Involved in a Car Wreck; Career Implicatoins?

Alchemy

So I got hungry about 11:30 last night and went out foraging for some grub. Grabbed a burger, finished it in the restaurant's parking lot and headed home.

On way back, I approached a 4-way intersection. There were flashing yellow lights facing my direction, flashing reds for the intersecting street. I was going about 30-35 mph in the inside lane (4 lane street) when I saw a Taxi roll into the intersection from the other street. I applied maximum braking, but to no avail. As I realized a collision was imminent, I turned as much as I could to make it more of a "swipe" than a direct hit.

All in all, I ended up walking away and so did the cab driver. His door is smashed in, his airbags deployed (mine did not), my headlights are cracked, and my bumper and the metal panel on the front passenger side of my car are crumpled pretty good. The cab driver was issued two tickets, one for running a red light and the other for having an expired insurance card.

All I could think about the whole time is if any of this will go on my driving record or affect my insurance in any way. In my five years of so of driving, I've never had any kind of wreck. I don't think it can be held against me since I really could not do anything to prevent the accident, but I was curious if anyone had any tips, advice, or similair stories. I know traffic tickets, especially accidents do not look good on your records for flying jobs and for this reason I'm very conerned about the implications of this accident.

Thanks for reading.

Hey, Life is life. **** happens.

If the issue comes up, explain what happened and you were not at fault (and infact the other driver was cited because of it)... I don't know about insurance, but your career should be okay.. It will show up on the driving record check, again just explain things
wink.gif

Hope it works out, and glad you're okay!

I had something similar happen a few months back except I had a greenliight- the other guy had a solid red - and he blew thru it doing about 60 - he blew a .24 an hour after the accident at the hospital.

Anyway - it won't be a big deal as you described it. Now had you been cited for being drunk or something then it may have caused some problms but as it was should be no worries.

Jason

I agree...Sh*T happens...You weren't drunk or high...

If I were you I'd probably be worrying too, but that's cause we've all grown to become so paranoid that if we don't have X Y and Z that an employer will never touch us.

I had a speeding ticket a couple years ago (2 yrs.) and I remember thinking it was the end of the world, I might as well put the old E6-B away for good. Needless to say I'm still cranking out time-speed-distance calculations and hope to be doing so via a Flight Computer soon!
grin.gif

Well from what I can tell it wasn't your fault, so no it shouldn't be a problem.

But isn't flashing yellow sposed to mean 'give way' or 'yeild' as you guys call it? and flashing red like a 'stop' sign? Even if it wasn't your fault I think your still sposed to slow down for the reason you demonstrated. *shrugs*

I did once hear about a guy who was turned down an regional airline job because he had a DWI while driving a boat 9yrs before when he was 17. So you never know.

[ QUOTE ]
All in all, I ended up walking away and so did the cab driver. His door is smashed in, his airbags deployed (mine did not), my headlights are cracked, and my bumper and the metal panel on the front passenger side of my car are crumpled pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to piggyback on Doug's post, it shows how quickly things can happen that you are unprepared for... It sounds like if things had been a little differently, there could have been serious injuries (especially if airbags were deployed
shocked.gif
)...

[ QUOTE ]
The cab driver was issued two tickets, one for running a red light and the other for having an expired insurance card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like he is at fault.

[ QUOTE ]
All I could think about the whole time is if any of this will go on my driving record or affect my insurance in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't. Now, if you had caused it then maybe that is one thing, or if you claim a lot of accidents against your insurance your rates might go up.

[ QUOTE ]
In my five years of so of driving, I've never had any kind of wreck. I don't think it can be held against me since I really could not do anything to prevent the accident, but I was curious if anyone had any tips, advice, or similair stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I think you should be okay. If it wasn't your fault, the insurance company can't hold that against you. But, as for a similar story, I was single, under 25 and got a speeding ticket for going 10 over, and my insurance rates went up far more than those of my friend, who was also under 25 but married and had caused three accidents, two of which resulted in his cars being totaled... I guess as a single guy with a sports car I was still far more of a risk than a married guy who caused accidents! (But later, I felt much better when he wrecked yet ANOTHER car and his insurance company dropped him...)

Nah, don't worry about it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The cab driver was issued two tickets, one for running a red light and the other for having an expired insurance card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like he is at fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I bet the CABBIE gets to KEEP his career!!!

If the Cabbie was cited for the accident, it will not go on your driving record. Also, since it was his fault, it will not effect your insurance, his or the cab companies insurance will be effected. That is unless he doesn't have insurance. I think you mentioned an expired insurance card. If that's the case, some, not all, insurance companies do not raise your premiums on an accident caused by another without insurance. I guess it all depends on the damages. Plus, you can also sue for damages.

Crazy Austin drivers have no idea what the red light stands for!!!! I can't count the number of times I have seen people blasting though an intersection with their hair on fire, on a cell phone, and doing their make up or some dang thing at high speeds. They are all sooo important. Glad to hear that you are ok. The other folks are right, since you are not at fault and were not cited it should not be a problem.

Hi everyone,
I am a prospective student at Delta Connection Academy. Unfortunately I was in a car accident today and it was my fault. It was a reportable accident, and I believe I will be fined for failure to yeild. I know that the airlines look into you driving history and was wondering if I would still be hireable. I also had a three month suspension of liscense when I was 18 (7 years ago) for underage possession of alcohol. If anyone could provide some insight on this issue I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You!!

