Intro Jobs

Windchill

I am currently a senior in college who is graduating with a degree in political science. I am not looking to do anything with this degree, however. I am currently taking flight lessons through a FBO and should have my private cert. by graduation in May. Anyhow, I am looking to pursue an aviation career through the military, although there may be a good year or two before I would leave for flight training (I am currently enlisted in the ANG and am told if offered a pilot slot I still may not leave for a year or two)--what types of intro jobs are available and recommended (i.e. crew scheduler or others, I don't know) for someone who will likely have time to kill and would like to get their foot in the door in the aviation community?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's assistance on this matter!

A great thing to do is spend some time at the local airport, the line boy, or general help positions, will help you get a good foot in the door and meeting others in aviation at all levels.

The first rung on the Newtowking ladder.

BTW.. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
who is graduating with a degree in political science. I am not looking to do anything with this degree

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE THAT LINE.. There just HAS to be a joke in it somewhare I just can;t find it now.

Will there be any chance of getting decent paying jobs? The problem is I'll be paying off a brand new car, car insurance, a student loan, flying, and trying to enjoy myself to an extent.

I wonder if hanging around the local FBO/airport will help me make ends meet. While I completely understand the importance of networking, one of my first priorities is keeping the creditors happy.

I guess decent paying kind of depends on your perspective. I would imagine the wages for introductory jobs in the aviation industry would appear decent to a subsitance farmer from Sub-Saharan Africa. But to support new cars, flying lessons, student loans, and fun? I would suggest knocking off a rich releative to help out.

Not trying to bring you down It just seemed kind of funny.
cool.gif

Knocking off a rich relative, I hadn't thought of that!! I'd always counted on finding a sugar mama to take care of me.
cool.gif
Course, that may be more of a viable/legal option than knocking off Uncle Sal.
grin.gif

HMMM suger mama.......now that's some good advice.
wink.gif

I will pass on another wise quote.

"It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation, simply start with a large one."

Windchill
If your are serious about flying and you don't have someone funding your venture, sell the new car. I know that's not what you want to hear but flying is a seriously expensive undertaking. If you have a new car you will have to get a job to pay for it and that will take your time and energy away from flying. If you hit the books hard right now it could still be 2 yrs. before you land your first aviation job, (other than CFI), and I guarentee you it won't be a good paying job.

Your military option is one I would vigourously pursue as it pays well while you are learning to fly. I would tell the unit to put you on a short fall list should an unexpected slot comes available. I would also see if there were any jobs available at your guard unit untill you get a flight slot, exspecially if its working on or near the type of airplane that you would be going to school for. Good Luck.

Where can we find a list of guard places in our state, to contact them and see if they have flight slots open and need pilots?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Where can we find a list of guard places in our state, to contact them and see if they have flight slots open and need pilots?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

gizbug
I can only speak about the ARMY GUARD, you would need to contact the State Army Aviaition Office who can put you in contact with an aviaiton recruiter. Each state is different in thier requirements, where I enlisted with the intent on going to flight school, the state had a requirement that one had to be in a unit for 3 years before going to flight school. This is because the state is paying for your school and they want to know what kind of person you are before the spend BIG money on you. The process of getting to flight school weeds out most if not all of the undesirables. Remeber the services are not looking for pilots they are looking for proffessional soldiers and airmen willing to defending our country and way of life, IF it happens that you are selected to Fly in that pursuit then you may get what you want. It's not about what you want but about the needs of the service. The process in the guard is a little more politcal than the active duty side, since the guard has "ownership" of the slots they are very selective on who gets them. I am convinced though that since I made it any one can make it. I would recommend that you consider the Air Guard if you want a civilian career in avition. Army pilots fly helicopters with a very few getting fixed wing transitions, and that process is even more selective than the initial one. Let me know if I can help any further. Good Luck

[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to
Baseops.net

At the top, click on Aviation Jobs. Baseops has a listing that includes a lot of hiring units. Some of the postings in the job section may appear old, but the unit may still be hiring, so give them a call.

Thanks for the advice. Don't believe I will have to sell the car. I submitted a UPT packet to my unit, interviewed, and received a slot.

Still may look into working as a Crew Scheduler or something to fill the time before I leave for training.

Back