Irate Passenger/Alky Hall.

FYI:
For those of you that are awaiting an interview, that scenario has come up in the oral with more than three airlines. The response that I gave to Doug's scenario is the correct response according to some of the guy's that recieved the question. At least that is what I have been told.

Doug is right. It all comes down to company procedure and that is what they like to hear...ILS

I'd kick the guy off the flight. May seem like harsh punishment, but 50 years ago mentioning the word "bomb" on an aircraft would have been considered harmless. However, times changed and for some time that has been a big no no that could potentially land you in prison. Unfortunetly due to the actions of a few pilots, making such tasteless comments that bring the pilot's sobriety into question are considered almost as bad. We live in different times....if some passengers can't grasp that then they pay the price!

[ QUOTE ]
I'd kick the guy off the flight. May seem like harsh punishment, but 50 years ago mentioning the word "bomb" on an aircraft would have been considered harmless. However, times changed and for some time that has been a big no no that could potentially land you in prison. Unfortunetly due to the actions of a few pilots, making such tasteless comments that bring the pilot's sobriety into question are considered almost as bad. We live in different times....if some passengers can't grasp that then they pay the price!

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you're gonna be the Stalin of the skies ruling the plane with that ironfist of yours
tongue.gif

Something similar happened on a friend of ours flight. They were inflight, about an hour out of ATL and some a*shole up in first class decides to start mouthing off, saying that the pilots were drunk, the flight attendants were drunk, he'd seen it happen (the crew drinking) and all sorts of stupid stuff. So our buddy (the F/O) and his CA decide to call for a 'team' to meet the airplane upon arrival at the gate. The chief pilot, a company medical representative with a breathalizer, and two or three cops meet the flight. The flight attendants did assure everyone that no, none of the crew had been drinking, and all the passengers could see and smell the F/As, so they knew everything really was fine. But the crew made the offending jerk stay on board the aircraft after all the other passengers left and watch as each and every crewmember blew a 0.0. He tried to backtrack and make 'good', but they made this guy stay through it all! He ended up missing his connecting flight, and I don't think he'll ever mouth off like that again.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you're gonna be the Stalin of the skies ruling the plane with that ironfist of yours
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could have such a reputation! Unfortunetly I'm really too nice too people. That reply was a hard ass late night reply. In real life I probably wouldn't say much and maybe give the guy an extra bowl of warm nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
Me? I'd throw the guy off the plane right then and there, call the cops and let them deal with him. That's interfering with the crew as far as I'm concerned. Behavior like that is not needed.

After that, check the SOP to see if there is something you offically need to do if something like this happens. After that I'd call the company and ask them what they want done, be it you given a breathalizer or taken off the flight or what.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn John.......I was thinking the same way!

honestly if the guy was making a fuss before he even go on the airplane, the gate agent should have never let him board. The problem today is everyone is trying to put the problems off on other people. This passenger was obvoiulsy not happy from the beginning and instead of letting him get on the airplane and cause a scene the gate agent should have made sure the problem was totally resolved by the time he got on the airplane.

[ QUOTE ]
honestly if the guy was making a fuss before he even go on the airplane, the gate agent should have never let him board. The problem today is everyone is trying to put the problems off on other people. This passenger was obvoiulsy not happy from the beginning and instead of letting him get on the airplane and cause a scene the gate agent should have made sure the problem was totally resolved by the time he got on the airplane.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's another issue altogether.

A lot of gate agents will board problem passengers to get them out of their hair, and then get all verklempt when you call them back to the jetway to remove them.

But they're pressured to keep up on-time performance, whereas we're pressured to ensure the safety of the crew and passengers so there's a little different motivation.

I once had a station (GRR) allow a pax onboard my ac who was so drunk he literally fell onto the airplane. One step in the door, and he trips and falls in the aisle, he tries to get up, fails to accomplish this, falls again, all the while doing the 'drunk talk' like "I'm alright, I don't need any help." You could smell the booze on this guy so bad, it was awful. The agent came down and saw the end of this spectacle, and I just looked at her and said (quietly so no pax heard me) "you're not serious, you expect me to take this drunkard? I don't think so!" She tried to cajole me into letting him stay on, but the captain and I said "no way". So she and the other agent had to take him off, and he wasn't too happy about it. Oh well, he shouldn't have gotten wasted at the airport bar, and the agents shouldn't try to pass them off onto us!

Most of the 'bad passenger' situations usually involve alcohol or drugs. Sometimes even both!

They smoke all they want on my airplane.

Of course, I work for a tobacco company ...

FL270

He's off, no discussions, nada.

If any other passengers voice any concern about the condition of the crew then get with company chief pilot and get approval to continue. Let the concerned pax take a later flight. Make sure the passengers who heard the idiot see you and how you conduct yourself.

Cancelling the flight, getting tested, and screwing up everyone's travel plans for one moron is the last option, not the first.
bandit.gif

I would say, " no, we are going to be one passenger short." The irate passenger would then be led off the plane and the door shut. Problem solved.

Been said before, I'll say it again..

He's off the flight, and there will be a reassuring PA announcement from the crew (FO or captain) appologizing for the man being allowed to board the flight.

Simple as that
smile.gif

Little off topic but my company had an incident with TSA and a FA. The TSA guys were giving her a hard time about something in her luggage. When she objected and asked for a supervisor they immediately accused of being drunk. This led the Supervisor taking her down for testing and delaying the flight 2+ hours and guess what. She blew a 0.0. Of course, to our knowledge, nothing was done to the TSA morons.

Who cares? You would fly better drunk then the guy would if he was sober /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back