interviews

saviboy

hi
when you are hired in an airline with several hubs(e.g.: ACA in boston , dulles, cincinati) , do you have a chance to choose where you could be based ?

At my current carrier, I have 3 choices. Detroit, Memphis, and Minneapolis. On the first day of class you place a standing bid. Mine was as follows:

1. Detroit
2. Memphis
3. Minneapolis

The bid was then awarded where there were vacancies and it went in senority order. I was the most Junior in my class so I got the last award. There were 0 DTW slots, 0 MSP Slots, and 10 MEM slots for F/O's. So my whole class was awarded MEM F/O.

Last month they issued a new Vacancy Notice showing 7 DTW F/O slots. My standing bid showed that DTW was my #1 choice so since my seniority allowed, I was awarded DTW for an October 1st vacancy.

Hope this helps.

--03M

It's all by seniority. If there are vacancies in the hubs they are awarded by seniority in class, usually by age.

[ QUOTE ]
At my current carrier, I have 3 choices. Detroit, Memphis, and Minneapolis. On the first day of class you place a standing bid. Mine was as follows:

1. Detroit
2. Memphis
3. Minneapolis

The bid was then awarded where there were vacancies and it went in senority order. I was the most Junior in my class so I got the last award. There were 0 DTW slots, 0 MSP Slots, and 10 MEM slots for F/O's. So my whole class was awarded MEM F/O.

Last month they issued a new Vacancy Notice showing 7 DTW F/O slots. My standing bid showed that DTW was my #1 choice so since my seniority allowed, I was awarded DTW for an October 1st vacancy.

Hope this helps.

--03M

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish they would call me, lol. I live 10 miles north of DTW, would love to take that FO slot!

Being pretty young here, couldn't the airline be sued for age discrimination here? I mean is it my fault the older guy decided to start his career late? I've been working just as hard to get to where he's at!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What carrier do you work for, if you don't mind me asking...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Being pretty young here, couldn't the airline be sued for age discrimination here? I mean is it my fault the older guy decided to start his career late? I've been working just as hard to get to where he's at!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not actual seniority by age; it's seniority by how long you have been employed by the company, and where you rank in that seniority.

Does anyone know how they assign seniority numbers in a specific class. Is it in the order they were hired, alphabetically, age, body odor, what? Don't some airlines use the first day of training as the "date of hire"?

Now, most are ranked by the last four digits of their social security number.

My class, however, was ranked by age.

I don't know of anyone who uses SSN anymore. Mesa used to - changed to age. SWA recently changed to age I believe also.

I can't believe that young punk made that remark about starting the career later. I'm sure he wants all the age 60 guys to retire and get out of his way, too.

I'm sure his tune will change when he nears 50
smile.gif

I must say I'm suprised that sorting by SSN was/is common practice. I figured it would be literal date of hire(final interview). Then again I'll bet 90-100% of you guys were notified of your hire days after your interview. So your first day of training is the date of hire that goes on the seniority list?

Well, when I was called for ground school at Skyway and at Delta, I had no idea where I fit in class or whatever. It was more or less "show up on March 4th (skyway) / January 15th (delta)"

It really depends on the airline in terms of the specific seniority date.

I think most airlines ranked new hire ground schools according to age, but then the whole "age discrimination thing" popped up and they started basing it on something relatively random like your last four SSN digits.

There really haven't been a lot of new hire pilots in the past few years so it's rather hard to see where the industry is shifting other than a few carriers.

Hey Doug... I guess you were the "youngin".... your seniority number appeared the be the lowest of your hire date on the seniority list you posted a while back : )

Did you take any flak for that?

Being the "baby" of the class? Nah, not really, I had to wear the traditional "beanie" cap with the propeller and wear a pacifier around my neck for a week before I gave it to the next class.

Some of the guys were a little brutal, but when you told them that you'd retire as the #3 pilot on a seniority list of 10,000 pilots, it went from "tease" to "awe".

I detect sarcasm there Doug. Do you have pictures of you in this so called "beanie cap" or is this another one of your "crazy" stories like the one where you were an MD-88 F/O for Delta

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

(if the 9 winks didn't say it, let me: Just Kidding!)

Oh yeah, there was a beanie cap and pacifier for the "Junior man" in class and a cane with a bell on it for the "Old man" in class.

I'm serious as herpes!

Hmm you got the beanie and the old guy got a bell? Sounds like you got the short end of the stick...or is it cane?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm serious as herpes!

[/ QUOTE ]

With Valtrex , apparently herpes isn't that serious anymore.

OK I'm done now with the bad jokes. Must...get...clean...stench of jokes still on me!
grin.gif

However the "old man" of the class will probably be dead by the time I'm nearing retirement! Ha! how's that for poetic justice?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What carrier do you work for, if you don't mind me asking...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pinnacle

Hey N9103M, I love your smilly faces w/whip! That just cracks me up!!!

Where'd you grab those from?

So Doug, can you dig up any prop-beanie photos? Did your head ever experience p-factor?
grin.gif

Back