attitude will not be tolerated aboard an aircraft. To let the passenger go, might cause him to think that that sort of behavior is ok in the future.

ditto to everyone else. It needs to be dealt with. If it is allowed to go unpunished, it will seem "ok" for it to happen again. But I could see that if a crew has had a "long" day (delays, turbulence, union issues, etc...) they might turn the other way. THey want to get to the hotel and get some sleep before that 8am turn. I would be willing to bet that there is something in the procedures manual that would address this issue. Can security be called off?

Gotta take care of it. SOP is SOP, and there is SOP on everything. If you don't follow it, it could be your job. More than that, the rules were written for a reason and should be followed as such.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Same as everyone else...Throw him off, contact authorities and hopefully he will be taught a lesson. Late in the day, ready to get home you may be eager to get home, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Inconvenient to deal with, but how would you like to read in the paper tomorrow or next week that same passenger took out his wife or his whole family or someone else while having a fit? This kind of behavior doesnt occur by itself, singularly, and is likely to occur again and again, escalating until the source of agression is dealt with and put to a stop.

On the one hand its the flight attendant that actually witnessed the incident, and it seems that if she dosn't feel that security needs to be involved, maybe they don't. After all, its her job to take care of these types of situations and she did so without even having to get the captain involved, so take the issue further and get security involved?

On the other hand, it just dosn't seem right that this individual would just get away with this kind of behavior. I'd think about how I'd feel if I was the "victim" and I think I'd be upset if the airline did nothing. Keeping in mind that it is a buisness and we want to continue satisfying our customers, it would be very unprofessional to allow this kind of behavior and take no recourse. Not to mention that other passengers would have seen the incident and taken notice that such behavior is tollerated on the airline. It won't look good at all.

I think the fate of this passenger should be left to the decission of security personnel. I'd stick with the plan and have them meet the passenger at the gate.

Would someboy PLEASE answer Shooter's question!!!
grin.gif

Er...umm.... Follow procedure. There will be no calling off of the dogs.

I'm just a Piper Cherokee driver but....

Lol.... As the captain I'd apoligize to the passenger and offer to take her to dinner :)

Just kidding.. actually as stated before SOP is SOP... and giving the current state of the industry all the little things count in the eyes of the passengers in terms of service levels . Get security to take care of the unruly passenger and take the extra time to ensure the "victim" is handled appropriately.

You know, if the airlines become known for NOT dealing with this stuff, people are gonna figure out how to get their girlfriend up into first class.

Just have her sit in the row ahead of you, and bang on her seat.
After she's in first class, just apologize to the crew.
blush.gif

Bam! Just saved a grand on a first class ticket.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You know, if the airlines become known for NOT dealing with this stuff, people are gonna figure out how to get their girlfriend up into first class.

Just have her sit in the row ahead of you, and bang on her seat.
After she's in first class, just apologize to the crew.
blush.gif

Bam! Just saved a grand on a first class ticket.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

While you sit alone in coach and your girl gets to be pampered for 8 hours, and you get to spend your first few hours at your destination in a holding cell? ~_^

[ QUOTE ]
While you sit alone in coach and your girl gets to be pampered for 8 hours, and you get to spend your first few hours at your destination in a holding cell? ~_^

[/ QUOTE ]

*makes the whip sound*
smile.gif

Back