Interview help & tips for a HS kid

ahmed

Hi,

For the past two weeks I worked on an essay. This essay was about why I am a great candidate for a service/learning abroad program over the summer. It is a school-sponsored program and I would be volunteering abroad in a place like Costa Rica or Belize.

I decided to apply because I thought it would be good to practice for the future. I did not think I had a chance at winning because I was competing against very smart people that were involved in the community. Well it turns out that I made it through the selection process and am now competing against four others for one of two spots in the program.

There will be a 10 minute personal interview in a week from now. I have an idea of what to do but could use some help.

I plan on reviewing the goals of this project and then comparing that to my motives for applying. What should I wear to an interview like this? It will most likely be conducted by a board of 6 faculty from the school, ranging from teachers to district administrator. When I go in, should I shake each person's hand? I know about good posture and thinking before I speak.. No "um" or "ah"'s.. What else?

This interview means a lot to me because, even if I am not selected, it would give me valuable practice for the ROTC and college interviews.
Thanks everyone

PS - I am only a sophomore so please excuse my nervousness <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_200350-->

It sounds like you have a fairly good handle on what this entails.

For appearance I would definately wear a tie and if you have one a suit. I don't think you could ever be over dressed for an interview like the one you are talking about.

Shake everyones hand and make eye contact with all of them while you are talking. You don't want to single out one person on the board and focus all your eye contact on them.

Don't worry about um's or ah's because when you start focusing on that you really say them more often. Just relax and think before you speak and that will take care of the um's and ah's.

Good luck it sounds like you are well on your way to a good learning experience in another country! :)

I agree, wear a suit if you have one. Be able to talk about why you want to do the program, as well as why it will benefit you and others if they select you. Don't forget to thank them for considering you and for their time! Other than that, it sounds like you have your head screwed on straight.

There will be a 10 minute personal interview in a week from now. I have an idea of what to do but could use some help.

I plan on reviewing the goals of this project and then comparing that to my motives for applying. What should I wear to an interview like this? It will most likely be conducted by a board of 6 faculty from the school, ranging from teachers to district administrator. When I go in, should I shake each person's hand? I know about good posture and thinking before I speak.. No "um" or "ah"'s.. What else?

First off, congratulations in making it this far in the process.

To answer your questions, I would wear a button down shirt and tie, dress pants, and if you have it - a sportscoat/jacket.

I would shake each individuals hand, unless they are behind a desk so large that you would have to crawl on top of it. That would be bad.

Practice the main points you want to make before going to the interview. Don't let that be the first time you speak and find out that it didn't sound as good as you thought it would. Use a teacher, or friends parent as your sounding board to listen and critique you. I would steer clear of using your own parent or guardian because they will be naturally biased to you and know your disposition.

Good luck.

I just want to thank everyone for their help.. I was selected and will be in Africa for two weeks, volunteering at an orphanage. :)

Just be confident. Actually THINK that you are the best candidate they can choose. If you THINK this way it'll come ACROSS. If you don't THINK you're the best candidate they'll feel the vibe coming off you and it makes it that much harder for you.

Confidence gets you far in an interview. Just don't be cocky. That'll make you look bad.

Try not to be nervous as well. If you can manage to be yourself it works very well. I usually end up joking around with my interviewers like I've been friends with them forever. Once I learned these tricks I've always recieved an offer for the what I was interviewing for. It's nice. It will take some practice though.

Just be confident. Actually THINK that you are the best candidate they can choose. If you THINK this way it'll come ACROSS. If you don't THINK you're the best candidate they'll feel the vibe coming off you and it makes it that much harder for you.

Confidence gets you far in an interview. Just don't be cocky. That'll make you look bad.

Try not to be nervous as well. If you can manage to be yourself it works very well. I usually end up joking around with my interviewers like I've been friends with them forever. Once I learned these tricks I've always recieved an offer for the what I was interviewing for. It's nice. It will take some practice though.
He already got the interview!:crazy:

Be confident, but not cocky. Try and show the humility that you have shown here. Wear a suit. Most important - relax! Do not allow nervousness to interfere with your performance in the interview. Prepare well, get a good nights sleep, and be yourself. You have made it this far (and congrats for doing so!) - all you need to do is personify what impressed these people in your application/essay. If you have time, please read "How to Win Friends and Influence People". This is an outstanding book, and frankly the only "self-help" book I have ever read, or will ever read. That book, if you read it and practice what it says, will serve you well over the course of your life.

1) Be confident but not cocky.
2) Be humble.
3) Wear a suit.
4) Relax.

Go into the interview with the idea that you are simply going to meet and make friends with some new people. You will do great, I promise. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

EDIT: DAMN!!! I simply replied to your post - didn't see that you had already gotten the job. Good for you! You couldn't have done it without my help!

Back