IR Check ride

will_fly_for_bandwith

Completed the check ride last Thursday. This was my second shot.

I started the check ride back in September. The oral was about 1.5. Discussion on IFR flight planning (123), standard alternate mins for precision and non precision. Reviewed an example approach plate. He provided a scenario with example weather and visibility. If I recall it was ILS to RW 27, winds 090@20 , 700 OVC 1 mile... WWYD for the approach. Equipment check's for IFR (30 day vor check, static system e.t.c) and IFR currency requirements. The oral was conversational in nature so I am sure that there were other questions..
Flight portion...
Took off from KPIE and went west bound under the class B. At about 700 he took the controls and I went under the hood. Once settled he provided headings and alts (once clear of the class B) to position the aircraft for unusual attitudes. no surprises here, climbing to the left then descending to the left. With that done he said let's do the ILS at Brooksville. Take us to BROAD. I engaged the autopilot on the current heading and pulled out the plate for Brooksville ILS 09. I first attempted to use the gps by inputting direct BROAD but I did not enter it correctly (BROAD v BROADi I think) therefore it could not be found. I took a sec then loaded the ILD 09 and used the direct button to the intersection on the flight plan (KLN 94B).
Turned to a heading to go direct BORAD and briefed the approach with the AP flying. Once completed and all the instruments set up I contacted Tampa and requested the approach. Flew the approach down to 300 feet. The first half was not the best approach that I ever flew, max localizer deflection was 1/2 scale at one point. The last 1/2 was pretty good, needles centered and stable.
Went missed at 300 and executed a non standard missed approach procedure as requested by the examiner. He wanted a climb ahead to 700 then climb maintain 3000 direct to LAFAL and hold (we requested this on our initial contact with Tampa and it was approved..this was to get us back to PIE for the other approaches).
Executed the hold at LAFAL using the waypoint LAFAL in the GPS without issue. And this is where it all stated to go wrong....
He wanted us to do the full approach GPS 35R into PIE to include the proc turn. I loaded the approach and requested it from Tampa. We where cleared direct to LAFAL. I failed to take the GPS out of OBS Mode and forgot to twist the OSB to match the brg. This caused the map to be oriented incorrectly.. this confused me to no end. I tried to resolve the issue by ROXNI (the IAF) but could not see why it was wrong. Crossing ROXNI it did not provide guidance to the next waypoint and did not present the hold (hold in leu of procedure turn). I let me dig a hole for a few more mins then told me to take off the hood. He showed what had gone wrong and instructed me to return to PIE.
Landed and taxied in. He said that I need to go back and study the gps some more and then retest. Total was about 2.0 hobbs

Fast forward 3 months and two trips to Afghanistan !!.

Retested Thursday. Took off executed a perfect GPS approach. He asked a bunch of questions about what we had done (my instructor and I) since the last test and how to know that the approach is good (RAIM e.t.c). Did some more emergency procedures and that was that.. 0.9 total

There may have been more but that is about it.
I stated Comm. on Sunday !!!!!

Congrats man! KPIE is a great airport! I'll look forward to cruising the Victor airways with you in sunny Florida!

Back