Thanks for all the helpful replies so far. After sleeping on everything it really didn't seem so bad this morning, the damage to my car was not as noticeable as it seemed last night. I even drove it out to the airport and went flying agin toady. Only bad thing besides the aesthetics is the A/C doesn't work and the car's thermometer is telling me it's -20 F outside.

Regarding flashing yellow lights, as far as I know in this country, they only mean "caution". I was, of course, looking both ways as I went through the intersection, but it's standard practice for the people with the yellow lights to have right of way over the guy with red lights. I believe I managed to slow from 30 mph to 10 mph or less when I hit him, otherwise my airbags would've deployed. There was just not enough time for me to slow down to a complete stop between the time I saw him enter the intersection and the time I hit his car. His airbags only deployed because after I hit him, it knocked him off the road and he hit a telephone pole head-on.

I honestly don't think he ever saw me until my license plate was 6" from his chest. He sat there kind of stunned for a few minutes after it happened, but he was okay medically.

The year before I got hired at Skyway, I totalled my car on 680 heading down to work in San Jose.

No problems.

[ QUOTE ]
Only bad thing besides the aesthetics is the A/C doesn't work and the car's thermometer is telling me it's -20 F outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW you have a temp guage on your car!?! High class!

Achemy no worries, man; I got in a bad accident (no injuries, but no car either after the fact) that supposedly was 'my' fault (or 60% me 40% her according to wonderful CA law)...

I know I have a point on my license. I don't know about you but at least for me by the time I get a job it'll really be a non-issue; I bet at the most it'll be a passing question (and a long shot at that).

[ QUOTE ]
I also had a three month suspension of liscense when I was 18 (7 years ago) for underage possession of alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude that sucks!!! My buddy got his license pulled a while ago (for an MIP); those San Diego laws are rough (as are Harrisburg apparently)... All I can say is we're all human... hey you can always be president if all else fails.

A car accident is not going to hinder your chances of becoming a pilot, much like driving with some booze in your car 7 years ago (I always used to drive around with a case of wine in the back of my mothers minivan. She would go to TJ's buy a case but would leave it in the car as it is too heavy for her to take upstairs. It would get forgotten about, and came on many trips with me, even a few to schools. Luckily I never got stopped by the police, or a school official [probably due to the fact I parked in the teachers parking lot 90% of the time]).

Thanks for the input. I can only hope that this will not ruin my chances of fullfilling my dream of becoming a professional pilot. The accident was at a backed up traffic light where a van stopped and left a space for me to get through. They waived my through, little did I know there was a second lane that was not blocked and I just got hit in the side. I'm a little sore, but at least I'm ok, along with the girl that hit me. As for the alcohol thing, it was me at a party, with alcohol there, and when they busted the party everyone got possession of alcohol. That requires a three-month mandatory suspension of liscense. Pennsylvania law is terrible when it comes to alcohol. It is all state controlled!! If anyone else can provide some input on what will happen to my chances of becoming a pilot for the majors, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

[ QUOTE ]
A car accident is not going to hinder your chances of becoming a pilot, much like driving with some booze in your car 7 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it comes back to that whole issue of "risk". If it starts to become a trend, it will be a flag. If you can avoid taking risks like this, then by all means, do so.

You go to a party where there are minors drinking. At that point, you are at risk, and you can do two things: 1) you can leave or 2) you can continue to take the risk and hope that the police don't raid the party. It's your career, it's your call. So, for example, that powderpuff football game they show on TV? When something like that happens, the cops are probably not going to be far behind; you probably want to start making your way to the exit. Likewise when the college students went nuts and starting setting things on fire up here after the Gophers won the NCAA hockey tournament, it would be time to leave the party...

As far as accidents that are your fault, I don't think one or two would be bad, but if you have three or four on your record, it would make me start to be concerned about your judgment for safety. After all, if you appear reckless while driving your car, why would I want to hire you to fly my aircraft with my passengers?

It all comes down to risk management, and that is what the airlines are going to look at. They are going to look at your past and use that to determine how much they can trust you with millions of dollars of equipment and hundreds of passengers' lives, and so when asking if it is bad, look at it from their perspective. Think about what you will say in case they ask you, "I noticed XYZ violation on your record. Why should we trust you with our aircraft, passengers, and business in light of the XYZ violation?"

[ QUOTE ]
A car accident is not going to hinder your chances of becoming a pilot, much like driving with some booze in your car 7 years ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Iain, I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, but...

Why dont you leave answers like that up to people who have filled out pilot employment applications and gone through interviews? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read here, I gather you fly for recreation. So tell me then, other than second-hand information, how do you so definitively know that having an accident or having an alcohol violation is not going to effect your career? Exactly, you don't. Some 16 year old kid probably read that as: "oh, its ok to keep driving like a moron after all...and I can STILL be a pilot, woo hoo!". Thats far from the truth.

I havent applied to any airlines yet, so I'm not an expert here either. But I can tell you, that every flight instructor position I've interviewed for, I've been required to produce my driving record, and subsequently had to explain the one violation on it. Thats for a CFI job, and one measly speeding ticket. No, having an accident may not affect your chances of getting hired, but you damn well better be able to explain it fully and clearly.

Again, not trying to sound like a jerk.....
smile.gif

I'm assuming then that I should move forward in my career choice to become an airline pilot and as long as nothing else major happens I should be ok? Also, how far back due they actually check your driving history?

Back