Intro to Aerobatics...

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
I did my spin endorsement for my CFI training in a friend's Super D... He also did an intro to aerobatics lesson for me. I had no idea it could be so physically exerting! .8 yesterday and 2.5 today and I'm spent! I've never had so much fun in an airplane though.

Anyone else on here do this stuff on the regular?

Yup. Flying inverted regularly. There is a coffee mug out there that says "Aerobatics, the most fun you can have with your pants on."

It's been said before, and ill say it again - good, proficient aerobatics will make you a better pilot. Turns will be cleaner, coordinated, smooth pitch inputs, comfort and not being panicked in unusual attitudes.... I am not talking about sloppy, "watch this" aerobatics.

Yup. Flying inverted regularly. There is a coffee mug out there that says "Aerobatics, the most fun you can have with your pants on."

It's been said before, and ill say it again - good, proficient aerobatics will make you a better pilot. Turns will be cleaner, coordinated, smooth pitch inputs, comfort and not being panicked in unusual attitudes.... I am not talking about sloppy, "watch this" aerobatics.

Agreed. Even though I haven't flown fixed-wing aerobatic maneuvers since Phase II of UPT (2010), it made a substantial difference in my overall aircraft control. Fixed-wing aerobatics are great training for helo pilots simply because of the sensitivity of helicopter controls. It also gives you the "seat of the pants" feel for maneuvers that need to be out of trim or uncomfortable feeling like short radius 360 approaches where you are flying the aircraft completely by feel, sound, and sight picture.

I'm very, very, very, eager to get into it as soon as I can afford it. Even in a 172, I do steep turns, stalls, and slow flight just about every other flight, I just love that stuff. One of these windy days, I'll get it to fly backwards.

I'm very, very, very, eager to get into it as soon as I can afford it. Even in a 172, I do steep turns, stalls, and slow flight just about every other flight, I just love that stuff. One of these windy days, I'll get it to fly backwards.

If the Citabria I rent had parachutes available (I think the owner decided he didn't want to buy them for his plane ... and two parachutes is a bit beyond my budget), I'd invite you to come have some fun. :>

-Fox

My flying club has really reasonable rates on the Citabrias, whats stopping me is justifying the tailwheel endorsement and all the money and time that would take while I'm still working on my Instrument-CFI. If a chance for a ride ever comes up tho, I'm all for it! :)

My flying club has really reasonable rates on the Citabrias, whats stopping me is justifying the tailwheel endorsement and all the money and time that would take while I'm still working on my Instrument-CFI. If a chance for a ride ever comes up tho, I'm all for it! :)

I forget... you're WVFC / SQL, right?

-Fox

chrisreedrules

I've been flying & teaching spin, emergency maneuver training, beginning & competition acro for the past 5 years or so. It's been a blast. I've had the chance to fly IAC contests, air shows, teach a few CFIs who now have their own version of the program, taught spin training clinics for other flight schools and done a lot of work with the NPS pilots for their recurrent training programs. The only problem is that it's REALLY addicting.... If you have the opportunity to get into tailwheel, ACRO, Spin training and teach it, DO IT!

I would love to and I feel comfortable enough with spins to teach them, power on/off etc (as long as the aircraft I was in could handle it)... Problem is I only have about 20 hours of tailwheel and I'm sure no one around here is going to let me go teach spins in their Citabria/Decathalon/what have you haha.

IMHO every pilot should do aerobatics at some point. For one thing, it is the only chance a lot of folks ever get to fly upside down and do dynamic stuff in an airplane. This forever cures the fear of unusual attitudes, and/or stalls/spins. Secondly, it's awesome fun and makes you a better pilot, like everyone else has said.

I would love to and I feel comfortable enough with spins to teach them, power on/off etc (as long as the aircraft I was in could handle it)....

Don't stop with the spin training until you feel comfortable. It won't take long.

Here are a few of books to reinforce what you learned or to help fill in some gaps. Every CFI should have these in their library:

Stalls Spins and Safety

Emergency Maneuver Training

The Light Airplane Pilot's Guide to Stall/Spin Awareness

Problem is I only have about 20 hours of tailwheel and I'm sure no one around here is going to let me go teach spins in their Citabria/Decathalon/what have you haha

Don't sell yourself short. Express some interest, make some friends and you never know what can happen!

Back