ipad mini 4 vs iPhone Xr

ozone

I'm in need of an upgrade to run my fltplan go app. My old Mini v2 (with cellular) isn't keeping up with the updates and the new mini 4 looks interesting.

However, I took a look at the iPhone Xr and the 6.1" diagonal screen seems to be within striking distance of the 7.9 inch mini screen for most aspects of using an EFB like fltplan go. Especially since the mini screen has the top and bottom cut-off whereas the iPhone Xr has pixels from edge to edge.

Plus, with trade-in, I could pick up a 128gb iPhone for $600 vs the mini with cellular (and GPS) is around $850 for the same memory.

Has anyone else come across this dilemma and how did you make your decision?
I should say that the device needs to fit in a tight glider cockpit, so please don't try to sell me on a regular sized ipad….it wont fit.

I have an Xr and it’s alright. I’m used to the IPad air for efb’s so I like bigger viewing surface.

The phone is just large enough as to needing two hands to zoom. Can’t seem to hold it with thumb/forefinger finagling in order to accomplish it.

Therefore, my personal vote is for an iPad mini.

I'm in need of an upgrade to run my fltplan go app. My old Mini v2 (with cellular) isn't keeping up with the updates and the new mini 4 looks interesting.
Do you mean the new Mini 5 due next month? "The new Mini 4" is four years old.

I would assume that's what he meant, but it's already out. I received mine this week. It is a HUGE performance upgrade from the Mini 2 I came from.
Yeah. Just waking up. Bad excuse but I'm sticking to it.

I have a Mini 4. It's performance is still excellent, but it is already planned for obsolescence- apparently it will not accept the next major iOS version (13).

I wondered what he meant. With a Mini 2, a 4 would still be a major boost, but it would not cost $850. More in the $300-400 range for a refurb 128 Gb cellular version.

Sorry, I did indeed mean the mini 5 and I mixed up the price stuff I was looking at. Regardless, if I am using either a phone or a mini as a backup device to all the electronica that's already in the club planes that I use, should i simply upgrade to the iphone Xr or get the mini 5?

Uses of my backup stuff so far:
1) situation awareness when towing gliders in a supercub near the edge of Class B space
2) AFD in fltplan go to look up new airports to which i am flying
3) glidecalc app for both glider range and engine-out range estimates
4) Fltplan go app with my flight plan on it, as a backup to the garmin pilot program already in the plane.
5) backup "AHRS"/instruments in case everything in the plane goes belly-up.

I have been using a suction RAM mount slightly above my head or off to the side in the windscreen/side window so that the screen is close to me and looks about as big as a mini on the yoke or on my lap.

I have an XR and I find the screen too small to use as an a primary EFB, but it does work well for a backup device.

I have a Mini 4. It's performance is still excellent, but it is already planned for obsolescence- apparently it will not accept the next major iOS version (13).
Well, damn! I'm still using the mini 2. Looks like I'll be iPad shopping in the near future.

Last edited:
Well, the phone is, uhm, a phone, so you can film your off-airport landings, call for help, and have them uploaded to youtube in minutes to start raking in the green.

Sorry, I did indeed mean the mini 5 and I mixed up the price stuff I was looking at. Regardless, if I am using either a phone or a mini as a backup device to all the electronica that's already in the club planes that I use, should i simply upgrade to the iphone Xr or get the mini 5?

Uses of my backup stuff so far:
1) situation awareness when towing gliders in a supercub near the edge of Class B space
2) AFD in fltplan go to look up new airports to which i am flying
3) glidecalc app for both glider range and engine-out range estimates
4) Fltplan go app with my flight plan on it, as a backup to the garmin pilot program already in the plane.
5) backup "AHRS"/instruments in case everything in the plane goes belly-up.

I have been using a suction RAM mount slightly above my head or off to the side in the windscreen/side window so that the screen is close to me and looks about as big as a mini on the yoke or on my lap.
I think you need to borrow one and see. Too big and too small are personal judgments and also related to age and eyesight (near vs far vision). I had, for example, been using a full size iPad and thought the Mini would be too small visually. I borrowed one from a friend, loaded up an EFB, and went for a flight. Ordered one the very next day.

I used a mini 4 when I was instructing. In my opinion, the perfect size for GA flying. I used my iPhone as a backup to my mini. But the functionality on the mini seemed just right. Charts were about the same size/scale as paper charts.

Unless you need a new phone, I would go for the iPad Mini. I bought the 64gb version with LTE, as I only keep 5-6 states loaded on ForeFlight and don't use my iPad to store anything else on. I believe someone said once that a fully loaded Foreflight with every VFR/IFR chart is still under 32gb, but during the monthly switchover when both old and new are available a 32gb would not be able to handle it. Good thing is the new Mini starts at 64gb.

Back