Interview and Checkrides with Lost Logbook

jkeller

Looking for candid advice here...I work at a small regional right now as a captain. I recently had my luggageworks bag snatched out of the overhead compartment of the plane I was operating, and it hasn't turned up in a month. At this point, I've lost hope. Airport police don't have any idea who took it since the security footage is grainy.

In my inifinite wisdom, my original paper logbook was in there. It contained around 2100hrs of flight time right up until the day I got hired at the regionals when I started keeping an electronic logbook. Problem is, I never took photocopies of the paper logbook, so all of the specifics of what was in there are now lost. This amounted to around 2100hrs of flight time. So, in short, I have none of the original logbook entries, or even photocopies of them. Yes, I know I'm an idiot.

Good news is that I read that I can use the 8710 from my type ride at the airline to carry over to the electronic logbook. The negative is that I only can get my hands on specific operator/rental records for around 1300hrs of the 2100hrs that were in the original logbook. I have gone to the ends of the globe at this point to get as much documentation of previous flight time as possible...I was a flight instructor at my previous employer, and I did a lot of odds and ends flying (free intro flights, maintenance flights, safety piloting) that there are absolutley no operator records for. On top of that, a few FBOs I flew at are now shuttered. I was able to track down the owners of one, and they said they had no records of me.

Two things have me worried here...

Number one; is this the kiss of death going into a major interview? I've neatly organize all of the rental/operator records and all previous 8710s that I do have with a nice signed/notarized statement, but I know the airlines like to see original logbooks. How can I work through this? It's been literally keeping me up at night for weeks thinking about how screwed I am.

Number two; what's going to happen on my next type ride when I present my "logbook" to the FAA and I don't have any records for almost half of my flying. Am I liable here? I've been reading through this stuff online and I've seen cases where guys got pinned for intentional falsification just because they couldn't verify their hours with operator records.

Any advice you guys may have, or past experiences with this sort of thing, will definitely help put my mind to rest.

Back